Disasters in Louisiana result in more than $700 million in property damage a year. That is why, if you have purchased a house in the small town of Port Barre, you will want to be sure to protect your investment with a suitable homeowners insurance policy.
Local independent agents are available to help you help you with all your insurance coverage needs. These agents are free to work with several different insurance providers, so they can shop around to find the coverage you want at the most competitive rate. Contact an insurance agent near you to learn more.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Port Barre, LA?
Because of the severe weather risks in Louisiana, the average cost of homeowners insurance in this state is higher than the national average.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Louisiana average yearly premium: $1,968
Of course, your quoted costs are likely to vary from the average listed above because home insurance rates are calculated on a case-by-case basis according to several factors such as the following.
- The age, size, and value of your house
- The type of house you are covering (e.g., single-family detached, mobile home, rental property, etc.)
- The number of stories your house has
- The crime rate and weather risks where your house is located
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of your deductible
Comparing quotes from a few different insurance providers lets you be sure you are not paying too much for your homeowners policy.
Port Barre Homeowners Insurance Covers Your Property
Homeowners insurance is designed to cover the cost to rebuild, repair, or replace your property if it is damaged by a covered event.
Here are some of the covered hazards that can affect homeowners in Port Barre.
- Accidental fires
- Tropical storms
- Property crimes
Your homeowners property insurance will have different parts.
- Contents coverage: This covers loss or damage to your personal property.
- Dwelling coverage: This covers loss or damage to the structure of your home.
- Other structures coverage: This covers loss or damage to peripheral structures like sheds and detached garages.
You will want to be sure that your coverage limits in each category are high enough to allow you to fully rebuild, repair, or replace your property if your home is impacted by a catastrophic event like a fire or tornado.
A Word about Flood Insurance in Port Barre, LA
Homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage. Unfortunately, floods do sometimes occur in Port Barre.
FloodFactor.com has identified 172 properties in this town that have a significant risk of sustaining flood damage. In fact, Port Barre residents experience an average of $700,000 worth of flood damage a year.
Fortunately, you can supplement your home insurance with an affordable flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). This insurance, which is administered by FEMA, enables you to purchase up to $250,000 in dwelling coverage and $100,00 in contents coverage for your home.
Flood insurance policies take 30 days to go into effect, so do not wait until a hurricane is brewing to purchase your policy.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is Loss of Use Insurance?
The risk of tornado activity in Port Barre is very high. This town has been impacted by 172 tornadoes in the last seven decades. The worst was an F3 twister that touched down causing millions of dollars worth of damage.
If a disaster like a tornado or a structure fire renders your home uninhabitable, loss of use insurance can help. This coverage is included as a standard part of every home insurance policy.
Loss of use insurance is designed to pay for your alternate living expenses while your house is being repaired following a covered event. Some things it can cover include the following.
- The cost of accommodations, like a hotel or rental unit
- A meal allowance if your accommodations do not include a kitchen
- Pet boarding fees, if necessary
- Mileage reimbursement if you must travel further to get to and from work
- Moving costs
Loss of use coverage can continue until you are able to return to your home or are ready to move into a new house, though it is typically limited to 12 months.
Why Do Homeowners in Port Barre Need Liability Insurance?
Accidents and errors in judgement can sometimes result in very expensive lawsuits. Fortunately, your homeowners insurance also provides you with a significant amount of personal liability coverage.
Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover things like court costs, legal fees, mediation costs, settlements, judgements, and other expenses if you or someone in your household is unintentionally responsible for injuries, financial losses, property damage, or other harm to others.
Examples of situations where this liability coverage can help include the following.
- A visitor is seriously injured while diving into your swimming pool.
- Your dog gets off its leash and bites someone.
- While visiting a friend, you accidentally break something very valuable in their home.
- Someone accuses you of libel or slander.
If you would like to have more liability coverage than your home insurance company can provide, you may want to also consider purchasing an umbrella insurance policy. This is an affordable way to significantly boost all of your personal liability coverage.
Homeowners Insurance Covers against Property Crimes in Port Barre
The burglary rate in Louisiana is higher than the national rate.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Louisiana: 6.68
Although your homeowners insurance can cover your losses if you are the victim of a burglary or another property crime, the preferable outcome is to avoid being a victim in the first place. To safeguard your home, you can take precautions such as the following.
- Pausing mail service and leaving lights on timers when you go out of town
- Leaving a radio on when you aren’t home
- Ensuring that all entryways to home have secure, working locks.
- Keeping doorways well lit and unobstructed
- Getting a dog or just putting up a "Beware of Dog" sign
- Installing a home security system
Home security systems are among the most effective theft deterrents. That is why many insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have alarm systems installed in their homes.
Why Work with a Local Independent Agent?
Independent insurance agents can help you find a comprehensive, yet affordable, homeowners insurance policy. These experienced agents are available to answer your coverage-related questions and to gather customized quotes from a variety of the area’s best insurance companies.
Arrange an obligation-free consultation with an insurance agent near you to learn more. You will soon discover how easy it can be to find the best homeowners insurance policy for your Port Barre home.