Mobile homes are a popular choice in Wyoming. In fact, this state ranks sixth in the country for mobile home ownership. If you own a mobile home, also known as a manufactured home, you need mobile home insurance to protect your investment. Quotes on manufactured home insurance are easy to find and can fit a wide variety of budgets and risks. Because damage from fire and wind are more likely to occur in a mobile home than in a site-built home, it is even more important to purchase the right kind of coverage. This can mean the difference between rebuilding debt free after a catastrophe or going far into debt in an effort to get back into suitable housing.
Weather Extremes in Wyoming
These extreme weather events occurred in Wyoming between 1950 and 2010:
- There were 1,174 incidences of severe thunderstorm winds reported in WY.
- WY experienced 89 blizzards.
- 2,340 hailstorms struck WY.
- 411 heavy snows hit the state.
Mobile homes are more prone to damage from winds and heavy snows, so it is very important to make sure you have the right kind of coverage to take care of repairs after a storm.
What Is Manufactured Home Insurance?
Manufactured home insurance, or mobile home insurance, is a special kind of homeowners insurance. Like a typical homeowners policy, it covers certain kinds of physical damage to the structure and surrounding property. It also provides liability coverage. However, even though mobile homes are usually less expensive than site-built homes, mobile home insurance may cost slightly more than a similar homeowners policy. This is because manufactured homes are made of lighter materials. Thus, they are at a higher risk of sustaining damage.
What About Modular Homes?
Manufacturers usually build modular homes from smaller factory-assembled pieces. Builders then attach the modules to a foundation on site, much like a traditionally built home.
Manufactures assemble mobile homes off site for the most part, and builders then strap them to a foundation or piers.
Because modular homes are similar to site-built homes, they usually require a standard homeowners policy, not a mobile home policy.
What Does Mobile Home Insurance Cover?
Mobile home insurance can protect you financially from most of the major risks you face in Wyoming. It covers natural events such as fire, hail, strong winds, excessive snowfall and lightning. It also covers crimes like vandalism and burglary. The following are some of the most popular types of mobile home coverage:
- Property damage: This can pay the replacement cost or actual cash value of your mobile home if a covered event destroys or damages the home. This coverage can also extend to outbuildings, garages and the rest of your land.
- Contents: This can help with the cost of replacing your furniture, clothing, electronics and appliances, up to the limits on your policy. Most people keep an average of $20,000 in personal property in the home, so this coverage can come in very handy if you lose all of your belongings to a fire or a burglary.
- Liability: If a guest or neighbor sustains injuries on your property, whether by a dog bite, a loose handrail, an icy step or a pool accident, you could be financially liable. Liability coverage can help with the costs of a court settlement and your legal defense, up to the limits on your policy.
Please note that mobile home insurance does not usually cover floods. Flooding is one of the most common disasters that destroy homes in the U.S., so it is a good idea to look into coverage. If your community participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, you can usually get an affordable flood policy for your home.
Get the Best Quotes on Mobile Home Insurance
To find the best deal on manufactured home insurance quotes and coverage, you need to shop around. Independent agents right here in Wyoming can make it easy for you. The Trusted Choice® network has local, independent agents who can access many different insurance companies and find the right policy for you.
Contact an agent right in your area to get quotes and to get the affordable mobile home insurance you need.