Texas Mutual Insurance Company at a Glance
- Founded in 1991
- Texas’s premier workers' compensation insurer
- Offers workers’ compensation insurance
- Coverage available in Texas only
- “A” (excellent) rating by A.M. Best
- “A+” (excellent) rating by the Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- Strong financial stability
Texas Mutual pros: A fixed carrier with more than 25 years worth of experience in the insurance industry. Highly rated by A.M. Best and the BBB. Strong financial stability. Coverage available in Texas only. Clients can set up a Texas Mutual Online account to manage a claim throughout every step.
Texas Mutual cons: Not BBB accredited. Difficult to find customer feedback. Limited coverage options. Business hours are not provided on website or social media pages.
What Type of Insurance Does Texas Mutual Offer?
Texas Mutual is a specialized insurance company, with a focus on coverage for injured workers. Their only insurance product offered is as follows.
- Workers' compensation insurance
Your independent insurance agent can help you find more information about the coverage offered by Texas Mutual, and help you decide if this insurance company is right for you.
What to Know about Texas Mutual
Texas Mutual was founded in 1991, giving the carrier more than 25 years’ worth of experience in the insurance industry. Texas Mutual Insurance Company (formerly the Texas Workers’ Compensation Insurance Fund) was created by law to provide workers’ compensation insurance, much like many other insurance companies do. However, they are required by law to serve as the “market of last resort” to cover clients that are not able to find coverage through another carrier.
Today, Texas Mutual still focuses its efforts on providing workers’ compensation solutions for companies and employees in need. Coverage is offered in Texas only. The insurance company's LinkedIn profile states that Texas Mutual has between 501 and 1,000 employees, with over 900 of them found on the social media platform. As far as financial size, A.M. Best places the carrier in the $2 billion or greater category.
Thanks to its recent record and financial strength, Texas Mutual has earned a reputation as a stable insurance company with a stable outlook for the future. A.M. Best, the leading global credit rating agency monitoring the insurance industry, gives Texas Mutual an “A” rating, indicating the carrier is an excellent choice for insurance customers. High ratings from A.M. Best assure customers that Texas Mutual can offer guaranteed, secure coverage from a financially sound carrier.
Established in 1899, A.M. Best is one of the oldest rating companies in the world. Reviews from A.M. Best indicate an insurance company’s financial strength and creditworthiness and are based on comprehensive evaluations of the company’s operating performance, business profile, and balance sheet. For customers who are not as familiar with insurance companies’ respective reputations, A.M. Best’s ratings system allows them to make an informed decision about who they can trust to meet their needs in the short term, and who will remain a strong, financially sound company in the long term.
What Discounts Does Texas Mutual Offer?
While Texas Mutual does not make information about their specific discounts readily available, they do have a few on their website as listed below.
- Industry-specific safety group discount: Clients can receive a discount of up to 12% for joining a safety group. The Texas Department of Insurance allows employers in similar businesses to form safety groups, giving them group purchasing power to earn a discount on their workers' compensation insurance premiums.
- Healthcare network discount: Clients that participate in Texas Mutual’s health care network can save an additional 12% on their workers’ compensation premiums.
- Dividend program: When buying workers’ compensation from Texas Mutual, you are buying protection for your business and employees. In addition, you also become an owner of Texas Mutual. Their policyholder-owners can receive dividends, same as stockholders of publicly traded companies do. 75% of policyholders earn an annual dividend.
An independent insurance agent can provide better discount information and premium quotes for coverage through Texas Mutual. When it comes to coverage, independent insurance agents work hard to help get you more without extra money or effort.
Texas Mutual Customer Service
Texas Mutual does offer 24/7 phone, online, or mobile app claims reporting for its policyholders. The carrier also provides the following customer service options.
- Online bill pay
- Account management
- Employer claim management
- Email contact option
- Customer service availability - Texas Mutual’s website does not display their business hours on it. Clients can call for customer service or claim information during the following business hours.
|Monday-Friday||8am - 5:30pm|
The best way to make sure to have a smooth customer service experience is to work with an independent insurance agent. Independent insurance agents can help handle claims and other worries for you, so you can relax and enjoy your coverage.
