Whether you have retired and downsized your residence in Connecticut; have just started out as a homeowner and opted for the affordability; or inherited your mobile home, you might prefer the convenience and community of living in a mobile home association. And mobile home insurance will help protect your investment before you move in. As you search for manufactured home insurance quotes on a specific policy, be sure to keep the following in mind.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our search engine will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Mobile Homeowners Defy the Stereotypes
Mobile homes are quickly losing their once less-than-appealing stigmas. As more people opt for the convenience and affordability of mobile home living, mobile home communities are replacing "trailer parks." These communities come complete with their own mobile home associations.
As the design and comfort of these homes improve, they even look more like traditional, site-built homes. While significant differences still exist, your home is your castle, and you want to protect it just as anyone else would. These are some mobile home statistics:
- Census figures released in 2010 found mobile homes in Connecticut make up just 0.8 percent of the housing, down slightly from 0.9 percent in 1990.
- Nationwide, there are 22 million people living in 9.5 million mobile homes, according to statistics compiled by the Manufactured Housing Institute.
- In Connecticut, there are about 11,000 mobile homes in 210 communities with about 20,000 occupants.
- At the Woodland Mobile Home Association in Connecticut, about 95 percent of the residents are retired.
- Property taxes at the Shelton Mobile Home Park in Connecticut are as low as $600.
- A 1,500 square foot, doublewide home with a garage runs about $130,000 in this state.
Get Mobile Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is Mobile or Manufactured Home Insurance?
Mobile home insurance acts just like traditional homeowners insurance as it protects you from paying to repair or replace your structure and its contents. The right policy can even protect you from paying legal and court fees if you are liable for an injury or damage to another person's belongings while they are on your property.
The reason CT insurance companies offer a specific policy for mobile or manufactured, homes is that manufacturers build them with lighter materials. Thus, they have different risks than site-built homes. Manufacturers construct these homes in a factory and transport them to a site where builders attach them to the ground with anchors.
While these anchors are completely safe, they are prone to more damage during heavy storms and strong winds than a home built on a foundation. Your manufactured home is likely perfectly safe, but because of its inherent differences, insurance companies have specific policies for them.
A modular home consists of modules constructed in a factory. At the site, the builder attaches the modules to a foundation. A traditional homeowners insurance policy will usually cover this type of home. If you rent your manufactured or modular home, a renters insurance policy is more appropriate for you.
What Does Mobile Home Insurance Cover?
The coverage you need for your Connecticut mobile home is similar to the coverage for a traditional home. The type of policy you choose and the amount of coverage you need will depend on the size and value of the home; whether you own the land the home is built on; and the risks in the area (severe weather events and crime rates), among other factors.
Most Connecticut insurance companies offer these basic types of insurance policies for mobile homes:
- Mobile home liability coverage: This coverage takes effect if your negligence results in injury to others on your property, or if you damage someone else's property and the person takes you to court. Liability coverage will even help pay your legal fees.
- Property damage: This covers any significant loss to your property that requires repair or replacement.
- Personal property: This covers your personal belongings in case of burglary or theft, as well as damage or loss due to weather events or disasters like fires, tornadoes or falling objects.
What Does Mobile Home Insurance Cost?
While most people can find mobile home insurance policy quotes for less than $1,000 a year in Connecticut, your mobile home insurance quotes will depend on a number of factors:
- The location of your Connecticut mobile home: Those in high-crime areas will receive higher quotes due to the greater risk of property crimes.
- The value of your mobile home: Due to the affordability of mobile homes, your quotes may be lower than for someone living in a traditional, site-built home.
- The coverage you choose and the deductible you select: Be sure the deductible is an amount you can comfortably afford to pay should disaster strike. Don't skimp just to save a few bucks a month.
Find Affordable Mobile Home Insurance
You could spend hours on the Internet finding and comparing quotes for mobile home insurance to protect your Connecticut residence. Or, you could simply contact a knowledgeable Trusted Choice® independent insurance agent and have them do the work for you.
Talk with an independent agent for information on how to get your mobile home insurance.