Farmers Union Insurance Company at a Glance
- Founded in 1945
- Offers individual and commercial coverage
- Coverage available in nine states
- Rated "A+" (excellent) by the Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- Rated "A+" (superior) by AM Best
Farmers Union pros: Longstanding carrier with more than 75 years' of experience. Offers individual and commercial coverage. Highly rated by AM Best and the BBB. 24/7 claims reporting via phone. Discounts available.
Farmers Union cons: Not BBB accredited. Difficult to find any customer feedback. Coverage not available nationwide.
To find insurance in your state, use our national insurance company directory to find the best company to meet your needs. You can locate insurance companies that specialize in your specific coverage needs and get connected to an agent near you.
What Type of Insurance Does Farmers Union Offer?
Here's an overview of the products offered by Farmers Union.
- Homeowners insurance
- Auto insurance
- Telecommunications insurance
- Farm insurance
Your independent insurance agent can help you find more information about the coverages offered by Farmers Union, and help you decide if this insurance company is right for you.
What to Know about Farmers Union Insurance
Farmers Union Insurance was founded in 1945, giving the insurance company more than 75 years' worth of experience within the industry. The carrier's original mission was to serve the coverage needs of rural America. The company is headquartered near Denver, CO.
Today, Farmers Union offers its coverage in nine states. Coverage options include farm insurance as well as home insurance, auto insurance, and telecommunications insurance. Farmers Union was acquired by National General Holdings Corp. in 2019. The carrier offers its products through 23,000 independent insurance agents across the map.
Thanks to its rich history and products offered, Farmers Union has become known as a stable and reliable insurance company over the years. AM Best gives National General Holdings Corp. insurance company an overall “A+” rating, indicating the carrier is a superior choice for insurance customers.
Established in 1899, AM Best is one of the oldest rating companies in the world. Reviews from AM Best indicate an insurance company’s financial strength and creditworthiness and are based on comprehensive evaluations of the company’s operating performance, business profile, and annual report.
Find The Right Company Today.
Shopping for a company? We have the right one for you.
What Discounts Does Farmers Union Offer?
Farmers Union's official website lists the following discounts available for their homeowners insurance.
- "Client longevity discount: Offered to insureds who have either been insured with Farmers Union Insurance for three or more years, or come to Farmers Union Insurance having been continuously insured with their prior company for three years or longer.
- Updated home discount: Offered to insureds who have made full updates to their homes structure and systems to keep wear and tear related risks at a minimum.
- Package discount: Get a multi-policy discount when you also insure your auto or farm with Farmers Union Insurance.
- Claim free discount: Receive a discount on your policy for maintaining a clear claim history."
For more information about discounts and other money-saving hacks on your insurance coverage, work with an independent insurance agent. Independent insurance agents work hard to get you the most affordable coverage that satisfies your needs.
Farmers Union Customer Service
Here's an overview of Farmers Union's customer service availability and contact options.
- Phone contact option
- Fax contact option
- 24/7 phone claims department
- Live chat available on website
- Snail mail contact option
- Main customer service phone department hours not specified
To ensure a great customer service experience, work together with an independent insurance agent. Independent insurance agents can help handle claims and other matters for you, so you can relax and enjoy your coverage.
Farmers Union FAQ
What is Farmers Union's average claim response time frame?
Farmers Union strives to contact customers ASAP, within 24 hours of reporting a claim.
What is Farmers Union's customer service availability?
Famers Union allows customers to contact them through phone, fax, snail mail, or the live chat option, but does not provide specific phone department hours. The claims department is available 24/7 via phone.
What is Farmers Union's claims process?
Farmers Union's official website breaks down their claims process as follows.
- "Investigation of the facts. Our claims representative is required to contact you within 24 hours of your claim. From there, he or she will gather the facts of the loss from everyone involved in the claim, then review your policy to confirm applicable coverages and limits.
- Determination of damage. Our experienced claims representatives will assess your home, rental, or auto to determine the amount of repairs needed and when applicable, the value of your totaled vehicle. We will then provide this information to you as quickly as possible in damage and repairs estimates. We are also committed to helping you arrange all needed repairs and rental services. In fact, we partner with more than 250 Auto Repair Facilities and Enterprise Rent-a-Car. We even guarantee our claims repairs!
- Resolve and complete your claim. You're almost there! We'll wrap up your claim by working with you or your client directly to complete all applicable paperwork needed to document your loss. Our goal is to get your property back to pre-accident condition, and get your life back to normal as quickly as possible."
Does Farmers Union Insurance create a user-friendly experience for customers?
Does Farmers Union have good farm insurance?
Farmers Union's official website lists the following coverages are available for farmers.
- Buildings & structures (house, barns, sheds, silos, etc.)
- Equipment breakdown
- Farm advantage endorsements
- Livestock theft
- Increased haystack limit
- Rented or borrowed irrigation equipment
- Sign coverage
- Cargo coverage
- Lock replacement
- Incidental extras
- Refrigerated products
- Farm/ranch operations records
- Buildings under construction
- Debris removal
- Pollutant cleanup and removal
- Identity theft recovery expense
An independent insurance agent can help you determine if Farmers Union's farm insurance, or any of their other products, are the right choice for you.
Is Farmers Union a good insurance company?
Farmers Union is highly rated by AM Best and the BBB and has several decades' worth of experience under their belt. The carrier offers both personal and business coverage. However, it's difficult to find customer feedback about the carrier.
TrustedChoice.com's Final Review
We award Farmers Union Insurance a final rating of 2 out of 5 stars. The carrier has more than 75 years' of experience in the industry today and is highly rated by AM Best and the BBB. They also offer both individual and commercial coverage.
However, Farmers Union only offers its coverage in nine states currently. We do like that they offer 24/7 phone claims reporting, but what we're most concerned about is the lack of customer reviews to be found. Without input from customers about the carrier's coverage and service, it's difficult for us to rate Farmers Union very highly at this time.
Overall, we recommend looking into Farmers Union Insurance along with several other options with the help of an independent insurance agent. Especially if longterm customer reviews and social media presence are important to you.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.