There is a lot to see and do around Berea, KY. As the home of Kentucky folk art, it can’t be beaten, and there is a lot of beautiful scenery through horse country. The Daniel Boone National Forest also calls to hikers, as does the preserve kept by Berea College. To see it all takes a lot of time as well as a car to get around, which means that if you live in Berea, auto insurance is a must. Your Independent Insurance Agent can help you to find the car insurance that fits your needs at the best cost possible. By shopping around for multiple quotes from many different companies, you will be able to compare and find car insurance for both your lifestyle and your wallet.
It’s quite affordable to insure a car in the Bluegrass State. During previous years, the U.S. average for car insurance was $1,311. In Kentucky, it came to $1,341 for the same year. There was $3.7 million in losses throughout the state at the same time. There are many things you can do to keep your car insurance cost down based on your car and your lifestyle. The factors that determine the cost of your policy include the following:
- Your coverage and deductibles - How much coverage do you have for any claim?
- Your vehicle - A more expensive car to repair costs more to insure.
- Your driving habits - How often and how far do you drive?
- Your ZIP code - How much vandalism has there been in your neighborhood?
- Your driving record - Are you accident- and ticket-free?
- Your credit history - A credit risk is considered to be an insurance risk.
- Your age, sex, and marital status - Single males under 25 are the highest risk.
Every agency is different and emphasizes different aspects. That’s why it’s important to shop around and compare to find the company that can insure you for the lowest possible cost.
Kentucky Car Insurance Requirements
State law requires every car and driver to have basic liability insurance. You may choose to have more coverage, but all insurance policies start with the state laws. The kinds of insurance you can select are listed below:
- Bodily Injury Liability: This is required, with a minimum of $25,000 per person covered and a minimum of $50,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: This is also required, with a minimum of $10,000 for any property (primarily other cars) damaged in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is also required, with a minimum of $10,000 for every motorist.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: This is not required in Kentucky, but you may want it in case you are hit by someone who has no insurance.
- Comprehensive: This is not required. This is a policy that includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage of any damage to the car for any reason.
Comprehensive insurance is commonly chosen by anyone with a new car that they rely on and want to keep looking its best. This covers everything, including damage from vandalism and theft. Some policies include rental car coverage when your car is in the shop and towing to get you there. If you need a car to get around Berea every day, you should get this coverage so that you are never left by the side of the road.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Kentucky
Uninsured motorist coverage is not required by law in Kentucky, but it is still a very good idea to have it. The state has a higher than average rate of uninsured drivers. The statistics from recent years show it plainly:
- Nationally, 12.6% of all drivers are uninsured.
- In Kentucky, 15.6% of all drivers have no insurance.
Nearly one in six drivers is not covered, even though state law requires insurance. If you are hit by a driver who has no insurance, you have to sue in court to recover any losses you realize, such as damage to your car or your medical bills. That’s all taken care of with an uninsured driver policy, which many people in Berea elect to have. It’s a good idea given how many uninsured drivers there are on the road.
Number of Auto Thefts in Kentucky
Auto theft is pretty rare in Kentucky. The data from recent years show it:
- Across the U.S., 2.94 out of every 1,000 cars are stolen each year.
- In Kentucky, the rate was 1.91 out of every 1,000 cars.
Even with this low risk of theft, it’s important to take a few precautions to protect yourself, such as parking in a garage. There are also some brands of cars that are stolen more often than others, so you may want to check on insurance costs before buying a new car.
Find a Great Berea Car Insurance Policy
As great as life is in Berea, you need a car to be able to get around and enjoy it. There are many options for you, and finding the right insurance for your lifestyle and your budget can be a challenge. Talk to your Independent Agent today. Your agent can point you to the right insurance for your needs and get you the quote for your car at a cost you can afford.