Orland Park, Illinois is located 25 miles southwest of Chicago. It has a population of around 56,000 residents. Homeowners in Orland Park enjoy a pleasant, safe lifestyle. But no matter where you live, your home can be damaged by fire, severe weather, and even break-ins or vandalism. The best way to protect your Orland Park home from these types of unforeseen events is to purchase a reliable homeowners insurance policy. An independent insurance agent can help you obtain the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your unique needs.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Orland Park, IL?
Illinois ranks as the 28th most expensive for the cost of home insurance in the US. The average cost of homeowners insurance in Orland Park is higher than both the state and national averages.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- Illinois average yearly premium: $1,033
- Orland Park average yearly premium: $1,276
You should expect your premiums to be more or less than average because everyone’s homeowners insurance rates are a little different. The cost of insuring your home is based on its unique characteristics and the amount of coverage you need. To determine your rates, insurance companies look at the type of home you have (one-story, townhome, two-story, etc.) as well as its age, size, and value. They also consider the types of materials used in your home’s construction as well as several other factors, such as:
- Your claims history and credit score
- Your coverage limits and the deductible that you choose
- The crime rate and weather risks in your city or ZIP code
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance
The best way to make sure you are getting the best price is to shop around. An independent insurance agent can get quotes from multiple insurance companies so you can compare costs and coverage and make the best choice for your needs and budget.
Homeowners Insurance Covers Your Property
Homeowners insurance protects you from the financial consequences of most property losses you could experience in Orland Park. Whether a kitchen fire causes damage to one room or a burst pipe causes extensive damage throughout your home, a reliable home insurance policy will help reimburse you for repair costs, lost and damaged possessions, and even living expenses if you can’t live in your home while you make repairs.
- Number of declared disasters in Illinois: 60
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms and Floods
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Illinois: 54
- Average amount of property damage per year in Illinois: $1,958,191,000
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
Illinois is particularly susceptible to tornadoes, severe storms, and floods. These can cause minor to severe damage to residential properties at any time. After a covered event, your dwelling coverage pays for repairs to the physical structure of your home. The contents coverage of your homeowners insurance policy covers the costs to repair or replace lost or damaged possessions.
The Importance of Liability Insurance for Orland Park Homeowners
Liability insurance is one of the most important parts of any homeowners policy. It protects you when a family member or you are sued for some kind of negligence. This can happen when someone is injured on your property, or even if a family member or you cause some kind of damage or injury to someone else. Consider these examples:
- A guest in your home is seriously injured in an accident because of your negligence.
- Your child or pet causes injuries or property damage to a neighbor.
- You are accused of libel or slander because of something you posted online.
The liability insurance portion of your homeowners policy covers court costs, legal fees, and even settlements or judgments levied against you if you are sued. If you have extensive assets or feel you need more coverage than the liability limits of your home insurance policy, you might want to consider an umbrella policy. Umbrella insurance supplements the liability coverage in both your home and auto insurance policies.
Does Orland Park Homeowners Insurance Offer Burglary Coverage?
Homeowners in Orland Park have a very low risk of burglaries and break-ins. There are 0.46 burglaries per 1,000 Orland Park homes each year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Illinois: 3.75
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Orland Park: 0.46
While Orland Park is a very safe city, if you do experience a property crime your home insurance will reimburse you for your losses as well as any property damage you sustain. A local independent insurance agent can help you be certain that your home and your possessions are properly insured. If you have items like expensive jewelry, special collections, or family heirlooms, ask your agent about adding special endorsements or riders to ensure that these items have appropriate coverage.
Insurance Coverage for Second Homes and Vacation Homes
If your primary residence is in Orland Park but you own a second home or a vacation home, you have special insurance considerations. Whether you own a lake cottage, a hunting cabin, or a rental property in the city, your second home needs sufficient insurance protection. You might think it’s easier to insure a second home, but in fact, homes that do not serve as a primary residence actually have additional risks.
- Rental property owners have high liability risks. Landlord insurance can help protect you from the costs of liability claims and lawsuits.
- Thieves and vandals often target homes that are empty for long periods. What’s more, water damage, ice damage, and fires are more common in homes that are only occupied seasonally. Talk to an independent agent to see if vacant home insurance can help in your situation.
A local independent insurance agent can help you find appropriate policies to cover all of your residential properties.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Orland Park?
The easiest way to find a reliable and affordable homeowners insurance policy is by contacting a local independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so you can be sure that you are receiving trustworthy guidance and the coverage you need.
Contact an agent in or near Orland Park to start comparing customized, competitively priced home insurance quotes.