Chicago is a perfect city to hit the road on two wheels – whether you ride a motorcycle for commuting or for recreation. Owning a motorcycle involves a certain amount of risk, along with the many rewards. With the freedom of the open road comes increased risks, especially compared to driving an enclosed vehicle.
To get the most enjoyment out of motorcycle ownership, you’ll want the peace of mind knowing that your investment in your bike is protected. If you are in need of Chicago, IL motorcycle insurance, an independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network can help. Contact a member agent today to get the assistance you need.
- 4,500 motorcycle-related deaths occurred in 2010
- Motorcycle injuries and deaths cost about $12 billion per year
- Motorcycle-related deaths have gone up more than 50 percent in the last 10 years
Definition of Motorcycle and Motorbike Insurance
At its most basic, a motorcycle is a two-wheeled vehicle with a motor. This definition includes choppers, sport bikes, motocross bikes, and even scooters. These vehicles do not have the safety features of a standard automobile such as seatbelts and airbags.
By state law, motorbike owners have to carry insurance. Chicago motorcycle insurance is similar auto or truck policies, except insurers take on more risk due to the heightened dangers of injury and death for motorcycle riders. Motorcycle insurance protects you financially from loss due to an accident or some event that causes damage to your bike, another vehicle or to other people. The basic coverage options are:
- Property damage liability: Pays for damage to another vehicle or property resulting from an accident you caused, up to the policy limit
- Personal injury liability: Pays up to the policy limit for injuries resulting from an accident you caused; also pays legal fees, up to the policy limit
- Collision: Pays for collision damage to your motorbike
- Comprehensive: Covers damage due to falling objects, vandalism, theft, fire, and even hitting an animal/object
- Medical payments: Pays for medical bills from an accident above and beyond personal injury liability coverage
- Uninsured motorist: Covers expenses related to an accident where the driver who caused the crash does not have enough coverage
Owning and operating a motorbike exposes you to a variety of liability concerns. Many Chicago motorcycle insurance policies do not have enough coverage to keep you and your bike safe. Find a local Trusted Choice member agent to help you choose a policy that best suits your needs.
State Insurance Requirements and How to Determine
CoverageSince motorcycles are on-the-road vehicles, the IL law requires that all riders are covered with liability insurance. State law mandates coverage of $20,000 in personal injury liability for a single individual, $40,000 for all individuals in an accident and $15,000 in property damage liability.
The appropriate Chicago motorcycle insurance coverage for you may be more the legally required minimums. You may want to consider whether you have the ability to buy another motorbike should you suffer a total loss, or if you have enough to cover your deductibles. These factors will help you and your Trusted Choice member agent decide how much coverage you will need.
Where to Locate Chicago Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
Because it is state law to have Chicago motorcycle insurance, it is your duty to be covered. Each bike and owner is different, so every policy must be tailored for the unique risks and needs of the policy holder. Most online sites don’t have calculators for these specific risks and needs, so it is important to contact a Trusted Choice member agent to get the most accurate quote.
A local Trusted Choice independent agent can evaluate your situation and make a side-by-side comparison of Chicago motorcycle insurance quotes. No matter which company you pick, that same agent can review your policy, answer questions and help you with the claims process. For convenience and peace of mind, contact your neighborhood Trusted Choice member agent to begin your insurance search.