Located just south of Nebraska’s North Platte River, the small city of Gering is home to about 8,500 people. Best known for hosting the annual Oregon Trail Days celebration, this city has a strong sense of community. If you are among Gering’s proud property owners, you will want to be sure to protect your investment with a suitable homeowners insurance policy. When you are looking for the best insurance policy for your Gering home, a local independent insurance agent can help. Contact an insurance agent near you to learn more and to start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Gering, NE?
The average cost of homeowners insurance in Nebraska is higher than the national average, but in Gering, the rate is closer to the national average. This is good news for area residents who are looking for affordable home coverage.
- National yearly premium average: $1,173
- Nebraska yearly premium average: $1,369
- Gering yearly premium average: $1,184
It is important to keep in mind that the rates listed above are just averages. Rates can actually vary significantly from one homeowner to the next because costs are based on a number of considerations. Your rates can be influenced by things like:
- The size, age, and value of your home
- The materials used in your home’s construction
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family home, multi-family home, townhouse, condo, etc.)
- The crime rate and weather risks in the ZIP code where your house is located
- The amount of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
To find out how much insurance coverage will actually cost for your Gering home, you can ask an independent agent to obtain customized quotes from a variety of reliable providers. Each company has its own method for calculating rates, so comparing quotes lets you choose the policy that provides you with the best value for your money.
What Kinds of Damage Does Gering Homeowners Insurance Cover?
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against many of the risks you face as a property owner in Gering. This includes damage caused by a number of extreme weather events.
- Number of federally declared disasters in Nebraska since 1953: 60
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Nebraska: 54.6
- Average amount paid in home insurance claims per year in NE: $698.6 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Your homeowners property coverage is divided into two parts: dwelling and contents. Dwelling covers damage to the structure of your home, while contents covers the personal property inside it. A local insurance agent can help you review your property coverage limits so you can be sure that they are sufficient to enable you to rebuild and replace it in the event of a disaster. As a resident of Gering, you are most at risk for property damage caused by severe storms, hailstones, freezing temperatures, and heavy winds. This coverage also pays for damage caused by many accidental incidents such as an out-of-control kitchen fire.
Also, while the tornado risk in Gering is not very high, this is still a risk you will want to be covered against in case a twister, like the one that touched down 5 miles from the Gering city center in 1985, destroys your property. Finally, flood damage also poses a risk to many homeowners in this city. However, flood damage is specifically excluded from home insurance coverage. If your property is at risk, an independent insurance agent can help you secure a supplementary flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Talk to your insurance agent to learn more.
Why Would Homeowners in Gering Need Liability Protection?
Your Gering home insurance policy covers more than just your personal property. It can also shield you against excessive financial losses related to a wide range of potential liability claims. This is important because liability lawsuits can be extremely expensive and, without insurance, could cause people to lose their homes. Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover expenses such as court costs, legal fees, and damages if you are responsible for any of a number of covered events. Some examples of times you may need this coverage include:
- If a guest in your home trips over loose carpeting and is severely injured
- If your dog gets loose and bites a delivery person
- If you accidentally injure a friend during a game of tag football in Oregon Trail Park and they require surgery and physical therapy due to the injury
- If you are accused of libel or slander after posting a negative review online
In each of these cases, your home insurance policy is likely to cover your associated costs.
What Is the Burglary Rate in Gering?
The burglary rate in Nebraska is lower than the national average. In Gering, the rate is higher than the state average but still lower than the national rate. Residents of this small city report about 30 burglaries in an average year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Nebraska: 3.38
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Gering: 3.90
Though the risk is low, know that if your Gering home is targeted by burglars, your homeowners insurance can provide you with compensation for your losses. You will need a copy of the police report and an itemized list of your lost or damaged property when you file a claim. Your local independent insurance agent can assist throughout the claims process.
What about Insurance for Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
Some residents of Gering own more than one home. Maybe you own a vacation home in the Colorado Rockies, or perhaps you have a smaller house nearby that you rent to tenants. Whatever your reasons, if you own a residential property that does not serve as your primary residence, you are likely to have additional insurance coverage needs.
- When vacation homes are left vacant for long periods, this increases their risk of sustaining significant structural damage. These homes may need to be covered by vacant home insurance when not in use.
- When second homes are used as rental properties, they tend to have low contents coverage needs, but high liability and structural damage risks. Insurance companies typically require these homes to be covered by landlord insurance.
An independent insurance agent can help you understand the coverage needs associated with all of your properties and can help you find the best and most affordable policies to cover them.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Gering, NE?
Independent insurance agents make it easy to find the best and most affordable homeowners insurance policy. This is because, unlike captive agents, they can work with several different insurance companies to obtain multiple customized quotes. That way, they can find you the policy that is offered at the most competitive price.
Contact an insurance agent in or near Gering to begin your search for the right home insurance policy.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.