Global Atlantic Financial Group at a Glance
- Founded at Goldman Sachs in 2004
- Separated as an independent, privately held company in 2013
- Now a majority-owned subsidiary of the KKR public company
- Offers a variety of annuities and life insurance products for individual and institutional clients
- “A” (excellent) rating by A.M. Best
- “A+” (excellent) rating by Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- Network of independent insurance agents
Global Atlantic Pros: High ratings through A.M. Best and the BBB. Broad range of competitive life insurance and retirement products. Experienced leadership and financial strength. Life insurance products are customizable with a wide variety of riders. No-charge Wellness for Life® rider with every policy offers rewards for maintaining a healthy weight and visiting the doctor.
Global Atlantic Cons: Limited product offering. Multiple customer service phone prompts depending on policy number and type of service needed. No online service availability or claim information. No online application process. Relatively new company compared to many centuries-old competitors. Global Atlantic is not BBB accredited.
What Type of Insurance Does Global Atlantic Financial Group Offer?
Global Atlantic offers a variety life insurance products and annuities for individuals and businesses. Their products include:
- Fixed annuities
- Fixed index annuities
- Income annuities
- Variable annuities
- Indexed universal life insurance
- Pre-need life insurance (funeral insurance)
Global Atlantic offers a wide variety of riders and options to suit individual needs. Your independent insurance agent can help you decide if Global Atlantic has the right type of life insurance or annuity product for your needs.
What to Know About Global Atlantic Financial Group
Global Atlantic Financial Group offers life insurance and annuities in all 50 states.
Global Atlantic was founded at Goldman Sachs in 2004 and separated as an independent, privately held company in 2013. In February 2021, KKR—a global investment firm—acquired a majority ownership stake in Global Atlantic, which operates as a subsidiary and standalone business. Global Atlantic’s product and distribution experience backed by a strong financial foundation are its backbone.
Global Atlantic is a privately held firm with approximately 1,500 shareholders that primarily comprise management, employees, individuals, and institutions. Strong and stable financially, Global Atlantic has high ratings, including an A (Excellent) from A.M. Best. The “A” rating assures customers that Global Atlantic is a capable insurance company capable of offering guaranteed, secure coverage.
Global Atlantic’s acquisition by KKR aims to strengthen the company’s position as an annuity and life insurance company. Global Atlantic will continue to operate as a standalone business, with the same leadership team and brand.
What Discounts Does Global Atlantic Offer?
Global Atlantic’s life insurance customers automatically qualify for its no-charge Wellness for Life® rider.
Customers earn rewards in the form of discounts if they visit the doctor at least every other year. Discounts are higher for those who maintain their weight within the range determined when they bought their policy.
To earn the rewards, customers must:
- Schedule a physical
- Have the doctor complete and sign the Wellness for Life form
- Return the form to Global Atlantic
An independent insurance agent can help you find more information about other ways to save with Global Atlantic, as well as provide you with quotes and help answer any other questions you may have.
Global Atlantic Customer Service
Global Atlantic allows their customers to file claims over the phone, Monday – Friday during business hours. The carrier also provides the following customer service options:
- Phone and fax contact options
- Ask questions via email
- Snail mail contact option
- Offices available for in-person visits in Iowa, Georgia, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New York, and Connecticut
- Customer service department has the following hour restrictions:
|Monday - Friday||8:30 am - 6:00 pm|
The best way to handle your customer service needs is to work with an independent insurance agent. These agents help make customer service easier for you by handling claims and other concerns.
Global Atlantic Financial Group FAQ
What is Global Atlantic's average claim response timeframe?
Global Atlantic does not provide information about its claim response time.
What is Global Atlantic's customer service availability?
For its life insurance customers, Global Atlantic offers claims reporting over the phone Monday – Friday, 8:30 am to 6:00 pm EST. Customers can also contact Global Atlantic via fax, email, and mail. The phone line for customer service issues is available at generous hours, Monday-Friday.
What is Global Atlantic's claims process?
Global Atlantic publishes little information about its claims process. Life insurance customers who need to file a claim must call customer service at 877-462-8992 and follow the prompts to reach the claims department.
Does Global Atlantic Financial Group create a user-friendly experience for customers?
Global Atlantic’s official website is pleasing to the eye and easy to navigate, but it contains limited information on products or service. The website does offer detailed explanations and videos about certain types of life insurance products and how they can be beneficial. Detailed information and quotes are best obtained by speaking with an independent insurance agent or calling the company directly.
