Homesite Insurance Company Review
Homesite Insurance Company at a Glance
- Homesite Insurance Company is a property and casualty insurance company headquartered in Boston, MA
- The company offers quick quotes online, or through a direct representative
- Rated A (Excellent) by AM Best
- Rated A+ by the BBB
Homesite pros: Homesite offers quick online quoting and simple, basic, and affordable policies. Rates are very competitive. The company’s website is very easy to navigate and offers a lot of information. Claims can be filed online. Homesite has an A (Excellent) rating from AM Best.
Homesite cons: Homesite’s basic policies leave out some coverage that is typically considered standard for other carriers. The basic policies are good for those searching for cheap coverage, but the company offers only a few upgrades. Customer service reviews are mixed, at best. Many customers complain about poor service and claims resolution.
What Type of Insurance Does Homesite Offer?
Homesite provides an array of personal insurance products that include the following.
- Homeowners insurance
- Renters insurance
- Condo insurance
- Auto insurance
- Term life insurance
Homesite is a direct distribution insurance company. You can get quotes and apply for coverage entirely online. Or, to learn more about the company’s products, visit its website or contact a Homesite representative.
Using our insurance company directory can help you find the best insurance companies that specialize in your specific coverage needs. The company directory can also help you get connected to an agent near you.
What to Know about Homesite
Founded in 1997, Homesite Insurance was one of the first companies to enable customers to purchase home insurance directly online, during a single visit.
The company offers several types of personal insurance policies, including home, renters, condo, auto, term life, and flood insurance.
Homesite Group Incorporated is an affiliate of American Family Insurance. Homesite has an A (Excellent) rating from AM Best, and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. AM Best is a credit rating firm that assesses the creditworthiness of and/or reports on over 16,000 insurance companies worldwide. The AM Best rating points to the insurance company’s ability to pay claims, debts, and other financial obligations in a timely manner. Customers can expect that Homesite has the necessary cash reserves to pay out claims, an essential factor in evaluating any insurance company before purchasing a policy.
What Discounts Does Homesite Offer?
Homesite does not offer as many discounts as other home and auto insurance companies, but it does offer a few, including the following.
- Alarm discount: Homes with a smoke or fire detector or a home security system qualify for a discount.
- Senior citizen discount: Customers who are older than 55 and living on a fixed income are eligible for a discount.
- Newer home discount: Newer homes are eligible for a discount.
- Auto-home discount: Customers who bundle auto and home insurance coverage with Homesite are eligible for a discount.
You can speak with a Homesite representative to learn more about qualifying for savings opportunities.
Find The Right Company Today.
Shopping for a company? We have the right one for you.
Homesite Customer Service
Here's what to know about Homesite’s customer service options.
- Customer service is available by phone, email, online, and via regular mail.
- Phone service is available with the following hours restrictions.
Homesite is a direct distribution insurance company. You can get quotes and apply for coverage entirely online. For more information about customer service options, visit its website or contact a Homesite representative.
What is Homesite’s average claims response time frame?
Homesite does not publish an average claims response time.
What is Homesite’s customer service availability?
Homesite customer service is available by phone, email, regular mail, and online. Customers can perform a variety of policy-related tasks online, including the following.
- Get proof of insurance
- Make payments and manage automatic deductions
- Submit claims and monitor status with real-time updates
- Learn about policy coverage and deductibles
- Manage policy details
What is Homesite’s claims process?
If you need to file a claim with Homesite, you can do so through Homesite’s online customer portal, My Policy. A Homesite home insurance representative will contact you after you’ve submitted your claim to provide information in regard to the claim and the claims process.
You can also file claims by phone.
Does Homesite create a user-friendly experience for customers?
Homesite appears to create a user-friendly experience, although it’s hard to say if the reality of customer experiences matches the company’s branding efforts. Homesite’s official website is very attractive, simple, easy to navigate, and helpful. In addition to providing information about the company, it offers numerous additional resources in addition to explanations of the types of coverage the company offers.
The company offers an entirely online quoting and application process if the customer desires, or you can contact a direct Homesite representative for assistance. Customer service is available by phone, online, or by email. Unfortunately, many customers appear to be dissatisfied with the service they receive once they’ve purchased a policy.
