Trusted Choice's MAPFRE Insurance Score
After considering many different customer reviews along with official MAPFRE reviews and ratings from AM Best and the BBB, we've awarded MAPFRE Insurance our rating of 5 out of 5 stars. Our MAPFRE Insurance review also considers the carrier's available coverages, customer service offerings, nationwide reach, and other factors.
Initially founded in 1972, MAPFRE is currently the largest private passenger automobile insurer, commercial automobile insurer, and homeowners insurer in Massachusetts. The carrier is a part of the MAPFRE Group, a global insurance company located on five continents. The entire group currently provides coverage for about 26 million policyholders worldwide, and MAPFRE Insurance has expanded to offer its coverage in 19 states across the country.
MAPFRE Insurance Company at a Glance
- Founded in 1972
- Offers a variety of coverages
- Offers coverage for individuals and businesses
- Coverage available in 19 states
- “A” (excellent) rating by AM Best
- “A+” (excellent) rating by Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- Several discounts available
- Strong financial stability
- 24/7 claims reporting
- Fast claims response
MAPFRE Insurance Pros & Cons
- Well-established carrier with nearly half a century of experience in the insurance industry.
- Offers coverage for individuals and businesses and offers several types of coverage, including watercraft insurance, auto insurance, travel insurance, umbrella insurance, and more.
- Offers several discounts.
- MAPFRE offers 24/7 claims reporting and a prompt claims response time frame.
- Has high ratings through both AM Best and the BBB.
- Has strong financial stability.
- Coverage is not available nationwide.
- Some reviewers have reported slow processing on certain claims.
To find insurance in your state, use our national insurance company directory to find the best company to meet your needs. You can locate insurance companies that specialize in your specific coverage needs and get connected to an agent near you.
MAPFRE Insurance Reviews by Customers and Experts
“Overall MAPFRE was a pleasure to work with. They outlined coverage and costs clearly, with rapid responses to questions pertaining to claims and billing.”
Review date: 10/2/20
“Honestly the rates were comparable to other companies. The agent I went through made everything easy to sign up for. The online site is lacking though in features. Online bill paying takes a while to get to when you log on."
Review Date: 5/27/20
|The Better Business Bureau|
“I have been a customer for 7 years and have never had any bad experiences with MAPFRE. As I'm in the process of buying a new car I called them several times to ensure that all would go smoothly during the transition. I was worried about not having enough coverage, that I would see my rates skyrocket if I changed my coverage and everything in between and each team member I spoke to was incredible. They even called me to make sure that all the options I had discussed with an earlier spokesperson were confirmed and that we could proceed. I have all my faith in MAPFRE and they really came through. I had a wonderful person named Darrell helping me the most. He was upbeat, helpful and took the time to explain each and every option to me. He went above and beyond and should be recognized for his commitment to customer service. Thank you all for everything the last few days, I look forward to being your customer for years to come."
Review Date: 4/14/21
|The Better Business Bureau|
“Very quick service after serious accident w/injury. General questions also answered professionally & quickly."
Review Date: 4/27/20
“We have been very pleased overall with Mapfre Insurance. We have been with Mapfre for over 20 years with the exception of one year when we switched bc we got a better deal with All state because of a young driver on our policy. But the very next year, we price matched with Mapfre and they had the better price."
Review Date: 7/30/19
What Type of Insurance Does MAPFRE Insurance Offer?
MAPFRE Insurance offers a variety of insurance choices for individuals and businesses. Their products include:
- Auto insurance
- Property insurance
- Travel insurance
- Business insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Motorcycle insurance
- Watercraft insurance
- Boat insurance
- Yacht insurance
- Recreational vehicle insurance
If you’re looking for any of these coverage solutions to protect yourself or your business, MAPFRE Insurance may be just the right insurance company for you.
What to Know about MAPFRE Insurance
MAPFRE Insurance was founded in 1972, giving the carrier nearly half a century of experience in the insurance industry. The carrier is currently the largest private passenger automobile insurer, commercial automobile insurer, and homeowners insurer in the state of Massachusetts. MAPFRE’s catalog of insurance products is quite extensive, offering protection for watercraft and other vehicles, travel, property, excess liability, and more.
The carrier is a part of the MAPFRE Group, which is a global insurance company located on five continents. The MAPFRE Group is one of the leading insurers in the Spanish market. More than 36,000 employees make up MAPFRE’s team, and the entire group currently provides coverage for about 26 million policyholders around the world.
Today, MAPFRE Insurance has expanded to offer its coverage in 19 states across the country. The insurance company works with a large network of more than 5,000 independent insurance agents and brokers. Independent insurance agents allow customers to have a more complete and personalized experience while shopping for the right coverage.
Thanks to its variety of insurance products offered, wide reach, and financial strength, MAPFRE Insurance has earned itself a reputation as a financially stable insurance company with a strong outlook for the future. AM Best, the leading global credit rating agency monitoring the insurance industry, gives MAPFRE Insurance an “A” rating, indicating the carrier is an excellent choice for insurance customers. High ratings from AM Best assure customers that MAPFRE Insurance is capable of offering guaranteed, secure coverage from a trustworthy and reputable carrier.