Texas Mutual FAQ
What is Texas Mutual's average claim response time frame?
Texas Mutual offers claims reporting through a couple of mediums. However, the insurance company does not provide an official claims response time frame promise. Texas Mutual does encourage customers to file claims ASAP after an incident.
What is Texas Mutual's customer service availability?
Texas Mutual allows customers to file claims over the phone, online, or mobile app 24/7. Their hotline for customer service inquiries does not specify business hours on the carrier’s official website or social media pages. Clients can contact the carrier for business hours. The carrier’s social media presence extends across Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, which makes them a tad more accessible to customers.
What is Texas Mutual's claims process?
Texas Mutual details their claims process on their official website. When you report an injury, Texas Mutual steps in to assist you and your injured worker throughout the process. They are invested in the welfare of your staff. Clients should set up a Texas Mutual Online account so they can manage their claim throughout every step.
- Report an injury
- When an injury occurs, the carrier is there to protect businesses and provide employees with the care they require. Report the injury as soon as possible so a specialized adjuster can gather additional details needed to determine eligibility and benefits.
- Get care
- In the event of an emergency, make sure your employee gets immediate care. Clients can find a medical provider using Texas Mutual’s online directory. Businesses that participate in the health care network; the employee is required to choose a network provider. A designated claim agent can help employees find a network provider and answer any questions about seeking treatment.
- Return to work and recovery
- Texas Mutual will work together with the employee's doctor to identify tasks that are safe for the employee while recovering. Texas Mutual works with businesses, their employees and the employee's doctor to come up with a plan that helps the employee return to a productive life as swiftly as possible.
- Ensure long-term success
- Texas Mutual will work together with the employee's doctor to identify tasks that are safe for the employee while recovering. Texas Mutual works with businesses, their employees, and the employee's doctor to come up with a plan that helps the employee return to a productive life as swiftly as possible.
If customers have questions about filing or the claims process itself, they can contact the carrier via phone or email or get in touch with their independent insurance agent.
Does Texas Mutual's Insurance create a user-friendly experience for customers?
Texas Mutual’s official website is pretty user-friendly. The carrier provides a lot of information about their claims process on their website. They also list a lot of information about their coverage listed. Online bill pay and account management is available, as is 24/7 claims reporting via phone, online, or mobile app, which are nice, modern customer service features.
Texas Mutual Customer Reviews
|“Chris Haney at Texas Mutual is not responsive to any of my needs after leaving 3 voicemails and 4 emails over the past month. I had to call his line several times in a row for him to answer, when he finally did I requested to move my claim to a different adjuster and he told me no. Unprofessional and customer service is lacking.” —B.|
|*According to the overall satisfaction rating of employees working for Texas Mutual Insurance Company.|
|*According to the average of 43 reviews for Texas Mutual Insurance Company.|
|*According to the average of 108 reviews for Texas Mutual Insurance Company.|
|According to 54 google reviews for Texas Mutual Insurance Company.|
TrustedChoice.com's Final Review
We award Texas Mutual Insurance Company a final rating of 3.3 out of 5 stars. The insurance company has been around for more than 25 years now, which is impressive within the insurance industry. Though Texas Mutual has received high ratings through A.M. Best and the BBB, they have not been accredited through the latter organization. Coverage is offered only in in Texas and their catalog is extremely limited, with a focus on only worker's compensation insurance. The insurance company provides 24/7 claims reporting via phone, online, or mobile app and online bill pay, and account management yet does not list its business hours for the customer service department anywhere. There also is not any information about the carrier’s claims response time frame. It is challenging to find any customer feedback about the insurance company online, but the few reviews available are mixed. Currently, it is pretty easy to say many positive things about this carrier. So our recommendation is that if you are in the market for workers compensation coverage, survey your options for trusted carriers with your independent insurance agent, and take a look into Texas Mutual.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.