The state of Wyoming is brimming with outdoor activities like hiking, fishing, skiing, dog sledding and more. Boating is also a huge pastime in Wyoming. And boating accidents are on the rise; a collision with another boat or object can get expensive quickly. Whether you use your boat for fishing, racing or just a weekend activity, boat insurance is something to consider.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Wyoming Boating Statistics
- During 2012, there were more than 30 boating accidents.
- During 2012, there were more than 29,000 boats registered in WY.
- The leading cause of boating accidents is operator inattention.
In Wyoming, you must be 16 or older in order to operate or be in physical control of any boat unless a person 18 or older accompanies you. PWCs are included in this regulation.
While boat insurance isn't required in the state, it is one major way to protect yourself from litigation and damages in case of an accident.
What Coverage Does Boat Insurance Provide in Wyoming?
Boat insurance offers boaters coverage from some of the most common risks and incidents that take place. A typical boat insurance policy may offer the following:
- General liability: If you are at fault for an accident, this insurance can help cover the damage you cause and pay for medical bills and your legal defense.
- Property damage liability: If you're involved in an accident where your boat causes damage to another person's property, such as a dock, trailer or equipment, this insurance can help cover the costs to repair the damaged property.
- Physical damage: Physical damage covers damage to your boat and trailer if you are involved in a collision.
- Comprehensive: Much like auto insurance, this option covers incidents such as wind damage, rain damage, fire, theft and even arson.
- Uninsured/Underinsured boaters: Unfortunately, many boaters do not carry insurance. If you are in an accident with someone who is underinsured or uninsured, you may be paying for damage out of pocket. This insurance can help cover those costs.
- Medical payments: This insurance can cover your medical expenses and your passengers' medical expenses in case of an accident.
- Fuel spill/wreckage removal: For most bodies of water, regulations require you to remove any vessel that is non-operational, even if it has sunk. Additionally, you could be responsible for any pollution spill. These two incidents require extensive and costly remediation processes, and this insurance can help cover those costs.
- Equipment: If you have expensive equipment on your boat, such as skis, GPS systems and fish finders, this coverage can help cover those items.
What Types of Boats Can be Covered with Boat Insurance in WY?
When it comes to boating, insurance companies know that there are different types of boats on the water. Below is a list of some of the most common types of boats that insurance is available for in Wyoming:
- Fishing boat
- Sport boat
- Jon Boat
- Bass boat
- Cabin cruiser
- Pontoon boat
What You Need To Know About Getting Boat Insurance Quotes
Boat insurance rates vary greatly depending on a number of factors. When you are shopping for boating insurance quotes in Wyoming, be prepared to answer the following:
- Type of boat
- Length of boat
- Horsepower of boat
- Age of boat
- Value of boat
- How often boat is used
- Where boat is stored
- Whether passengers will drive the boat
- Whether boat is used commercially
- History of claims (on and off the water)
- Driving record
- Any personal items/equipment present on boat
- Desired deductible
- Desired coverages
Insurers will use all of the above factors, plus more, to determine the quotes for your personalized boat insurance coverage.
Types of Boat Insurance Discounts Available
Just as with many other types of insurance, there are usually discounts available on boat insurance. You may be able to get some of these discounts:
- Multi-policy discount
- Good driver discount
- Safety course discount
- New customer discount
- Loyal customer discount
- Paid-in-full discount
- Lay-up policy discount (If you only use your boat for part of the year)
Each insurance company offers its customers different discounts, so be sure to inquire about any discounts you may be eligible for.
How To Obtain Boat Insurance in Wyoming
When it comes to purchasing boat insurance, it's critical to have a professional by your side who is familiar with the industry and with your boating habits and routine. A Trusted Choice® agent is always available to help discuss coverage options, modify your policies and even help you file a claim.
For more information on quotes and getting coverage, contact your local Trusted Choice agent.