Heading out for a camping trip in Delaware is easy with the vast amount of coastline and forests to explore. If your camping vehicle of choice is a recreational vehicle, you'll need to consider the potential risks of driving or hauling a large trailer around the state. The best way to protect your adventures is with Delaware RV insurance.
Finding proper insurance takes some research, and it's always best to call in an expert for assistance. A local independent insurance agent has experience in pulling RV insurance quotes in Delaware and can help you find the coverage you need in case an accident or disaster occurs.
What Does RV Insurance Cover in Delaware?
RV insurance protects you if an unexpected disaster causes damage to your RV or an accident causes injury to you or others.
For comprehensive coverage, you need a variety of policies. The good news is that your coverage is tailored to meet your needs. You can pick and choose which policies work best for your lifestyle and how you plan on using your RV.
Basic coverages are provided through traditional RV insurance which includes:
- Liability insurance: This coverage pays for medical bills and legal fees if you're in an at-fault accident where others are injured or have property damage.
- Collision insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled by a non-collision event such as a hailstorm or theft.
- Personal injury protection: This coverage will help pay for any personal injuries you endure in an accident whether you were the at-fault driver or not.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: This coverage helps pay for any damage that results from an accident with another driver who is underinsured or does not have any insurance coverage.
Many RV owners are adequately covered with the above policies, but you may have additional needs based on the type of RV you own, how often you use it, where you go, and its features. You can speak with your agent about these add-on policies to complete your policy if necessary.
- Contents coverage
- Total loss replacement
- Roadside assistance
- Full-timer liability
- Vacation liability
- Attached accessories coverage
When selecting policies, be sure to set policy limits that are sufficient enough to cover a total replacement or the total value of your RV.
Is RV Insurance Required in Delaware?
There are three scenarios where RV insurance is required in Delaware: if you've financed the RV, if the RV is drivable (as opposed to towed), or if the RV is rented.
When insurance is required, you'll be legally obligated to purchase liability coverage and personal injury protection insurance at the following minimums.
- Bodily injury liability – $25,000 per person and $50,000 per incident
- Property damage liability – $10,000 per incident
- Personal injury protection - $15,000 per person and $30,000 for all persons per incident
While these minimums will provide you coverage, we recommend discussing additional insurance with your independent insurance agent. You never know when a severe storm or unexpected accident will cause serious damage to your RV.
Save on RV Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
How Much Does RV Insurance Cost in Delaware?
Insurance premiums will depend on the type of RV you have and several other factors that your insurance will use to calculate your potential costs. There are many different types of RVs from small to large, drivable and towable, and each one is unique to insure.
- Class A RV: The largest RV available — a home on wheels.
- Class B RV: A smaller version of an RV — a camper van that can include a pop-up.
- Class C RV: The mid-size version of an RV and between a Class A and Class B in size and amenities.
- Towable Trailers: Camper trailers, travel trailers, and fifth-wheel trailers that can be towed behind a truck or SUV.
Other factors that will be taken into consideration for your insurance quote include:
- RV size, age, and condition
- Your location
- Where you'll use your RV
- Your experience driving or hauling an RV
- Value of your belongings inside the RV
- The type of coverage you purchase
- The amount of coverage you purchase
- Your claim history
- Chosen deductible
Similar to Delaware car insurance, you may qualify for RV insurance discounts on your premium for being a safe driver, bundling with your homeowners or auto insurance, being a loyal customer, or other opportunities. Your agent can help break down potential discounts available.
What Are the Best RV Insurance Companies in Delaware?
You'll have a few different options when searching for RV insurance carriers in Delaware, and it's important to pull quotes from several different companies. The more you shop, the better rates you can get.
An independent insurance agent is more likely to have worked with the best RV insurance companies in Delaware and can provide insight into which company may fit your needs and your budget best.
How Can an Independent Insurance Agent Help Me Find the Best RV Insurance in Delaware?
Having a knowledgeable independent insurance agent on your side when searching for RV insurance quotes in Delaware can make your life much easier. Agents are familiar with the RV lifestyle as well as local laws and guidelines for coverage.
After you speak with an agent free of charge, they'll shop multiple quotes and present you with your coverage options. They can answer your questions and guide you in your purchasing decision. Down the road, if you need to file a claim, your agent can assist you with that process. Finding a local agent near you is the best way to start the process.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.