Delaware is a state famous for its beautiful coastline, picturesque forests, and lively arts culture. There are many opportunities for outdoor hobbyists to enjoy, from hiking and fishing to cave exploration and rock climbing.
Delaware has many opportunities for RVers to enjoy what the state has to offer. Whether it's a campground with a full hook-up out in the mountains, or a primitive spot by the coast, Delaware has a camping spot just for you. One factor that plays a major part in your enjoyment of the RV lifestyle is having RV insurance covering your camping plans. If an accident or disaster occurs, you can have peace of mind knowing your insurance is there to protect you.
As you search for RV insurance quotes, it's important to keep a few things in mind.
Statistics and Insurance Requirements for RVs in Delaware
- In 2012, there were 21,202 traffic crashes
- 7,705 people were injured in 2012, along with 116 people killed
- These accidents accounted for an economic loss of $485 million dollars.
- The average RV owner drives their RV 4,238 miles a year.
RVs are popular for many different types of vacationers. Some, like retirees, love being able to sell their home, purchase an RV, and travel to new places. For younger families, RVs offer a quick way to get to a campsite without the fuss of putting a tent together or loading the car down with supplies.
One fact remains true, no matter the type of RV or motorhome you own in Delaware: Insurance is required if you've financed the RV, if the RV is drivable, or if the RV is rented.
Does RV Insurance Cover My Ride in Delaware?
There are many different types of RVs, and each one has different uses and features. Every RV can be insured, including the following:
- Class A motorhome: The largest motorhome on the road, also called a diesel pusher.
- Class B motorhome: The smallest type of motorhome on the road.
- Class C motorhome: A middle-of-the road motorhome, with optional pop-outs.
- RV bus conversion: Some people undertake converting a bus into a motorhome. These may be insured.
- RV travel trailer: From toy trailers to pop-up campers, if it's towed behind a vehicle, it can be covered.
- Fifth wheel RVs: These trailers typically hook onto the bed of a truck via a hitch in the bed near the cab, also called a "Gooseneck".
- Slide-in camper: These campers slide into a truck, and usually feature pop-outs or other ways to maximize space.
As you can imagine, there are dozens of different makes, models, and types of RVs on the road in Delaware. If your RV or motorhome isn't on this list, don't fret -- there is coverage available for every type of camper.
What Does RV Insurance Cover in Delaware?
Typically, when purchasing RV insurance, you are offered packages containing various coverage options. Here are a few of the coverage types that may be available to cover your RV in Delaware:
- Liability coverage: If you cause damage to property or vehicles during an accident, this can cover the damaged party's property, any bodily injury expenses, and even your legal defense if you're sued. Setting high limits on your liability coverage can be a smart strategy to help protect you financially if you cause an accident.
- Collision coverage: This coverage will repair your RV if you are in an accident.
- Comprehensive coverage: This coverage covers everything other than collision, such as fire, theft, and vandalism.
- Accessories coverage: If your RV has an awning, propane tank, or other accessories, this coverage will cover those.
- Branch collision coverage: RV's are tall vehicles. If you strike a low-lying branch, this coverage will repair the damage.
- Roadside assistance coverage: If you end up broken down on the side of the road, this coverage will help you get the assistance you need.
- Medical payments coverage: If you're involved in an accident that requires medical attention, this coverage will pay for the medical bills associated with the event.
- Insured/underinsured coverage: If you are involved in an accident with someone who is uninsured/underinsured, this coverage can help repair your vehicle and pay for medical treatment you or your passengers might need.
- Full-timer’s coverage: Many people live in their RVs. This policy resembles a homeowners policy in coverage.
As a reminder, you must carry insurance on any RV that is drivable, financed or rented within the state of Delaware.
How Much Is an RV Insurance Quote in Delaware?
RV insurance quotes vary based on a number of factors. When shopping for motorhome insurance quotes in Delaware, be sure to get familiar with your RV and have any pertinent information ready. Your agent may ask the following questions, which will affect your quote:
- Type of RV
- Length of RV
- Value of RV
- How often RV will be used
- Value of belongings in RV
- Where RV will be stored
- If anyone else will be driving or staying in the RV
- Coverage limits on the host vehicle
- How far RV will be driven (If it will cross state lines)
- Preferred coverage limits
- Preferred deductible
Are There Discounts Available on RV Insurance in Delaware?
Typically, there are discounts available on most insurance policies. While shopping for a motorhome insurance quote in Delaware, be sure to ask about discounts such as the following:
- Multi-policy discount
- Safety course discount
- Full-timer discount
- Paid in full discount
- Good driver discount
- Good credit discount
- RV club discount
- Military discount
- Government/federal employee discount
- Educator discount
- Healthcare professional discount
Always be sure to ask about all cost savings available to be sure you're taking advantage of as many discounts as possible.
How Do I Get RV Insurance in Delaware?
When searching for RV insurance in Delaware, it's important to have a knowledgeable insurance agent who is familiar with the RV lifestyle. A Trusted Choice® agent is always available to help answer questions, go over policy options, and even help you file a claim. Contact a Trusted Choice agent near you to find out how you can hit the road in Delaware knowing you and your RV are protected with an insurance policy that meets your needs and budget.