The Lincoln suburb of Seward, Nebraska is home to about 7,000 people. Many are drawn to this city for its small-town feel, low crime rate, and famous Fourth of July celebration. If you own a house in Seward, you can protect the investment you have made in it by purchasing a solid homeowners insurance policy.
Independent insurance agents can help you find the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your Seward home. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more and to start comparing customized quotes from a variety of this area’s most highly rated insurers.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Seward, NE?
The average cost of homeowners insurance in Nebraska, and in Seward specifically, is higher than the national average. Shopping around and comparing rates before making a purchase has the potential to save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Nebraska average yearly premium: $1,481
- Seward, NE average yearly premium: $1,362
Of course, rates can vary significantly from these averages. Actual home insurance costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis according to several factors such as:
- The size, age, and value of your home
- The type of house you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached, multi-family, condominium, townhouse, tiny home, manufactured home, vacation home, rental property, etc.)
- The number of stories in your home and whether it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like car insurance or life insurance
Comparing a few customized quotes enables you to choose the homeowners policy that offers you the best coverage at the lowest price. Independent insurance agents in Seward make comparison shopping easy.
Does Seward Homeowners Insurance Cover against Catastrophic Events?
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against most of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Seward.
Catastrophic Events in Nebraska
- Number of federally declared disasters in Nebraska: 72
- Most common causes of disasters in the state: Severe Storms, floods, and wildfires
- Average. number of tornadoes per year in Nebraska: 57
- Amount paid out in home insurance claims in NE in 2019: $699 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
The risk of tornado activity in the Seward area is 110% higher than the national average. Among the worst to strike in the area was an F4 twister that touched down 4.3 miles from the Seward city-center in 2001. This tornado caused about $1 million in damage to area homes and businesses.
In addition to tornadoes, residents of Seward are most at risk for damage caused by residential fires, severe storms, hail, strong winds, heavy snows, ice accumulation, freezing temperatures, and property crimes. Fortunately, all of these risks are covered by standard homeowners insurance policies.
A local independent insurance agent can help you review all your property coverage to ensure that it is sufficient.
What about Coverage against Floods in Seward?
Floods pose a very real risk in the Seward area. Unfortunately, many property owners do not discover until it is too late that flood damage is not covered by homeowners insurance.
Residents who live in designated floodplains near the Big Blue River are most at risk, but when heavy rains fall, drainage systems can become overwhelmed and flash flooding can occur just about anywhere in this city. This is what happened in the city in March 2019 when several parts of the city were underwater.
Fortunately, a local independent insurance agent can help you secure up to $250,000 in structural coverage and $100,000 in contents coverage with an affordable flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Plan (NFIP).
Just because you live outside a designated flood zone does not mean that you should forgo this coverage. According to FEMA, as many as 20% of flood claims filed are for properties located in low-risk areas, and as little as one inch of rainwater in your home can result in as much as $25,000 in damage.
Flood insurance takes 30 days to go into effect, so do not wait until heavy rains are imminent to purchase a policy. Talk to a local independent agent to discuss your flood risk and to learn more about your flood insurance options.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Why Do Seward Homeowners Need Liability Insurance?
Liability lawsuits can happen to anyone, and when they do, things can get very expensive very quickly. Fortunately, all home insurance policies provide a significant amount of personal liability coverage.
While chances are good that you will never have to use your homeowners liability insurance, it may give you some peace of mind just to know that it is there for you.
This insurance is designed to cover the various expenses that may accrue, such as court costs, legal fees, and damages, if you or someone in your household is responsible for accidental injuries or damage to others.
Some examples of situations in which this personal liability coverage can protect you include:
- A visitor in your home is injured in an accident that can be blamed on negligence on your part, such as if a tread on your staircase is loose.
- You accidentally hit someone with a throwing disc while playing a game of disc golf at the Plum Creek Sports Complex.
- Your child breaks your neighbor’s picture window while playing ball with friends in your backyard.
- Your dog gets loose from your house and bites a pedestrian.
- You are accused of libel or slander.
If you wish to have higher liability limits than your home insurance provider can offer, your agent can also help you obtain a competitively priced umbrella insurance policy. Umbrella insurance is an affordable way to boost all your liability coverage.
Does Seward Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglaries?
The burglary rate in Nebraska is lower than the national rate, and in Seward, the risk is even lower. Residents of this city report about 10 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Nebraska: 2.72
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Seward: 1.53
Given its low burglary rate, it is little wonder that the National Council for Home Safety and Security ranked Seward the #1 Safest City in Nebraska in 2017.
While your risk of being targeted by burglars may be low, it may give you a little comfort to know that if you happen to become the victim of a property crime, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for the loss of your belongings as well as for any resulting property damage.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Seward, NE?
The easiest way to find the best homeowners policy is by working with a local independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for a specific insurance company, so you can be sure that you are getting trustworthy guidance as you shop for the coverage you need for your Seward home.
Independent agents in Nebraska are ready to help. Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.