Certain useful forms are available online as well. But customer service and claims information is quite limited. Customers will need to call Global Atlantic in most cases for any type of customer service. Global Atlantic does not have a presence on social media.
Does Global Atlantic have good life insurance?
Global Atlantic provides a somewhat limited selection of life insurance products and annuities for individuals and businesses. The carrier does provide numerous riders to help customers further customize their policies by choosing from the following:
- Accelerated Access Rider: Allows insured to accelerate a portion of their life insurance death benefit in the event they are diagnosed with a chronic or critical illness that meets certain eligibility requirements. This rider has no cost until benefits are received.
- Overloan Protection Rider: Prevents the policy from lapsing (being discontinued) due to excessive policy loans. There is no initial cost for the rider. A one-time charge is assessed if it is used.
- Primary Insured Rider: Provides additional level death benefit protection for the primary insured.
- Additional Insured Rider: Provides death benefit coverage on the lives of up to three family members without having to purchase separate policies.
- Children's Insurance Rider: Provides coverage on the life of any child (between the ages of 15 days and 17 years) of the base insured until the child’s age 25. The rider can be converted to a permanent policy for up to five times the rider face amount.
- Accidental Death Benefit Rider: Adds coverage should the insured die from an accident.
- Terminal Illness Accelerated Death Benefit Rider: Speeds up the time in which benefits are paid should you become terminally ill. A portion of the policy proceeds normally paid at death is paid to you while you are living provided your life expectancy is 12 months or less.
- Return of Premium Rider: This rider provides a death benefit equal to the face amount plus the premiums less any withdrawals, accumulated with interest. A fixed interest growth rate, from 0 to 4 percent, can be selected.
- Waiver of Monthly Deductions Rider: All monthly deductions (for base policy, riders and policy charges) are waived should insured become totally disabled for at least 6 months before age 65.
- Waiver of Premium Rider: The monthly premium specified under the rider is credited to the policy if clients become totally disabled for at least 6 months before age 65.
Your independent insurance agent can help you find even more information about life insurance from Global Atlantic Financial Group.
Is Global Atlantic a good insurance company?
Global Atlantic is a relatively new life insurance company, but it has received high ratings from A.M. Best and the BBB. It is a financially strong company with an experienced leadership. Its strength may be further bolstered by its recent acquisition by KKR.
Accordia Life and Annuity Co. and Forethought Life Insurance Co. are subsidiaries of Global Atlantic Financial Group Limited. Accordia issues indexed universal life insurance. Forethought issues whole life insurance policies for funeral expenses through funeral homes. The products are all marketed under the Global Atlantic brand.
Customer reviews are hard to come by for the Global Atlantic Brand, but there are several BBB complaints for the affiliate companies.
Global Atlantic Financial Group Customer Reviews
|Better Business Bureau|
|“I purchased a funeral insurance policy for my father in 2013. He passed away July 3rd, 2020. In August, I was ready to file the claim for the insurance. It is October 5th and I am still unable to get a straight answer from any customer service representatives about the delays in processing. When I call and get someone, I am constantly told to submit the same letter from the funeral home stating the bill has been paid in full. I submitted it for the third time today to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is the first time I was ever told about this email address. I just want my claim handled, or at least communication about what more is actually needed.”|
TrustedChoice.com's Final Review
We award Global Atlantic Financial Group a final rating of 3.5 out of 5 stars. While a relatively new life insurance carrier, Global Atlantic provides several options and an extensive list of riders for its life insurance customers. The insurance company’s policies are offered in all 50 states, and the company has excellent ratings through A.M. Best and the BBB.
Global Atlantic falters in its customer service availability and outdated claims and application process. While personal service is nice, wading through clunky phone prompts and limited availability of claims information can make asking a simple question or filing a claim frustrating for customers. The carrier does offer extended phone hours to 6:30 pm EST Monday – Friday.
Global Atlantic offers a variety of riders in order to help customize life insurance products for its customers. It also offers rewards and incentives to stay healthy through its no charge Wellness for Life rider.
Online customer reviews for Global Atlantic or its affiliates are non-existent, however, several complaints have been filed with the BBB.
If you’re in the market for permanent life insurance or funeral insurance, we recommend looking into Global Atlantic along with the help of an independent insurance agent. It’s up to you and your agent to decide if the carrier’s financial strength and flexible product offerings outweigh any inconvenient or old-fashioned customer service practices.
Use our carrier directory to find the best insurance companies to meet your needs. Locate companies that specialize in your specific coverage needs and get connected to an agent near you.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.