Penn National Insurance Company Review
Penn National Insurance Company at a Glance
- Founded in 1919
- Offers a variety of insurance products
- Offers personal and business coverages
- Coverage available in 11 states
- “A-” (excellent) rating by A.M. Best
- “A+” (excellent) rating by Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- Network of independent insurance agents
- 24/7 claims reporting and customer service
- Affordable premium rates
- Strong financial stability
Penn National Insurance pros: Just over a century’s worth of experience in the insurance industry. Several discounts available. Offers several coverages for individuals and businesses including personal umbrella insurance, auto insurance, worker's comp., and more. High ratings through A.M. Best and the BBB. Customers report affordable premium rates. Excellent website.
Penn National Insurance cons: Coverage not available nationwide. Not a BBB accredited business.
What Types of Insurance Does Penn National Insurance Offer?
Penn National Insurance offers a variety of coverage solutions for individuals and businesses. Their products include:
- Homeowners insurance
- Auto insurance
- Renters insurance
- Condo insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Business owners insurance
- Commercial auto insurance
- Business property insurance
- Commercial general liability insurance
- Worker's compensation insurance
- Commercial umbrella insurance
Using our insurance company directory can help you find the best insurance companies that specialize in your specific coverage needs. The company directory can also help you get connected to an agent near you.
What to Know about Penn National Insurance
Penn National Insurance was founded in 1919, giving the carrier just over a century’s worth of experience in the insurance industry. The insurance company offers coverage options for individuals and businesses, including personal and commercial auto insurance, condo insurance, commercial property insurance, and more. Penn National Insurance was originally created with the mission to provide farmers with affordable worker's compensation coverage. The insurance company is headquartered in Harrisburg, PA.
Today, Penn National Insurance has expanded to offer its products in 11 states along the East Coast and slightly west. The carrier employs more than 830 workers and sells its coverage through more than 1,200 independent agencies. In terms of financial size, A.M. Best places the insurance company in the $500-$750 million category.
Thanks to its rich history, network of independent insurance agents, and coverages for individuals and businesses, Penn National Insurance has become known as a financially sound insurance company with a strong outlook for the future. A.M. Best, the leading global credit rating agency monitoring the insurance industry, gives Penn National Insurance an “A-” rating, indicating the carrier is an excellent choice for insurance customers. High ratings from A.M. Best assure customers that Penn National Insurance is capable of offering guaranteed, secure coverage from a trustworthy and reputable insurance carrier.
Established in 1899, A.M. Best is one of the oldest rating companies in the world. Reviews from A.M. Best indicate an insurance company’s financial strength and creditworthiness and are based on comprehensive evaluations of the company’s operating performance, business profile, and balance sheet. For customers who aren’t as familiar with insurance companies’ respective reputations, A.M. Best’s ratings system allows them to make an informed decision about who they can trust to meet their needs in the short term and to also remain a strong, financially sound insurance company in the long term.
What Discounts Does Penn National Insurance Offer?
Penn National Insurance offers many competitive discounts on their coverages, especially for auto insurance. These discounts include:
- Daytime running lights discount: Offered to auto insurance customers whose vehicles come equipped with daytime running lights.
- Passive restraints discount: Offered to auto insurance customers whose vehicles come equipped with passive restraint devices such as automatic seatbelts and airbags.
- Multi-car discount: Offered to auto insurance customers who insure more than one vehicle through Penn National Insurance.
- Antilock brakes systems (ABS) discount: Offered to auto insurance customers who have ABS in their vehicles.
- Away to school discount: Offered to student auto insurance customers who live on campus and are more than 100 miles away from home.
Find The Right Company Today.
Shopping for a company? We have the right one for you.
Penn National Insurance Customer Service
Penn National Insurance allows their customers to file claims over the phone or online anytime. The carrier provides the following customer service options:
- 24/7 phone claims reporting
- Online claims reporting
- Email contact option
- Online bill pay
- Snail mail contact option
- Mobile app available
- Customer service department is available 24/7
Penn National Insurance FAQ
What is Penn National Insurance's average claim response time frame?
