HEMIC Insurance Company at a Glance
- Hawaii Employers' Mutual Insurance Company (HEMIC) is a private mutual insurance company that opened for business in 1996.
- HEMIC has grown into Hawaii’s largest provider of workers’ compensation insurance, serving 6,700 businesses, 75,000 workers, and over 25% of the Hawaii market.
- A (Excellent) rating by A.M. Best.
- 2017 recipient of the Better Business Bureau’s Torch Award for Ethics.
HEMIC Pros: HEMIC has an A rating from A.M Best and a high rating from the BBB.
HEMIC Cons: HEMIC receives numerous negative customer satisfaction reviews. Minimal information provided about claims and customer service.
What Type of Insurance Does HEMIC Offer?
HEMIC provides coverage for workers’ compensation insurance in the state of Hawaii, with employers’ liability limits up to $1,000,000.
You can also use our insurance company directory to find the best insurance companies to meet your needs. The directory can help you locate companies that specialize in your specific coverage needs and help you connect to an agent near you.
What to Know about HEMIC
HEMIC was founded as a private, mutual insurance company in 1996. As a mutual company, HEMIC is owned by its policyholders.
Today, HEMIC has grown into Hawaii’s largest provider of workers' compensation insurance, serving 6,700 businesses, 75,000 workers, and over 25% of the Hawaii market.
In 2007, HEMIC earned an A (Excellent) rating from A.M Best, which the company maintains today. HEMIC currently reports annual revenue of over $70 million and a staff of more than 100, and the company serves policyholders on all the major Hawaiian Islands. HEMIC has two wholly-owned subsidiaries: Employers Protective Insurance Company and HEMIC Insurance Managers Inc.
In 2017, HEMIC received the BBB’s Torch Award for Ethics. This award is given to businesses with an outstanding commitment to fair, honest, and ethical practices demonstrated by consistent action and integration into their daily practices with all their stakeholders, including customers, employees, and community.
What Discounts Does HEMIC Offer?
HEMIC policyholders may qualify for one or more premium credits following completion of a Safety Credit Application.
Find The Right Company Today.
Shopping for a company? We have the right one for you.
HEMIC Customer Service
Employers and employees can contact HEMIC in the following ways:
- Phone contact or online fillable form
- Customer service phone line has the following hour restrictions:
|8:30 am - 4:30 pm
What is HEMIC’s average claims response time frame?
A HEMIC claims representative will contact the employee to discuss an injury within 24 hours of the employer submitting an injury report.
What is HEMIC’s customer service availability?
HEMIC offers customer service by phone, Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
What is HEMIC’s claims process?
HEMIC states the following as its claims process:
- Step 1: Report workplace injuries to your employer immediately.
- Step 2: Seek medical treatment from your medical provider or closest emergency room.
- Step 3: Your employer will complete an injury report and send it to HEMIC within 24 hours of the injury.
- Step 4: Within 24 hours after receipt of the injury report, a HEMIC Claims Specialist will contact the employee.
Does HEMIC create a user-friendly experience for customers?
HEMIC’s official website offers a lot of information for both employers and employees, but the site’s appearance is a little outdated. The company offers limited customer service hours and minimal claims information online. HEMIC has a social media presence on LinkedIn.
Does HEMIC have good workers’ compensation insurance?
HEMIC provides good workers’ compensation insurance in Hawaii. Here are some of the unique features of HEMIC’s programs:
- Tiered rating plan: HEMIC’s tiered rating plan provides optimal pricing for well-performing businesses. The company also works with customers who require extra help by creating a sound safety or claims program to help customers improve workplace practices and exit the highest-risk rating tier.
- Workplace safety incentives: HEMIC’s experienced safety team works closely with customers to create custom safety programs. The HEMIC Safety Credit Program offers discounts to policyholders with formal safety plans, return-to-work programs, and drug-free workplaces.
- Annual audits: All HEMIC work comp policies are subject to an annual audit to verify factors that might call for a premium adjustment.
- Integrated payroll and pay-as-you-go: 'AePay integrates with payroll services like ADP and QuickBooks, with premium payments automatically deducted from the policyholder’s bank account based on actual payroll wages, minimizing audit variances at the end of the year. No down payment or deposit is required.
Is HEMIC a good insurance company?
HEMIC has received high ratings from A.M. Best, and is an expert in providing workers’ compensation insurance to employers in Hawaii. The company has also received awards from the BBB and other local organizations regarding its commitment to ethics and a positive workplace.
While customer satisfaction reviews are mixed at best, overall HEMIC can be considered a good insurance company.
HEMIC Customer Reviews
|“This company is awful! No customer service at all. Claims adjuster is a rude, unprofessional, bold, fast talking adjuster who should be fired for the way she conducts herself over the phone.”
|“For years, HEMIC was the only workman's comp insurer in the state of Hawaii available for roofing contractors, and they realized that fact that they had a monopoly on our trade and gouged us for it mercilessly. They perform mandatory annual audits on top of it and would cost us tens of thousands of dollars on top of the already ridiculously high fees. We had zero claims and never got a break.”
|“Worst company ever. All they care about is money. They are very rude and unprofessional.”
|“Thank you HEMIC for your support.”
TrustedChoice.com's Final Review
We award HEMIC a final rating of 2.0 out of 5 stars. Its high ratings from A.M. Best and the BBB speak to its financial strength, one of the most important factors in choosing any insurance company.
The carrier provides workers’ compensation insurance for employers in Hawaii. It has received awards and accolades from the BBB and from several local publications. The company is committed to offering affordable and reliable workers’ compensation insurance to Hawaii businesses, while also helping them focus on and improve their overall safety records.
You can assess if HEMIC is the right workers’ compensation insurance company for you by visiting heir website or talking to a company representative.