New Mexico's open land and expansive trails make it perfect for ATV enthusiasts. There are ATV groups throughout the state, continually updating websites and forums with trail guides, tips and tricks, and photos of their explorations. While you're out and about having fun riding the trails in New Mexico, it's important to have ATV insurance riding with you. Before you search for ATV insurance quotes, brush up on some of the basics.
New Mexico ATV Statistics & Laws
While riding is fun, New Mexico has laws in place to protect everyone on the trails.
- ATV riders under age 18 must wear helmets and eye protection, along with having a safety permit.
- ATV operators under age 18 may not carry passengers.
- From 1982-2011, there have been 94 ATV related deaths.
- From 1982-2011, 34 children have died while riding ATVs
Being safe on the trails is important for everyone, even those older than 18 should wear a helmet. Doing safety checks before you hit the trails to look for broken lights or mechanical problems is another way to stay safe.
What Does ATV Insurance Cover?
ATV insurance will protect your family's finances in case of an accident, damage, injury or theft to the ATV. The coverage you can choose from is typically the following:
- Liability coverage will cover any costs associated with an accident including bodily injury and property damage. It will also cover you if you need to defend yourself in a lawsuit.
- Collision coverage will reimburse you for damages to your ATV after an accident to keep it in pristine condition.
- Comprehensive coverage is optional, however, it will protect you if your ATV is damaged by severe weather, fire, theft or vandalism.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is also optional, but will cover your costs if another rider is at fault in an accident and doesn't carry insurance.
If you are involved in an ATV accident in New Mexico, it's important to document as much as possible with pictures and witness statements in order to get the claim effectively handled.
ATV Insurance also covers more than just your basic 4-wheeler. ATV insurance covers the following vehicles:
ATV insurance will also typically cover any passengers, however, drivers must be 16 or older.
How Much Does ATV Insurance Cost?
ATV Insurance is usually affordable for most users, however every policy is different and uses some of the following to determine rates:
- Age of riders/passengers
- Make/model of ATV
- Top speed
- How often it will be used
- Where it will be used
- Where it will be stored
These are just a few of the factors that go into determining policy rates. Most New Mexico insurance companies offer discounts to help you save on your premiums, such as:
- Multi-policy discounts
- Good driver discounts
- Discounts for making a one-time annual payment
- Safety certification discounts
- Discounts for installing an anti-theft device
- Partnership organizations/industry discounts
With these discounts available to many riders, ATV insurance is usually very affordable for those looking to protect their ATV with an insurance policy.
How to get ATV Insurance Quotes
Whether you're just starting out getting quotes, or are looking to make sure your current policy has sufficient coverage limits, a Trusted Choice® agent is always available to help you navigate the windy roads of ATV insurance and make sure that you're on the right path and covered-no matter what the trail throws at you. Contact one of our experienced, knowledgeable agents today to find out how they can help.