Essex is Vermont's second most populous community. It lies snugly between the Green Mountains and Lake Champlain. Nearly 1,200 businesses call this charming community home. The most prevalent industries in Essex include computer and electronic products, healthcare, and professional services.
Business insurance helps business owners in Essex protect their assets when something goes wrong. An independent insurance agent can help you compare business insurance quotes in Essex, VT to choose the best coverage for you.
How Much Does Business Insurance Cost in Essex, VT?
Business insurance costs in Essex, VT vary across businesses and industries. The following are some of the factors that influence business insurance costs:
- Your number of employees
- The nature of your business (what do you do?)
- The size and physical location of your business
- The value of your physical assets (buildings, vehicles, machines, equipment, inventory, etc.)
- Your gross sales and payroll
- Your prior claims history
Some businesses may be more susceptible to property losses. If you live in an area with a high property crime rate or experience frequent severe weather, you may pay more for business insurance. There have been 50 federally declared disasters in Vermont since 1953. The leading causes of property losses in the state are:
- Severe storms and lightning
- Flooding and water damage
- Hurricanes and tropical storms
- Ice storms and freezing
- Burglary and other property crimes
A local independent insurance agent can help you understand all of your risks.
Is Business Insurance Required in Essex, VT?
Business insurance is a package of insurance policies covering your property and liability risks. Most types of business insurance are not required by law in Essex. But if your business owns any vehicles, you have to buy commercial auto insurance that complies with Vermont’s minimum coverage requirements.
Business vehicle owners in Vermont must buy liability coverage up to the following minimum limits:
- Bodily injury liability: $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident.
- Property damage liability: $10,000 per accident.
- Uninsured/uninsured motorist coverage: 50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident for bodily injury; $10,000 for property damage.
Bodily injury liability insurance covers you if you are at fault in an accident and someone other than yourself is injured. Property damage liability insurance covers damage to another person's vehicle or property in an accident that is your fault. Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage provides coverage for bodily injury to you and your passengers if you are involved in an accident caused by a driver with no insurance or insufficient insurance to cover your claim.
In addition, workers’ compensation insurance is mandatory for all Vermont employers. Workers' compensation insurance helps injured workers pay for the cost of medical care and lost wages if they are injured on the job.
Most business owners in Essex will need commercial property insurance and general liability insurance to protect their assets adequately. But state law does not require these types of insurance.
What Does Business Insurance Cover in Essex, VT?
A typical business insurance package in Essex, VT will include the following types of coverage:
- Commercial general liability (CGL) insurance: Protects your business from lawsuits related to bodily injury and property damage claims. It pays for medical expenses, legal fees, and financial settlements or judgments. Your CGL policy even covers personal injury claims such as libel and slander.
- Commercial property insurance: This covers damage to a building and its contents if damaged by a weather event, fire, theft, vandalism, and other covered perils.
- Business interruption coverage: Protects your earnings if your business cannot operate because of damage after a fire, hail, wind, equipment breakdown, or another covered event. If you are forced to close your doors for some time to make repairs, this coverage pays for rent, employee salaries, lost income, relocation fees, and more.
- Commercial auto insurance: Protects your business-owned cars and trucks from property damage and liability claims.
- Workers’ compensation insurance: Pays for medical expenses and a portion of an employee's lost wages after a work-related injury. It is mandatory for all employers in Vermont.
Don't settle for cookie-cutter insurance for your Essex business. Your business insurance package may include additional policies that cover your unique risks.
Save on Business Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Does Small Business Liability Insurance Cover in Essex, VT?
Lawsuits against businesses are common. From simple trips and falls to illnesses caused by tainted food or severe injuries caused by faulty products, the costs to defend yourself and pay the injured party can be devastating if someone accuses you of negligence.
Small business liability insurance protects you from the financial losses associated with lawsuits. Commercial general liability (CGL) insurance provides broad coverage for third-party bodily injury and property damage claims. It pays for court costs and legal fees if you are sued (even if the suit is unfounded, you have to defend yourself), as well as any settlements or judgments that you must pay.
It also pays for medical expenses for injured parties and provides coverage if you are accused of advertising liability, slander, or libel.
A CGL policy does not cover every kind of liability risk. Additional types of commercial liability policies are available for many of these scenarios.
Are There Any Small Business Health Insurance Plans in Essex, VT?
Employee benefits are an essential part of any business insurance program. Group health insurance, life insurance, and wellness programs don't cover any physical assets or protect against lawsuits. Still, they do play an important role in ensuring that you have a healthy, satisfied, top-quality workforce.
And employers who offer small business health insurance plans may also be eligible for significant tax benefits.
There are many different small business health insurance plans in Essex, VT. A local independent agent can help you find an affordable small business health insurance plan that meets your needs.
Who Are the Best Small Business Insurance Companies in Essex, VT?
Finding the best small business insurance companies in Essex, VT can be simple. A local independent insurance agent can help you get business insurance quotes from multiple insurance companies so that you can select the best policy for your needs and budget.
How Can an Independent Insurance Agent Help Me Find the Best Business Insurance in Essex, VT?
Instead of getting an online quote, find an independent insurance agent now, and get a one-on-one consultation and affordable options for the best coverage for your unique needs. Your agent will work with you free of charge, offering you a variety of business insurance quotes in Essex so that you can make the best choice.
What’s more, your agent will be there for you when claim time comes. They know the ins and outs of the process and will make sure your claim is handled appropriately.
Contact an agent today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.