Ohio RV Insurance

Find the right RV insurance policy for you.

Ann Herro, Insurance Expert Written by Ann Herro
Ann Herro, Insurance Expert
Written by Ann Herro

Ann Herro has been writing about insurance and employee benefits for over 15 years. She has covered topics as easy as insuring a car, and as difficult as transparency in healthcare costs.


When you hop in your RV and hit the road, you're ready for some fun. Maybe you're traveling to Columbus for tailgating and a Buckeye game, or to Cleveland for good times and tunes at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, or even down State Route 664 for some outdoor adventures at Old Man's Cave in Hocking Hills. No matter where you're headed in your RV, you can travel safely with the right Ohio RV insurance.

Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.


Save on RV Insurance

Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.

OH Road Risks for One Year

  • Injury crashes: 72,305
  • Fatal injury crashes: 941
  • Property damage only crashes: 218,917
  • Total crashes: 292,163

What Does Ohio RV Insurance Cover?

The roads of Ohio are fun, but they can also be risky. When you travel, you want to have confidence that you're prepared in the event of an unforeseen mishap. RV insurance provides you that peace of mind.

RV or motorhome insurance is similar to car insurance, but it has some extra protections that are specific to RVs. Most states, including Ohio, require drivers to carry liability insurance. This coverage protects you from lawsuits and liability claims if you're at fault in a car accident. Currently, Ohio requires the following minimum coverage limits.

  • $12,500 per person injured or killed in an accident
  • $25,000 per accident for all injuries or deaths
  • $7,500 per accident for property damage

A new Ohio law will increase theses minimums starting December 22, 2013. Here are the new minimum coverage limits.

  • $25,000 per person injured or killed in an accident
  • $50,000 per accident for all injuries or deaths
  • $25,000 per accident for property damage

Most financial professionals agree that motorists should have more than the required minimum coverage and coverage limits. This can protect your home, assets, and future income from the expense of a substantial lawsuit following an accident.

Other RV Coverage Options You Need

Beyond liability insurance, you also need to protect yourself and your vehicle from uninsured motorists, underinsured motorists and property damage. Uninsured motorist coverage insures you in the event that you are in an accident with a driver who is not carrying the legally required insurance. Underinsured motorist is similar. It covers you if you're in accident with someone who has too little insurance to pay for the full extent of the damages to you or your vehicle.

You'll need two different coverages to protect your RV from damage in an accident. Collision pays for damage to your RV if you collide with any object other than an animal. "Other than collision," or comprehensive insurance, pays for damage to your RV caused by animals, falling objects, hail, vandalism or theft.

How to Protect More than Your RV

Many RV owners also use their motorhomes as vacation homes, so you may need additional coverage to protect yourself from the extra risks of living in your vehicle temporarily. Your RV coverage can provide the following protection:

  • Personal belongings: This coverage protects your personal property on board the RV.
  • Equipment and attached accessories: This option covers extra equipment, such as a satellite dish or awning attached to your RV.
  • Campsite and vacation: This liability coverage is necessary if you use your RV or motorhome as a temporary residence on vacation or at a campsite.
  • Emergency expenses: This add-on provides temporary living expenses or travel expenses if your RV is disabled by a covered event.
  • Towing and roadside: This option pays for towing services or roadside assistance.

How to Protect Your RV if It Is Your Full-time Residence

If you use your RV as your permanent residence, you'll also need to carry full-timer RV coverage. With this coverage, you get risk protections found in a typical homeowners policy and more, such as:

  • Personal liability: Pays liability claims and legal defense costs if anyone suffers bodily injury or property damage on the premises of your RV.
  • Medical payments to others: Provides medical payments to others for injuries incurred while in your RV.
  • Loss assessment: Covers specific assessments that result from your participation as a tenant or property owner in an association.
  • Storage shed contents: Covers your personal belongings while in a storage facility.

Save on RV Insurance

Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.

The Types of Vehicles You Can Cover with Ohio RV Insurance

No matter what kind of RV, motorhome, or trailer you take on the road, there is likely an Ohio motorhome insurance policy to cover it. Here are examples of the types of RVs and motorhomes that are insurable:


  • Class A
  • Class B or Van Campers
  • Class C
  • Converted Bus

Towable RVs

  • Folding Camping Trailers
  • Truck Campers
  • Conventional Travel Trailers
  • Fifth-Wheel Travel Trailers
  • Sport Utility Travel Trailers
  • Travel Trailers with Expandable Ends

Get Your Ohio Motorhome Insurance Quotes Now

Before you get back on the road, make sure you have the Ohio RV insurance you need. A Trusted Choice agent can review your current policy and provide you additional coverage or new coverage options. An independent agent can compare hundreds of insurance companies, coverage options, and rates to find just the right coverage for you and your budget.

Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Facebook Share this page on LinkedIn