There is a lot more to Fort Thomas, KY than being a suburb of Cincinnati. With horse country nearby and the rolling hills of the Appalachian highlands not far, there is a lot to get out and see. But to really be a part of it all you need a car, and that means you have to have car insurance. To find the car insurance that fits your car and your lifestyle at a cost you can afford, talk to your Independent Insurance Agent today. Your agent can help you navigate the wide range of options and requirements to find the policy that fits your needs the best. The cost of car insurance in Kentucky is very close to the national average. Across the United States, car insurance averages $1,311, but in the Bluegrass State, it averages $1,341 per year. Your cost is based on a number of factors:
- Your vehicle - A more expensive car is more expensive to repair.
- Your coverage and deductibles - How much are you covered for in any claim?
- Your age, sex, and marital status - Single males under 25 are the highest risk.
- Your driving record - Are you accident- and ticket-free?
- Your credit history - A credit risk is considered to be an insurance risk.
You need to understand what you can do to protect your car before you choose the right insurance for your situation. Saving on car insurance may be appealing, but if it leaves you stuck without a ride, you may regret it later.
Kentucky Car Insurance Requirements
State law mandates that you have basic liability coverage. You may want more protection from liability and loss than that, however, based on your situation. Your legal requirements and options for car insurance include the following:
- Bodily Injury Liability: This is required, with a minimum of $25,000 per person covered and a minimum of $50,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: This is also required, with a minimum of $10,000 for any property (primarily other cars) damaged in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is also required, with a minimum of $10,000 for every motorist.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: This is not required in Kentucky, but you may want it in case you are hit by someone who has no insurance to bill.
- Comprehensive: This is a policy that includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage of any damage to the car for any reason.
Above and beyond the legal requirements, you can select to have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle. This is coverage for any ding or nick whether it is caused by an accident, vandalism or theft. You can also have it pay for a rental car and have a tow truck pick you up by the side of the road if your car is in the shop. Comprehensive coverage is the best way to keep your car looking great and keep you on the road no matter what.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Kentucky
Though it is not required, uninsured motorist coverage is a good idea in Fort Thomas. The statistics from recent years show that Kentucky has a higher than average rate of uninsured drivers on the roads:
- Nationally, 12.6% of all drivers are uninsured.
- In Kentucky, 15.8% of all drivers have no insurance.
In case of an accident, this pays you if the other driver does not have insurance no matter what happens to you. Without this coverage, you are responsible for the costs resulting from an accident that is not your fault. Many drivers in Kentucky take this coverage because with nearly one in six drivers out there not covered, it is very important.
Number of Auto Thefts in Kentucky
Grand theft auto is not very common in Kentucky, compared to the national average:
- Across the U.S., 2.94 out of every 1,000 cars are stolen each year.
- In Kentucky, the rate was 1.87 out of every 1,000 cars.
Despite the low rate, it’s still worth it to be careful and have good insurance if your car is especially valuable. If you do not have a comprehensive policy, the risk of your car being stolen is entirely on you. There are many things you can do to reduce the risk of auto theft, but the most important is to have a secure garage or other place to park your car at night. It’s also important to use the alarm that comes on nearly every car today. The right policy for you isn’t always the cheapest, so it is important to shop around to different companies to find the one that works best with your lifestyle.
Find a Great Fort Thomas Car Insurance Policy
Your car insurance policy has to fit your car, your lifestyle, and your budget. With all of the choices that go into this, along with state requirements, the best thing you can do is to talk to your Independent Agent. Your agent will find the best policy for your needs and get you multiple quotes so that you can compare them and choose the most affordable coverage for yourself.