Does Homesite have good homeowners insurance?
Homesite’s basic homeowners insurance policies cover the following items.
- Your home: Covers damage or loss to your dwelling caused by a covered incident, and is based on the cost to rebuild your home.
- Your personal possessions: Covers damage, destruction or theft of your personal property.
- Loss of use: Reimburses you for living expenses that exceed your normal living costs if you cannot live in your home due to a covered loss.
- Medical payments to others (bodily injury liability): Pays for medical bills when someone is injured on your property, regardless of fault.
You can add some upgrades to your Homesite homeowners insurance, including the following.
- Identity theft protection: Covers up to $15,000 of expenses you incur as a direct result of identity theft.
- Personal injury protection: Protects you against claims of libel, slander, and invasion of privacy under your homeowners insurance policy.
- Coverage for valuables: Offers open perils coverage for your valuable items such as jewelry, furs, cameras, musical instruments, silverware, fine arts, and golfer’s equipment.
- Extended coverage on your home: Provides additional coverage, up to 25% or 50% of your Dwelling Coverage, if the amount to replace your home exceeds the amount of coverage provided by your policy.
- Sump pump overflow: This coverage pays for up to $15,000 of water damage that happens as a result of a backup in your drainage system or a malfunctioning sump pump.
- Service line breakdown: If damage occurs to underground systems that lead to the house, including piping or wiring that provides electrical power, heating or waste disposal to your dwelling, this coverage offers protection.
It’s important to understand that most home insurance companies cover personal liability in their basic policies, but Homesite provides this coverage as an option. While the basic Homesite policy covers injuries to others, you need to purchase the option to cover you if you’re sued for libel, slander, and invasion of privacy.
This unique approach makes Homesite an attractive option for people who want basic homeowners insurance at an affordable price.
Is Homesite a good insurance company?
Homesite is a relatively new and fast-growing insurance company. It is financially strong and offers affordable, basic policies entirely online. The company is an attractive option for value-conscious insurance shoppers, but it may not be best for those looking for a lot of options and who may be willing to pay more for them.
Homesite Customer Reviews
|Better Business Bureau|
|“Started a claim process 2 months ago and now I can't even get a response to emails. This has been the absolute worst customer service I have ever had."|
|“Do not purchase from Homesite. Terrible customer service! When I needed help from a supervisor they told me they were too busy and important to resolve customer issues but my time is of no value so I can call over and over - and confirmed they do not care or track whether customer problems are solved because they don’t care about that. Yowza!”|
|“I write this Homesite Insurance review with complete satisfaction! In the fall of 2020, I faced a devastating occurrence in my home. I woke up to water standing about three feet! After getting in contact with my adjuster, I have had absolutely “no worries!” Every step of the way she immediately responded to all of my concerns and made sure Homesite honored every contractual agreement! I would definitely recommend this company to family and friends.”|
|“Been with this company for renter's insurance for several years now. They offer very competitive rates and products. I will be staying with them.”|
|“I started a claim 2 months ago have had companies out to my house for estimates and now I can't get a response from anyone with this company. I have sent numerous emails for the last 3 weeks , no response.”|
TrustedChoice.com's Final Review
We award Homesite Insurance Company a final rating of 3.0 out of 5 stars. To begin with, its high ratings from AM Best and the BBB speak to its financial strength, one of the most important factors in choosing any insurance company.
The company offers homeowners insurance and other personal insurance policies. Its online quoting and application process is becoming increasingly popular, and the company is growing. It currently offers relatively basic coverage with affordable premiums. But upgrades and optional coverage must be added in areas where other insurance companies typically offer standard coverage.
The negative customer satisfaction ratings that we found far outweighed the positive. In order for Homesite to be considered a top-tier insurance company, it needs to garner a better reputation for serving its customers and processing claims in a fair and timely manner.
You can find out more about Homesite Insurance by visiting the carrier’s website or speaking to a Homesite direct representative.
You can also use our exclusive national insurance company directory to find the best insurance companies to meet your needs. The directory helps you locate companies that specialize in your specific coverage needs and get connected to an agent near you.
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.