In the heart of Kentucky, there is a lot to see and do. Whether it’s a weekend camping in the Daniel Boone National Forest or a visit to nearby horse country, the country life around London, KY is rich and rewarding. To enjoy it all, you do need a car, however, and that means you have to have car insurance by Kentucky state law.
The best way to find the London auto insurance that fits your needs is to talk to an Independent Insurance Agent. To serve you best, they shop around many different agencies and get many quotes so that you can compare and find the most affordable insurance to fit your lifestyle. Fortunately, vehicle insurance is very affordable in Kentucky as a whole. The figures from recent years tell the tale:
- Across the U.S., car insurance cost $1,311 on average.
- In Kentucky, the average was $1,341.
- This ranks the state at 21st overall for cost.
- There were $3.7 million in losses that year.
Car insurance costs considerably less than average in London than it does in the bigger cities. But there are still many things you can do to keep your cost low by shopping around for the best policy for yourself.
Kentucky Car Insurance Requirements
Kentucky law mandates that every driver has liability insurance. You may want more than that, however, and you do have many options. Starting with the state requirements these are the options:
- Bodily Injury Liability: This is required, with a minimum of $25,000 per person covered and a minimum of $50,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: This is also required, with a minimum of $10,000 for any property (primarily other cars) damaged in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is also required, with a minimum of $10,000 for each motorist.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: This is not required in Kentucky, but you may want it in case you are hit by someone who has no insurance.
- Comprehensive: This is not required. This is a policy that includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage of any damage to the car for any reason.
The required minimums may not be enough for you if you really depend on your car – and especially if you want to keep it looking great all the time. Comprehensive coverage takes care of everything for you, regardless of whether the damage came from an accident, theft or vandalism. You can even choose to be covered for a rental car when yours is in the shop. It’s best to know all your options before comparing the coverages and making your choice.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Kentucky
Despite the state law requiring insurance, Kentucky has a higher than average number of drivers who don’t have any:
- Nationally, 12.6% of all drivers are uninsured.
- In Kentucky, 15.6% of all drivers have no insurance.
With a one in five chance of being in an accident with a driver who has no insurance, you need to be protected. Uninsured motorist insurance pays you directly and takes care of suing the driver who is responsible for an accident. Without this coverage, you have to handle all of this yourself, which is a daunting prospect. It’s worth considering uninsured motorist coverage in London, especially if you drive in to the bigger cities often.
Number of Auto Thefts in Kentucky
Car theft is not a big problem in Kentucky compared to the national average:
- Nationally, 2.94 out of every 1,000 cars are stolen each year.
- In Kentucky, thieves target 1.94 out of every 1,000 cars.
There are many things you can do not only to protect your car from theft but also to keep your car insurance cost lower. For example, if you have only outside parking, you may have a higher rate, so a garage will keep your car safe and lower your insurance cost. It’s also important to have a car with an alarm in it for the same reasons.
Find a Great London Car Insurance Policy
You need a car to enjoy the good life out in the country around London. Whether you select full comprehensive coverage or the minimum liability, it’s important to have a policy that fits your lifestyle and your budget. Talk to an Independent Insurance Agent today to get the information you need to find the best coverage for your car and lifestyle at the best price possible. Your agent can help you understand your options and get you quotes from a lot of different agencies to find the best insurance for you at the most affordable price possible.