Whether you are a new homeowner in Canton or have lived there for decades, it's smart to reevaluate your homeowners insurance to make sure you have the best coverage. For most people, their home is a huge financial investment. Having the right types and amounts of home insurance is crucial to your ability to repair or rebuild your home after a catastrophe.
Your agent can shop dozens of insurance companies on your behalf. Talk with an independent insurance agent in Canton to make sure you get affordable coverage that works for your home and situation.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Canton, OH?
Residents of Canton enjoy the lower-than-average home insurance rates offered by Ohio.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- Ohio average yearly premium: $819
- Ohio is one of the least expensive states for home insurance.
While averages offer important information about what to expect, your home insurance premiums will depend on a number of important factors about you and your house.
- The size, age, and value of your home
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached home, condo, manufactured home, vacation home, etc.)
- The number of stories in your home and whether it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like car insurance or life insurance
Comparing insurance quotes allows you to choose the policy that offers the best combination of coverage while remaining within your budget. Your agent can help you strike a balance between value and cost.
Does Canton Homeowners Insurance Cover against Catastrophic Events?
Your home insurance policy covers you against many common hazards and catastrophic events. In Ohio, there are a few common weather concerns that your insurance can help you recover from.
Your agent will work with you to make sure you have enough coverage to recover from a disaster.
Catastrophic Events in Ohio
- Number of federally declared disasters in Ohio: 54
- Most common reasons for disasters in OH: Severe storms
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Ohio: 19.2
The top five risks for homeowners in Ohio:
- Severe storms and lightning damage
- Flooding and water damage
- Burglary and other property crimes
- Heavy snow
While most common hazards are covered by a good home insurance policy, damage from flooding may not be covered. Even if the flooding is the result of a covered weather event, the resulting damage could be excluded from your policy.
If you are concerned about damage from flooding in Canton, talk with your agent about purchasing a supplemental flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Why Do Canton Homeowners Need Liability Insurance?
Homeowners facing liability lawsuits often use their home insurance policy to cover the legal fees, medical bills, and other costs associated with a covered event. Your home insurance is designed to cover common reasons for liability lawsuits.
Here are some incidents that may require you to use your home insurance in a liability lawsuit:
- Dog bites
- Home accidents
- Falling trees
- Intoxicated guests
- Injured domestic workers
If you are legally responsible for a covered event, your home insurance policy could protect you from financial harm. In many cases, a liability lawsuit isn't the homeowner's fault. Accidents happen, and your home insurance can help you meet your legal obligations.
You may want more liability coverage than your home insurance offers. An umbrella insurance policy offers additional coverage at an affordable rate.
Does Canton Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglaries?
In Ohio, the risk of having your home broken into is a bit higher than the average across the country.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Ohio: 5.76
Even though your chances of being the victim of burglary are slim, it's good to know that your home insurance covers any associated property damage. You'll be compensated for your losses after a covered event with the right type of homeowners policy.
Having a home security system in place could earn you a discount on your home insurance policy premium. Talk with your agent about your insurance company's requirements to make sure you get any applicable discounts.
What about Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance?
You may own a vacation home or second home outside of Canton. Even though it isn't your primary residence, your second home requires the right types and amounts of home insurance.
Your second home or vacation home has special risks that must be addressed with the proper type of insurance.
- Tenant-occupied second homes have higher property damage and liability risks. You may need landlord insurance to protect your investment.
- Vacation homes that are unoccupied throughout most of the year have a higher risk of burglary and property damage. Vacant home insurance can help you manage this risk.
Your independent insurance agent can review your current coverage with you and make sure you get the right policies to protect all of your properties.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Canton, OH?
Finding an insurance policy from a trustworthy company is much easier with help from an independent insurance agent. Your agent works for you to help you find the lowest premiums combined with the best coverage.
Contact an insurance agent today to get started comparing your customized home insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.