QBE Insurance Company at a Glance
- Founded in 1886
- One of the world’s largest insurance carriers
- Offers several types of coverage
- Offers coverage for individuals and businesses
- “A” (excellent) rating by A.M. Best
- “B” (good) rating by Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- “A+” rating Standard & Poor’s
- Strong financial stability
- 24/7 claims reporting
- Mobile app available
QBE pros: More than a century’s worth of experience in the insurance industry. Global presence. Offers several forms of insurance for individuals and businesses, including auto insurance, commercial liability insurance, renters insurance, and more. High ratings by A.M. Best and Standard & Poor’s. Strong financial stability. Excellent website and user-friendly experience. Offers 24/7 claims reporting.
QBE cons: Not a BBB accredited business. Many complaints filed through the BBB in recent years. Large volume of dismal customer feedback. Rating through the BBB is low compared to most modern carriers.
What Types of Insurance Does QBE Offer?
QBE offers a wide range of coverages for individuals and businesses. Their insurance offerings include:
- Errors and omissions insurance
- Commercial liability insurance
- Cyber liability insurance
- Tax indemnity insurance
- Inland marine insurance
- Accident and health insurance
- Auto insurance
- Aviation insurance
- Management liability insurance
- Homeowners insurance
- Renters insurance
This list of insurance products offered by QBE is not exhaustive. If you’re on the market for any of these coverage solutions, talk to your independent insurance agent about QBE to find out if this is the right carrier to meet your needs.
What to Know about QBE
QBE was first founded as “The North Queensland Insurance Co. Limited” in Australia in 1886, giving the carrier nearly 135 years’ worth of experience in the insurance industry. The new holding company emerged as QBE Insurance Group Limited in 1973. In 1991, the North American branch was formed. Today, the insurance company has nearly 12,500 employees worldwide.
QBE has a multinational presence and has become one of the largest insurance companies in the world. The carrier is reportedly worth $14 billion. Standard & Poor’s rated QBE an “A+” for creditworthiness. A.M. Best ranks the carrier’s long-term outlook with an “a+,” or excellent. The insurance company offers a large selection of coverage solutions for individuals and businesses, from renters insurance to commercial errors and omissions insurance, and more.
QBE’s extremely rich history, massive size, and amount of insurance in force has aided the carrier’s reputation as a financially stable insurance company that’s projected to be around for many more years to come. A.M. Best, the leading global credit rating agency monitoring the insurance industry, gives QBE an “A” rating, indicating the carrier is an excellent choice for insurance customers. A high rating from A.M. Best assures customers that QBE is capable of offering guaranteed, secure coverage from a trustworthy and reputable carrier.
Established in 1899, A.M. Best is one of the oldest rating companies in the world. Reviews from A.M. Best indicate an insurance company’s financial strength and creditworthiness, and are based on comprehensive evaluations of the company’s operating performance, business profile, and balance sheet. For customers who aren’t as familiar with insurance companies’ respective reputations, A.M. Best’s ratings system allows them to make an informed decision about who they can trust to meet their needs in the short term and to remain a strong, financially sound company in the long term.
What Discounts Does QBE Offer?
QBE offers several competitive discounts for its customers on all kinds of coverages including their auto insurance. These discounts include:
- Good student discount: Awarded to auto insurance customers who are students and maintain a good grade average.
- Longevity discount: Awarded to auto insurance customers who remain with QBE for a set number of years. Discount can increase over time.
- Passive restraint discount: Awarded to auto insurance customers whose vehicles are equipped with airbags.
- Multi-policy discount: Awarded to customers who have more than one policy through QBE, such as home and auto insurance.
- Accident/violation-free discount: Awarded to auto insurance customers who have not had any accidents or traffic violations over a set amount of time.
Your independent insurance agent can help you find even more information on discounts offered by QBE and additional ways to save money through the insurance company, helping you to find the coverage you need at the rate you deserve.
Find The Right Company Today.
Shopping for a company? We have the right one for you.