Established in 1899, AM Best is one of the oldest rating companies in the world. Reviews from AM Best indicate an insurance company’s financial strength and creditworthiness and are based on comprehensive evaluations of the company’s operating performance, business profile, and balance sheet. AM Best’s rating system allows customers to make an informed decision about who they can trust to meet their needs in the short term, and also who will remain a strong, financially sound company in the long term.
What Discounts Does MAPFRE Insurance Offer?
MAPFRE Insurance offers several competitive discounts for its customers, especially on auto insurance.
MAPFRE Auto Insurance Discounts
- Annual mileage discount: Offered to auto insurance customers who drive less than a specified number of miles, typically 10,000, per year.
- AAA members discount: Offered to auto insurance customers who are members of AAA.
- Paid-in-full discount: Offered to auto insurance customers who pay their entire year’s premium upfront, rather than in monthly increments.
- Multi-car discount: Offered to auto insurance customers who insure more than one vehicle through MAPFRE Insurance.
- Green discount: Offered to auto insurance customers who own or lease a hybrid or electric vehicle.
MAPFRE Home Insurance Discounts
- New home discount: Offered to customers who insure new construction homes through MAPFRE.
- Security discount: Offered to customers who have homes with qualifying security devices, such as burglar alarms.
- No-claims discount: Offered to MAPFRE customers who remain claims-free for a certain amount of time.
Your independent insurance agent can help you find more information on additional discounts offered by MAPFRE Insurance and other ways to save money through the insurance company, helping you to find the coverage you need at the rate you deserve.
MAPFRE Insurance Customer Service
MAPFRE Insurance allows customers to report claims via phone or online at any time. The carrier also provides the following customer service options:
- Online claims reporting
- Phone claims reporting
- Online bill pay
- Snail mail contact option
- General customer service inquiry hotline has the following hour restrictions:
|Monday-Friday||8:30 am - 5 pm|
The best way to ensure a smooth customer service experience is to work with an independent insurance agent. These agents can help handle claims and other concerns for you, so you can relax and enjoy your coverage.
Connect with a MAPFRE Agent Today.
Shopping for insurance? MAPFRE has you covered.
MAPFRE Insurance FAQ
MAPFRE is a property and casualty insurance company that also provides auto insurance, both private passenger and commercial. MAPFRE is currently the 19th-largest personal auto insurer in the US and the 20th-largest personal lines insurer. The carrier also offers several other products, including motorcycle insurance, business insurance, term life insurance, and watercraft insurance.
MAPFRE Insurance allows customers to report their claims 24/7. Their official website states that customers will typically be contacted within one business day of submitting a new claim.
MAPFRE Insurance allows customers to file claims anytime over the phone, online, or through snail mail. The carrier’s phone lines for customer service inquiries have restricted hours, Monday-Friday. Customers can pay their bills through the official website as well. The carrier also has a social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, which makes them even more accessible to customers.
MAPFRE Insurance allows its customers to file claims anytime through multiple media. The official website details their auto claims process as follows:
- Report a Claim: Customers can contact MAPFRE's 24/7/365 claims department to report their auto insurance claim. The official website states this process should take between 10-15 minutes. Customers can also file claims online.
- Damage Appraisal: MAPFRE will arrange for an appraiser to inspect the damage to the customer's vehicle. The customer will be provided with a written assessment via special delivery or by mail. An American Commerce appraiser can visit customers at their home, their workplace, or the repair facility of choice for their vehicle.
- Payment: Payments will be sent to the customer once the verdict is reached. The customer's deductible amount will be deducted from their reimbursement.
- Repairs: After getting a damage appraisal, customers can schedule their vehicle for repairs at the shop of their choosing. The final reimbursement the customer receives may not match the original appraisal amount estimated. Should the amount of damage found by the repair shop differ from the appraisal, MAPFRE will attempt to reach an "agreed price."
To check on the status of their claim, customers can get in touch with their independent insurance agent, call the carrier, or log into their online account.
MAPFRE Insurance’s official website is highly intuitive and easy to navigate. Prospective and current customers alike can easily locate important information, and pages are fleshed out well enough to provide satisfactory responses. The carrier also lists specific information about its claims process and discount options, which is a courtesy not provided by all insurance companies. MAPFRE Insurance offers 24/7 claims reporting for its customers through multiple media as well. Overall, MAPFRE Insurance’s user-friendliness experience is among the best of all carriers on the market today.
MAPFRE Insurance offers a wide selection of coverages, including auto insurance. The insurance company offers the following coverages for auto insurance customers:
- Liability coverage
- Medical payments
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Substitute transportation (coverage for a rental car)
- Towing and labor coverage
- Uninsured motorist coverage
- AutoMaster Package Endorsement (offers perks such as personal belongings coverage)
MAPFRE Insurance also offers various optional benefits such as disappearing deductibles, accident forgiveness, auto glass repair, and the DriveAdvisor Program, which provides online tips to help insured drivers become safer on the road. Your independent insurance agent can help you find out even more about MAPFRE Insurance’s auto insurance policies, as well as their many other products offered.
MAPFRE Insurance has been around for several decades now, and its high ratings through both AM Best and the BBB reflect that. There’s also plenty of glowing customer feedback about the carrier spotted across the web. Combined with a sizeable catalog of insurance options, MAPFRE Insurance can certainly be considered a good insurance company.
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.