Iowa is the only state in the county that has eastern and western borders formed entirely by rivers: the Mississippi to the east and the Missouri to the west. As a resident of the Hawkeye State, you may have several insurance needs, including home, auto, life and health insurance, to name a few.
Independent insurance agents in the Trusted Choice® network are available to help you with all of your coverage needs. These agents work with several different insurance companies and can find you competitively-priced policies that are suitable for your unique needs. Iowa has 720 Trusted Choice member agents to meet the needs of its 3 million residents. It ranks second in the nation for its agent-to-population ratio. Find a local member agent now to learn more about Iowa insurance.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
What Is an Independent Agent?
There are two distinct kinds of insurance agents. Some are captive agents and others are independent. Here are some differences to consider:
- Captive agents: Captive agents are limited to working only with the insurance company with which they are affiliated. They will not provide policies and quotes from competing companies, which may force you to comparison shop on your own. These agents are also limited in their capacity to provide customized policies to best meet your unique coverage needs.
- Independent agents: Independent agents do not work for a specific insurance company. They are free to work with several different companies and can provide customized insurance policies. Being connected to several companies has a major advantage when it comes to shopping for competitive rates; an independent agent has access to the most competitive rate quotes. When you work with an independent agent, you can benefit from the convenience of having all your insurance needs handled in one office.
Every agent in the Trusted Choice network is independent. They are ready to help you with all of your Iowa insurance coverage needs. Find a member agent near you today.
Find the Right Iowa Car Insurance Policy
Whether you use your vehicle for business or for running day-to-day errands, you are required by Iowa state law to carry liability insurance coverage. Iowa’s minimum coverage requirements are currently set at 20/40/15, which means you must carry a minimum of:
- $20,000 in bodily injury liability coverage for each individual involved in an accident you cause
- $40,000 in bodily injury liability for all individuals injured in an accident you cause
- $15,000 in property damage liability coverage for damage to other people's vehicles or other property in an accident you cause
These liability limits are intended to protect those involved in motor vehicle accidents from the high costs associated with property damage and medical care. In most cases, these amounts provide satisfactory coverage. However, accidents that involve serious injuries or fatalities can prove far more expensive than these amounts will cover. For this reason, many Iowans elect to purchase insurance with higher liability limits.
In addition to liability coverage, you can purchase optional coverage, including:
- Collision insurance: This provides coverage for damages to your vehicle that results from a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This provides coverage for losses that occur due to other-than-collision causes. Damage caused by fire, severe weather, flooding, falling objects, theft and vandalism are usually covered.
- Uninsured/Underinsured motorist insurance: This provides coverage for damages or injuries you sustain in a collision if the responsible party lacks the necessary insurance to cover the costs. Damages caused by hit-and-run drivers are included in this coverage.
- Personal injury insurance: This provides coverage for injuries sustained by you and your passengers as a result of a motor vehicle accident, regardless of fault.
Whatever your vehicle coverage needs, an agent in the Trusted Choice network can help. These agents have experience putting together both personal and commercial vehicle insurance coverage and can help you find the right Iowa car insurance for you, your family or your businesses. Contact a member agent now for more information.
Adequately Cover Your Iowa Home
Your home may be your biggest investment and most important asset. You can protect the investments you've made in your home will with a suitable Iowa homeowners insurance policy. Whether you need a policy for a mobile home, a condo, a townhouse or a traditional home, an agent in the Trusted Choice network can help. These agents can find you a variety of competitively-priced comprehensive policies that will adequately provide for your coverage needs.
When purchasing a policy for your Iowa home, it's a good idea to evaluate the levels of coverage you want in the following areas:
- Structure: The structure of your home and any outlying structures such as sheds, detached garages and fencing can all be covered for loss after a weather event or fire. You can also get structural coverage for your home with a flood insurance policy, backed by the National Flood Insurance Program, although that has to be purchased separately.
- Contents: One of the strategies you can use to make sure that you can recover quickly after a disaster is covering your items at replacement cost value, as opposed to actual cash value, which takes into account depreciation. Everything from appliances to furniture to clothing can be replaced with the right insurance. Some items, such as jewelry, original artwork and expensive electronics, may require additional endorsements in order to be fully covered. If you want coverage for flooding, you'll need to buy a flood insurance policy offered by the NFIP.
- Liability: Your home policy will typically include coverage for third-party property damage or injuries at your home. It will usually also cover you for the high costs of slander or libel claims. This coverage includes any associated court costs and legal fees.
The biggest question most people have is now much coverage is enough? Speak with a local Trusted Choice member agent today to best determine your home coverage needs and to find an affordable policy that can meet them.
Do You Own a Business in Iowa?
As of 2008, residents of Iowa owned and operated more than a quarter of million small businesses. While many of these businesses were set up for self-employment and freelancing, more than 63,000 offered employment to others. If you own a small business in this state, you may want to consider protecting it with a suitable Iowa business insurance policy.
Business insurance can protect your company from financial losses brought on by unexpected problems, and can frequently mean the difference between a company’s success or failure. Agents in the Trusted Choice network work with several different insurers and can build you a business insurance policy fully customized to meet the needs of your business. Perhaps this is why Trusted Choice member agents write more business insurance policies than any other brand.
