The natural draw of the American Saddlebred capital is a good reason to live in and enjoy the quiet life of Shelbyville, KY. The gateway to Bluegrass Country is a beautiful place to settle down and enjoy a quiet life. But you still need to get around in this rural setting, and that means owning a car or truck to get into town or handle chores. If you live in Shelbyville, auto insurance is a must because owning a vehicle is essential.
The choices and requirements for the best insurance for your car and your lifestyle are often complicated. That’s why your Independent Insurance Agent is so vital to finding the right Shelbyville auto insurance. Your agent will get to know your needs and find the right coverage for your vehicle at the best possible price by obtaining multiple quotes from many different insurance agencies. You can compare and select for yourself and drive with confidence.
Fortunately, car insurance is very affordable in Shelbyville, if a bit more than some places. The national average for car insurance in recent years was $1,311, but in Kentucky, the average was $1,341. There were $3.7 million in losses through the state that year. There are many things you can do to keep your car insurance affordable if you know what you are buying. Your insurance is based on your own situation, including these factors:
- Your coverage and deductibles - How much coverage do you have for any claim.
- Your vehicle - A more expensive car to repair costs more to insure.
- Your ZIP code - How much vandalism has there been in your neighborhood?
- Your age, sex, and marital status - Single males under 25 are the highest risk.
- The number of miles you drive yearly - Do you drive into Detroit? Or stay local?
- Your driving record - Are you ticket- and accident-free?
- Your credit history - A credit risk is considered to be an insurance risk.
In the event of a crash, the potential for high bills is more than the value of your car in case you are injured. You have to take into account the cost of other damage and medical bills, which are nearly unlimited in potential cost. The right coverage is critical to not being stuck in a terrible situation.
Kentucky Car Insurance Requirements
State law requires every driver in Kentucky to have basic liability insurance. You may choose more coverage, but all insurance policies start with the legal mandate. Your requirements and options are as follows:
- Bodily Injury Liability - This is required, with a minimum of $25,000 per person covered and a minimum of $50,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability - This is also required, with a minimum of $10,000 for any property (primarily other cars) damaged in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection - This is also required, with a minimum of $10,000 for every motorist.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage - This is not required in Kentucky, but you may want it in case you are hit by someone who has no insurance.
- Comprehensive - This is not required. This is a policy that includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage of any damage to the car for any reason.
Comprehensive coverage is the right choice for any driver who is totally dependent on having a car every day. It covers you for any damage, including hailstorms and theft. It may even include roadside assistance and rental car coverage while your car is in the shop. If you can never be stuck by the side of the road, a fully comprehensive policy is right for you.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Kentucky
One way many drivers keep their insurance costs low is by not carrying a policy that covers an accident with an uninsured driver. That can be a big mistake. This coverage is worth it when you look at the statistics:
- Across the United States, 12.6% of all drivers are uninsured.
- In Kentucky, 15.8% of all drivers have no insurance.
If you are in an accident with a driver who has no insurance, your policy covers you. With the odds of this happening better than one in six, it’s important to carry insurance to protect not just your car but any medical bills that result from the accident. Though not required by state law, uninsured motorist coverage is a good idea for every driver in Shelbyville.
Number of Auto Thefts in Kentucky
Cars are stolen less frequently in the Bluegrass State than in most others. But it is common enough that you still need to be aware of it. You may want to have a comprehensive policy even on an older car just to protect yourself if you become the victim of auto theft. These are the figures:
- Nationally, 2.94 out of every 1,000 cars were stolen in recent years.
- In Kentucky, the rate was 1.87 out of every 1,000 cars.
You also can take precautions against theft, such as using your car alarm and always parking somewhere that has good lighting or has a lot of people around at all times. The cost of your Shelbyville auto insurance may be lower if you have a garage. Some makes and models are targeted more heavily by thieves, so ask your agent if you have to be careful, especially if you are considering buying a new car.
Find a Great Shelbyville Car Insurance Policy
With all of the choices and requirements for car insurance, it’s hard to find the right policy for your car and your lifestyle on your own. Talk to an Independent Insurance Agent about your options so that they can find you the quote that fits your needs at an affordable price.