Penn National Insurance allows customers to file claims at any time over the phone or online. The carrier’s official website states that customers will be contacted by a local claims adjuster within 24 hours of receiving the assignment, which is transferred by the next business day after a new claim is filed.
What is Pen National Insurance's customer service availability?
Penn National Insurance provides 24/7 customer service and claims reporting for its customers. The carrier also has an active social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, making them even more accessible to customers.
What is Penn National Insurance's claims process?
Penn National Insurance allows customers to file claims anytime through a couple of different mediums. The carrier’s official website details the process for auto insurance claims as follows:
“The steps of a basic auto claim include:
- Penn National Insurance receives the claim and assigns it to a claims adjuster no later than the next business day.
- You will be contacted by a local claims adjuster within 24 hours of receiving the assignment.
- The adjuster gathers any other additional information and discusses the options with you:
- You can obtain an estimate from the repair shop of your choice.
- If the damage is significant, an appraiser will be immediately assigned to inspect the vehicle.
- If you have obtained an estimate of damage from the repair shop of your choice, it is reviewed by our Small Estimate Review Team. An agreed repair price with the shop of the owner’s choice is obtained and payment is issued to you minus the appropriate deductible.
- You have the repairs completed to your vehicle and are responsible for paying the bill at the repair shop.”
If customers want to check on the status of an existing claim, they can contact their independent insurance agent or the carrier directly.
Does Penn National Insurance create a user-friendly experience for customers?
Penn National Insurance’s website is excellent. Customers can locate important information quickly and easily. The carrier provides plenty of details for customers such as a broken down claims process. The insurance company offers several modern customer service options such as 24/7 claims reporting, online bill pay, and find an agent features. The carrier works with independent insurance agents to ensure their customers are matched with the best coverage possible for them. A mobile app is available for smartphone users. Penn National Insurance also has a strong presence on social media, overall making for a highly user-friendly experience.
Does Penn National Insurance have good homeowners insurance?
Penn National Insurance provides a good selection of coverages for individuals and businesses, including homeowners insurance. The carrier’s homeowners insurance policies offer the following coverages:
- Dwelling coverage
- Personal belongings coverage
- Other structures (e.g., garages) coverage
- Living expenses coverage
- Liability claims coverage
- Medical payments coverage
- Valuables coverage (optional add-on)
Is Penn National Insurance a good insurance company?
Penn National Insurance has been around for more than a century now and is highly rated by A.M. Best and the BBB. Penn National Insurance provides a nice selection of coverages for individuals and businesses. The company also provides an excellent user-friendly experience for its customers and works with independent insurance agents. Overall, Penn National Insurance can be considered a good insurance company.
Penn National Insurance Customer Reviews
|“Great company with good agents. Rates are competitive. Service on my claim was outstanding -- fast response, professionally handled.”|
|“Coverage is above and beyond with accident forgiveness and waiving deductible on certain things. Agent is excellent. Website is good.”|
|“Great agent, customer service and product features. Get the PennPac with all of the extras that is unique to this company.”|
|“Amazing insurance. Very good. Good coverage for a very great price. I am overall amazed with the customer service.”|
TrustedChoice.com's Final Review
We award Penn National Insurance a final rating of 3 out of 5 stars. Penn National Insurance has been in the insurance industry for just over a century now, and the carrier appears to have used this time to its advantage. While coverage is only offered in 11 states currently, customers located in those areas have access to a good selection of insurance products for personal or business lines. Penn National Insurance provides 24/7 customer service and claims reporting for its customers, and its official website is excellent. The carrier has high ratings through A.M. Best and the BBB and has demonstrated solid financial strength over the years.
You can also use our national independent agent carrier directory to find the best insurance companies to meet your needs. Locate companies that specialize in your specific coverage needs and get connected to an agent near you.
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.