Business insurance provides a variety of coverage options to protect your company. Some of the most common protections you'll see in a policy include:
- General liability coverage: This provides coverage if a third-party is injured or suffers property damage on your business property.
- Product liability coverage: This protects your business from liability lawsuits resulting from faulty products you sell.
- Professional liability coverage: Also known as errors and omissions coverage, this protects your business if it is sued for malpractice, malfeasance or negligence in duty.
- Business property coverage: This covers your business property, including equipment, furnishings, merchandise, materials and office décor. If you own the building in which your business is housed, this can provide structural coverage as well.
- Lost income coverage: This provides a continuation of income if a covered event forces you to temporarily cease sales or production.
If you have been considering an Iowa business insurance plan for your commercial venture, contact an agent in the Trusted Choice network today to learn more about your many options. You will be glad you did.
Protect Your Loved Ones with Iowa Life Insurance
On average, Iowans live 79.7 years. This ranks the state 16th in terms of life expectancy. Accidents and illnesses can strike unexpectedly. If you die unexpectedly, would those you leave behind have the financial stability necessary to maintain their current standard of living?
An Iowa life insurance policy can help you ensure the financial health of your loved ones after you're gone. An agent in the Trusted Choice network can help you find a policy that is right for you. There are two types of life insurance policies from which you can choose:
- Permanent life: This type of policy stays in effect for as long as you continue to make payments on your premiums. It will build cash value over time, so many people see it as a type of savings account or investment. If you happen upon difficult times and are in need of funds, you can cash in your policy early and collect its accrued value. Some policies will also let you borrow against the value with a low interest loan.
- Term life: These policies are in effect only for a period of time, or "term." Once the term is up, the policy expires. These policies do not have a cash value, but they do provide a coverage at a very low rate. If you are just starting out, getting married and purchasing a house, a term policy with a length of anywhere between 20 and 30 years might be a good investment. Once the term expires, you may have your mortgage paid off and your children may be grown, no longer in need of funds for education.
The decision about which type of policy is best for you is a personal one, but an agent in the Trusted Choice network can help. By answering your questions and explaining each type of policy in better detail, a member agent can help you learn more about your options for Iowa life insurance.
Do You Need Affordable Iowa Health Insurance?
As of 2008, nearly 10 percent of all Iowa residents were living without health insurance. With the passing of the Affordable Healthcare Act, these numbers are expected to drop. Residents who do not receive subsidized health insurance through employers will be able to purchase health coverage through an exchange. And, unlike before, you cannot be turned down for coverage because of a pre-existing condition.
Agents in the Trusted Choice network can help you understand the new laws and how they benefit you. These agents can also help you find a health insurance policy that is affordable.
Find a local agent now to discuss your many options and the questions you may have, such as:
- What is the difference between an HMO and a PPO?
- Can I save money by opting to pay as I go instead of purchasing a policy?
- What types of preventive care are covered by these plans?
- Should I set up an HSA (health savings account), and if so, how will it benefit me?
An agent in the Trusted Choice network can answer these and many other questions you may have about health insurance coverage in Iowa. Contact a local member agent today for more information.
Do You Have Sufficient Tornado Insurance?
Iowa is located within the boundaries of "Tornado Alley," and it's somewhat likely that your home or business could be affected by strong winds and damaging debris from a tornado. The cyclonic winds of a tornado can be extremely destructive and can completely destroy homes and other property. You can protect your investments in your car, your home, and your business with Iowa tornado insurance.
- To protect your vehicle: Tornado insurance for vehicles comes in the form of comprehensive auto insurance. If you include comprehensive coverage on all your vehicles, you are covered; if not, you will need to cover the costs of repairing or replacing a vehicle damaged by these winds or by resulting flying debris and falling objects out of pocket.
- To protect your property: You may have coverage for your home and business property with a standard package of insurance, but be aware that some insurers require you to purchase an additional tornado insurance rider to be covered. An agent in the Trusted Choice network can help you verify the coverage on your current policies. If you are lacking coverage, an independent agent can help you find a competitively-priced policy that can meet all of your coverage needs.
If a tornado flattens your home or business, you could to lose everything. Do you have enough coverage to rebuild and start over? If your structure or contents coverage amounts are too low, you may be required to spend a lot of money to replace your furnishings, appliances, clothing and other belongings. It is a good idea to review your coverage amounts every two or three years. If you work with an agent in the Trusted Choice network, you can count on assistance with this task.
Tornados are destructive, but they do not have to destroy your finances. Speak with an independent agent in the Trusted Choice network today to make sure that you have sufficient Iowa tornado insurance coverage.
Get Help with All Your Iowa Insurance Coverage Needs
When you contact an independent agent in the Trusted Choice network, you can have all of your Iowa insurance coverage needs conveniently handled in one office. Member agents will work hard to find you a variety of customized insurance policies that can suitably meet your coverage and budgetary needs. They may even be able to find ways to save you money on the policies you already have.
There are more than 700 member agents with offices across the state of Iowa, so should be easy to find one with an office conveniently located near your home or business. Every agent has signed a "Pledge of Performance" to provide exceptional service and ethical guidance to customers. Contact a Trusted Choice member agent near you today to learn more about Iowa insurance suitable for all your coverage needs.