Council Bluffs Homeowners Insurance

(Where to find the best rates and coverage in town.)

Written by Candace Jenkins
Written by Candace Jenkins

Candace Jenkins is a licensed insurance advisor with over a decade of experience. She is also a writer and loves to write on all things insurance. Candace writes for on a continuous basis and is here with the facts about all your insurance inquiries.


Once called Kainesville, Council Bluffs, Iowa is a historic city. It was known as an anchor town with steam-powered ferries, making it part of the Missouri River trail.

To own a home in this notable town with a population of 58,276, you'll need insurance. Coverage can be found through an independent insurance agent. Find one within minutes to find help getting the coverage you need.

The Price of Homeowners Insurance in Council Bluffs, IA

If you're comparing your home insurance costs to your neighbors, don't. Each home, person, and city is rated uniquely. With individualized coverage, your premiums will be different as well. To get a better idea of where your rates might fall, take a look at the state and national averages:

  • National annual average: $2,305
  • Iowa annual average: $2,540

Even though your home premiums may be higher or lower than the state and national figures, you can at least tell where you are on the scale. The insurance companies will look at a variety of factors when rating your policy. Let's see what the carriers include:

  • Local crime rates
  • Your claims history 
  • Your credit score
  • Your insurance score
  • Local weather
  • The coverages you select 
  • The year, construction type, and square footage of your home
  • Any policy discounts that may apply

If you're shopping for coverage and pricing, a Council Bluffs independent agent can help. They have access to multiple carriers and can do the work for you.

Will Your Council Bluffs, IA Home Policy Cover Burglaries?

The burglary rate in your city will affect your home insurance premium. The higher the crime rate, the more costly your insurance rates will be.

Burglary Rates Per 100,000 Households

  • National average: 376.00
  • Iowa average: 352.60
  • Council Bluffs average: 695.50

Your home policy will most likely have coverage for burglary and theft. If you're unsure if your policy will respond, you need to speak with your agent. Council Bluffs has a higher break-in rate than the state and national averages, so your premiums may be higher. The best way to determine how the local crime rate will impact your insurance is to get quotes from an independent agent. 

Liability Insurance and Your Council Bluffs, IA Home

A liability insurance claim could happen anytime. If a loss occurs, your home's liability coverage needs to be adequate. Let's look at what your liability insurance will protect against:

  • If a person injures themselves on your property
  • If you or a member of your household is sued for slander or bullying
  • If you cause damage to a person or property while away from home
  • If your pet causes injury or damage to another party

Your homeowners policy will exclude any malicious or intentional actions. If any of these losses happen because of your negligence, your home policy should respond. To know for sure, you'll want to go over your home's coverages with your Council Bluffs agent. 


Save on Home Insurance

Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.

The Risks of Owning a Home in Council Bluffs, IA

There are plenty of catastrophic events that occur in Iowa. A good homeowners policy will provide coverage for all of them. Let's take a look at the facts for Iowa:

  • Number of federally declared catastrophes since 1953: 71
  • Most common catastrophe: Flooding
  • Number of tornadoes per year: 49.2
  • Homeowners claims paid in 2016: 291,074,000

That's roughly one natural disaster per year happening in Iowa. When severe weather occurs, your home policy should be written to replace or repair any damage. 

The Main Homeowners Policy Coverages

  • Liability: Covers the costs of a lawsuit
  • Dwelling: Covers the replacement or repair of your home
  • Other structures: Covers the replacement or repair of detached structures
  • Personal property: Covers the replacement or repair of your personal belongings
  • Additional living expense: Coverage for a rental home when yours is uninhabitable due to a loss

The one coverage your home policy will exclude is coverage for a flood. For that, you'll need a separate flood insurance policy.

Flood Insurance in Council Bluffs, IA

The Number One risk for your home in Council Bluffs is flooding. When a flood happens, your house could have extensive damage. According to FEMA, just one inch of standing water in your home could result in $25,000 of loss. Let's look at how you can get flood insurance in Council Bluffs:

#1 - Get connected with an independent agent.

#2 - Determine what flood zone your property is located in through your agent.

#3 - Purchase flood insurance from the best option presented by your agent.

Every property is at risk for flooding. Some are at higher risk than others, depending on their flood zone. Contact your local agent to see what the cost of flood insurance will be in Council Bluffs.

Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Council Bluffs, IA?

A Council Bluffs independent insurance agent can save you a lot of time and money. They work with multiple carriers so they can find you the best rates and coverage for your home. 

When it comes to insuring your largest asset, you don't want to take a chance. Connect with a local independent agent on

Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Facebook Share this page on LinkedIn