Whether you are riding Route 191 along the Mississippi River to South Toledo Bend State Park, or hitting Interstate 49 from Shreveport to Alexandria, there is nothing like traveling the open road on a motorcycle. The wind through your hair, the scenery around you, and the open air gives you feelings of freedom you don’t get in an enclosed automobile. But as a responsible motorcycle owner in Louisiana, you realize that with that freedom comes risk, as risk of injury and death in a crash is much greater, compared to an automobile.
Louisiana motorcycle insurance can cover the added risks of riding your favorite bike around the state.
Motorcycles in Louisiana
- In 2012, there were 147 alcohol-related motorcycle crashes in LA, which killed 74 people.
- About one of every 15 motorcycles in LA was involved in an alcohol-related crash.
- There were 333 motorcycle crashes in 2012 that resulted in at least one injury each.
The numbers above paint a pretty stark picture about the risks that motorcycle riders face every time they hit the road. If you are at fault for an accident or injury, you would have to pay the medical bills for the injured party, plus your legal defense in case of a lawsuit. Louisiana motorcycle insurance can protect your assets, when you are on Louisiana’s roads, enjoying the freedom on the bayou.
What Does Motorcycle Insurance Cover
Louisiana motorcycle insurance is similar to car insurance, with a few small twists. It covers the following:
- Liability, for bodily injury and property damage to others, if you are at fault in an accident
- Collision, for repairs to your bike after a crash
- Comprehensive, to cover damage from weather, hitting an animal, vandalism, or motorcycle theft
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist, to pay for damage caused by a motorist with insufficient coverage
- Medical payments, to pay for your treatment after an accident
- Equipment coverage, to pay for your sidecar and other gear or upgrades
The most important part of your policy is arguably the liability coverage. These limits can be set at the Louisiana required minimum. However, a claim against you can easily exceed this limit, costing tens or hundreds of thousands in court ordered damages, repairs, medical fees, and your legal defense. Once your liability limits are exceeded, you are responsible to pay the rest of the settlement amount out of your savings, future earnings and assets. That's why it can pay off to set your liability limits as high as you can reasonably afford.
Better Motorcycle Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
How Much Does Louisiana Motorcycle Insurance Cost?
There are lots of factors that go into determining your rate:
- Your age
- Your driving record
- Your experience as a motorcycle rider
- Type and value of the bike
- Your location
- Distance you drive
- Purpose for riding, whether for commuting or pleasure
If you have an inexpensive bike and a perfect driving record, your insurance premiums will likely be very affordable. Young, inexperienced riders usually have to pay more for coverage, as do owners of fast, expensive sport bikes. If your bike is a collector's item, which you only ride around town on weekends, your rates will be lower than someone who uses a motorcycle to commute each day. A local agent can give you an accurate quote, based on your specific situation.
Get the Right Motorcycle Coverage for You
If your motorcycle is going to be on the road, it will need some level of Louisiana motorcycle insurance, by law. However, the type and amount can be customized to suit your risks and budget.
So before you strap on that helmet and hit the open road, sit down with a local agent in the Trusted Choice® network to get the best Louisiana motorcycle insurance quotes for you, and the best policy to ensure your freedom and peace of mind.