There are nearly 114,000 motorcycles registered in Louisiana. From the Folsom Bogalusa Loop to the Highway 57 Salt Mark Tour, the Pelican State is filled with great roads for motorcyclists to enjoy year-round riding. However, you cannot legally take your bike out on the road if you don’t have motorcycle insurance.
Independent agents in Louisiana can obtain customized quotes from a variety of competing motorcycle insurance providers. This lets you choose the policy that offers the coverage you want at the most affordable price. Find an independent insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Motorcycle Insurance Cost in Louisiana?
The average cost of motorcycle insurance in Louisiana is $1,175 a year.
Of course, this average cost can only give you a general idea of what you might actually be expected to pay. Factors that can influence how much your policy will cost include:
- Your motorcycle’s make, model, year, and value
- Your age, occupation, and years of riding experience
- Whether you own or rent your home
- Your history of traffic citations, both while riding and while driving
- The estimated number of miles you ride your bike per year
- The size of your deductible
By bundling your motorcycle insurance with other policies like car insurance, homeowners insurance, or renters insurance, you can often earn significant discounts on all of your policies. You may also qualify for reduced rates if you have passed a certified motorcycle safety course.
Why Compare Motorcycle Insurance Quotes in Louisiana?
Motorcycle insurance costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis, and every insurance company has a different method for assessing risk and assigning rates. This means that every insurance company you contact is likely to quote you a different price.
Getting rates from a few competing providers lets you choose the policy that is offered at the best price. Independent agents make comparison shopping easy.
Is Motorcycle Insurance Required in Louisiana?
In Louisiana, motorcycle insurance is required in order to register your bike, obtain tags, and legally take your bike out on the road. Your policy must include, at a minimum, sufficient liability insurance.
Motorcycle liability insurance is designed to cover property damage or injuries you may cause to other people if you are responsible for a collision while riding. Your policy must meet or exceed the following coverage amounts:
- Bodily injury liability coverage per person: $15,000
- Bodily injury liability coverage per accident: $30,000
- Property damage liability coverage per accident: $25,000
All other motorcycle coverage is optional.
What Else Does Louisiana Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
In addition to the liability and uninsured motorist coverage that you are required to have, most insurance companies will offer several coverage options. These often include:
- Collision insurance: This covers repair or replacement costs if your bike is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers repair or replacement costs if your bike is damaged in a non-collision event like a flood or windstorm.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This can cover your medical treatment and repair costs if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured driver.
- Medical payments insurance: This covers emergency treatment and related medical bills for you and your passenger if you are injured in a motorcycle accident, regardless of fault.
- Custom parts insurance: This can increase your motorcycle’s assessed value if you have installed any customized accessories or equipment on it. That way, if your bike is totaled in a covered event, you can be compensated for the true value of the bike.
- Gap insurance: This is a good idea if you have financed your bike and currently owe more for it than it is worth. This coverage can pay off your motorcycle loan if your bike is totaled in a covered event.
- Towing and roadside assistance insurance: This covers the cost of assistance If your motorcycle becomes disabled while you are out on the road and you need to call for help.
Be sure to review the details and costs of each of your various options so you can make an informed decision about which coverage add-ons are a good fit for you.
Better Motorcycle Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Riding an Uninsured Motorcycle in Louisiana?
Riding without insurance is illegal in Louisiana. If caught, you can face penalties including:
- Fines ranging from $500 to $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, registration, and/or plates
- The impoundment of your bike
- Higher motorcycle insurance rates
Failing to carry insurance also comes with significant risks to you if you are in an accident. In this state, even if someone else is at fault for the collision, you will be unable to file a claim with their insurance company to cover your injuries and property damage. This law is known as “No Pay, No Play.”
What Are the Best Motorcycle Insurance Companies in Louisiana?
Insurance companies are highly rated when they have a solid reputation for reliability, service, and affordability.
Independent agents in Louisiana have built relationships with many of the best motorcycle insurance companies in Louisiana. This means that any policies and quotes they collect for your review are from insurance providers you can trust.
How Can an Independent Agent in Louisiana Help Me Find the Best Motorcycle Insurance?
When you are in the market for any kind of insurance coverage, you can benefit from having the guidance and advice of a local independent agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance provider, so they are free to shop around to find a suitable policy at a competitive price.
Arrange an obligation-free consultation with an independent insurance agent near you to start comparing customized motorcycle insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.