Delaware is a great place to take a beautiful motorcycle ride. Hitting the road on your bike, and cruising Fenwick Highway to Dewey Beach, or taking a day tour of the Brandywine Scenic Byway are just a few of the opportunities to take in the stunning landscape and history of Delaware.
There are, however, inherent risks for all motorcycle riders. From curvy roads and excessive speeds to inattentive motorists, motorcycle accidents can and will happen. Beyond wearing a helmet and staying safe on the road, one big way to protect yourself is to have motorcycle insurance. Before you search for motorcycle insurance quotes, however, it's important to keep the following in mind.
Motorcycle Accidents Can Happen to Anyone
According to Delaware traffic reports and laws:
- 17 motorcyclists were killed in crashes in 2012 alone. Five of those riders were not wearing a helmet.
- There were 130,974 traffic accidents in 2012.
- Riders 19 years and younger must wear a helmet and eye protection at all times, and each rider, regardless of age, must have a helmet available on the motorcycle.
Delaware is a state that's very motorcycle friendly, with dirt riding opportunities, beautiful, scenic roads, motorcycle clubs, and even a domestic violence awareness ride put on by the state troopers.
Even though the state loves its motorcyclists, it's important to realize that even the most cautious rider can be involved in an accident. Unfortunately, even a small accident can prove serious when there is a motorcycle involved.
What Is Motorcycle Insurance?
Motorcycle insurance quotes will typically resemble auto insurance quotes. Because the motorcycle is a vehicle, you are required by Delaware law to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance on your motorcycle. A motorcycle insurance policy offers many different types of coverage, including:
- Bodily injury and property damage liability: If you are at fault for an accident that hurts someone else or damages their property, this coverage is designed to protect you from a major financial hit to cover the injuries and property replacement/repair you're liable for.
- Collision coverage: If you happen to collide with something other than another vehicle, such as a guardrail, deer, or rock, this coverage is designed to cover the cost to repair your motorcycle.
- Comprehensive: This type of insurance is very important to have. It covers "other than collision" damage, including damage from fire, wind, hail, arson, or theft.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists: If you are involved in an accident, and the responsible party doesn't have insurance, or their insurance limits aren't high enough to cover your damages, this coverage will kick in.
- Accessories Coverage: If you have expensive accessories added to your motorcycle, such as custom fenders, custom helmet, or expensive gear, this coverage can make sure that gear is covered.
- Roadside Assistance/Towing: If you end up with a flat, or have a mechanical problem, this coverage can get you back on the road quickly.
What Types of Motorcycles are Covered?
There are many types of motorcycles available for purchase, and each one can be covered by a motorcycle insurance policy in Delaware. Here are just a few of the different types of motorcycles that can be covered:
- Classic motorcycles
- Dirt bikes
- Custom motorcycles
- Sport bike
Nearly any type of motorcycle can be covered in Delaware with motorcycle insurance. The trick is finding an insurance agent who can help you comparison shop for coverage.
What Does a Motorcycle Insurance Quote Cost in Delaware?
Quotes are usually free, but the premium they represent is not. Since every rider is different, every quote for motorcycle insurance is different. There are many factors that go into deciding a price for motorcycle insurance. You should be prepared to answer a few questions regarding your motorcycle and your coverage. Most Delaware insurance companies will consider the following when calculating your quote:
- Type of motorcycle
- Age/make/model of motorcycle
- Price of motorcycle at purchase
- Any accessories/upgrades you've made to the motorcycle
- Credit score
- Age/Driving History
- Where you will use the motorcycle
- Where motorcycle will be stored
Are There Discounts Available on Motorcycle Insurance?
Like most insurance policies, a motorcycle insurance policy may have discounts available depending on your personal situation. Here are just a few of the types of discounts that may be available:
- Multi-policy discount
- Good driver discount
- Claims-free discount
- Lay-up policy discount (If you don't use your motorcycle during Delaware's winter months, you can suspend coverage during that time)
- Military/Industry affiliation discount
It's always a smart idea to ask about any discounts you may not be aware of when getting a motorcycle insurance quote to be sure that you are getting the most for your heard-earned money.
How Do I Find Motorcycle Insurance in Delaware?
Whether you already have motorcycle insurance, or just purchased your first chopper, you may have questions or concerns regarding your insurance coverage, a Trusted Choice® agent is always available to help answer questions, review coverage, or even help you file a claim. Contact a Trusted Choice insurance agent in your area to find out how you can take in the beautiful Delaware scenery with peace of mind knowing you and your bike are covered.