QBE Customer Service
QBE allows customers to file claims online or over the phone at any time. The carrier provides the following customer service options:
- Online claims reporting
- 24/7 phone claims reporting
- Email claims reporting
- Mobile app available
- Main customer service hotline has the following hours restrictions:
|Monday-Friday||8 am - 8 pm|
The best way to ensure a smooth customer service experience is by working with an independent insurance agent. Independent insurance agents can help make customer service easier for you by handling claims and other concerns.
What is QBE's average claim response time frame?
QBE allows customers to file claims through a couple of different mediums 24/7. The official website states that a claims representative will be in touch with customers within approximately one business day after a claim is filed.
What is QBE's customer service availability?
QBE allows customers to file claims 24/7, either via phone or online. Their customer service department is available at generous hours, Monday-Friday. The insurance company also has an active social media presence on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter, which makes them even more accessible to customers.
What is QBE's claims process?
QBE allows customers to file claims at any time through multiple mediums. The official website breaks down the carrier’s claims process in detail, as follows:
“1. Initial contact and review of coverage available to you
- After reporting your claim, a QBE Claim Professional will contact you within approximately one business day.
- The QBE Claim Professional will verify the details of the loss and the policy information, and also explain the coverages available to you. They will discuss the deductibles, potential coverage exceptions and coverage limits with you.
- During the call, the Claim Professional will discuss options for getting an estimate of the cost to repair or replace your covered motor vehicle.
2. Getting ready for repairs
- If your vehicle was damaged due to a covered loss, your QBE Claim Professional will offer to help you find a repair facility or arrange to get an estimate of the repair cost ("Damage Estimate").
- In some cases, someone else may be liable or partially liable for the damage to your vehicle or injuries you incurred. Your QBE Claim Professional will explain your options for repairing your vehicle and pursuing recovery against the responsible party.
3. Arranging for damage estimate/repairs
Typically, you will have two options for selecting a repair shop.
- QBE Direct Repair Program (DRP) - when you pick a QBE partner shop, you're not slowed down by arranging for a claim inspection or having to get multiple estimates of the damages. To keep the process simple, the QBE DRP shop takes care of the estimate, paperwork and, of course, the repairs. The program includes a nationwide warranty on the repairs for as long as you own the vehicle.
- Inspect and Repair - You can decide to have the repairs done at a repair shop of your choice. If the shop you select is not in our Direct Repair Program or Open Shop Network, we will arrange for an independent inspection to get an estimate of the repair cost. QBE will authorize the repairs after the estimate is reviewed and validated.
4. Other people involved or damage to public property
We'll also contact anyone else that was involved in the accident. If you receive correspondence from other people involved in the accident, please send it to your Claim Professional by email or fax.
- Email it to ClaimMail@us.qbe.com; put the claim number (and nothing else) in the subject line of the email.
- Fax it to us at 866-251-5389 and include your claim number in the subject line.
In some instances you may be liable for damage or injuries to others involved in the accident. The QBE Claim Professional will investigate and manage this part of the claim on your behalf according to the terms and conditions of your policy.
5. Managing repairs or determination of total loss
- Your repairer will be your primary contact while your car is being repaired. How long it takes will depend on the repairer’s availability and the damage to your car. If you have any other questions during this time, please contact QBE.
- To the extent your policy coverage allows, we will also arrange for a rental vehicle during the repair period.
- If the cost of repairs exceeds the value of the vehicle, we typically adjust your claim for the actual cash value, which accounts for depreciation, of the vehicle at the time of loss less any applicable deductible amount. In these total loss situations, we will need information about any outstanding loans or liens on the vehicle or the title. Be sure to remove all personal items from your vehicle, including title, registration, insurance cards, and license plates.
6. Payment for cost of repairs
- QBE will mail a check to you for the cost of the covered repairs less the deductible for the applicable coverage. The check will be payable to you and the repair shop. You endorse the check when the repairs are completed to your satisfaction. You also have the option to sign a form authorizing direct payment to the repair shop, and you will pay the repair shop for deductible amount.”
If customers want to check on the status of a claim after it’s been filed, they can contact their agent, call the carrier, or log into their online account or mobile app.
Does QBE create a user-friendly experience for customers?
QBE’s official website is excellent. The layout is highly intuitive and easy to navigate, and pertinent information is fleshed out in a satisfactory depth. QBE provides 24/7 claims reporting via phone and online. Customers can also pay their bills online. Additionally, the carrier has a mobile app and a strong social media presence. Overall, QBE’s user-friendly experience is among the best of all modern carriers today.
Does QBE have good auto insurance?
QBE offers a multitude of insurance products, including auto insurance for individuals. The insurance company’s FlexAuto auto insurance policies come with the following coverages and features:
- Bodily injury coverage
- Property damage coverage
- Medical payments/personal injury protection
- Physical damage coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage
- Towing and labor coverage (optional)
- Audio/visual equipment coverage (optional)
- Transportation expenses coverage (optional)
- Accident forgiveness
- Individualized rates
QBE bases its premium rates on each individual’s driving behavior rather than selling all of their policies at one fixed rate for everyone. This allows customers who are good drivers to be rewarded with more affordable coverage. Your independent insurance agent can help you find out even more about QBE’s FlexAuto auto insurance policies as well as their many other products offered.
Is QBE a good insurance company?
QBE has been around for well over a century now and has received high ratings through A.M. Best and Standard & Poor’s. However, their rating through the BBB is lower than many modern carriers and they are not accredited through the organization. The insurance company has had numerous complaints filed against them through the BBB in recent years. Customer feedback is largely mixed with several glowing reviews but also a large volume of dismal reviews. QBE does offer many types of coverage and has a large presence, but after reviewing customer feedback, it’s difficult to pinpoint if they can truly be considered a good insurance company.
QBE Customer Reviews
|“So far my experience with QBE has been positive. My insurance agent is very professional and responds to my requests in a timely manner. They offer competitive discounts.”|
|“Very low cost but lacks customer service. The online website is difficult to use when you need to reset your password. You have to call in instead of simply answering security questions. The company does not have a wide range of business hours.”|
|Better Business Bureau|
|“I submitted a cancellation request form as I moved out from my prior apartment and they just ignored it and extended the insurance for one more year. Ridiculous insurance company. I have been sending them emails and calls and they never got back to me, ignoring all of my five emails and calls. Now I have to cancel my card and get a new one thanks to this insurance company.”|
|Better Business Bureau|
|“Worst company I have ever dealt with. Can’t get anyone to give me a call back on my insurance claim. I’ve left multiple messages and emails and I just keep getting ignored.”|
|“DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. They have been charging me for a years’ worth of renters insurance every month for five months even though I cancelled five months ago. They are completely unresponsive on the phone. Complete scammers. I have to report them as fraud to my credit card company now. STAY AWAY.”|
TrustedChoice.com's Final Review
We award QBE insurance company a final rating of 2.5 out of 5 stars. The carrier has been around for well over a century now; however, sadly it does not seem to have used this time to perfect its customer service practices. With high ratings through A.M. Best, a large catalog of insurance coverages offered, an excellent website, and 24/7 claims reporting, we were all set to give QBE one of our highest ratings. Honestly, the carrier would have scored much better if not for the customer feedback. While there is some glowing feedback to be found, it seems the majority of customer reviews are dismal at best. Customers seem primarily frustrated and disappointed by their treatment from the carrier rather than their coverage. Many customers report frustrations in having their calls or other contacts returned by QBE, and many others complain that they’ve tried several times to cancel a policy they no longer need, to no avail. The carrier’s rating of a “B” through the BBB is also relatively low compared to many modern carriers.
Bottom line: Though size, history, and financial ratings are certainly factors to examine when selecting an insurance company, what we’re always most concerned with is whether a carrier delivers on its promises to customers. With QBE, unfortunately, we’re not convinced that’s the case. With so many detailed encounters of frustrating customer service experiences, we have no choice but to dock QBE some serious points in our books. Overall, we recommend working closely with your independent insurance agent to survey your other options for coverage first, before settling on QBE—especially if excellent customer service is important to you.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.