Most car-owners understand their need for personal auto insurance. However, did you realize that if you are a business owner whose company owns and manages a vehicle, or a fleet of vehicles, you will need to meet specific insurance requirements with a commercial vehicle policy? In a state such as Louisiana, where the roads are filled with commercial vehicles of all types, it is necessary to evaluate your insurance needs and get adequate coverage. Whether your business uses cars, trucks, vans or even buses to transport people or goods, you will need to cover them with Louisiana commercial vehicle insurance. The type of policy you need will depend on the type of vehicles you or your employees operate.
Commercial Truck Accidents in Louisiana
- 85 people were killed as a result of an accident involving a commercial vehicle
- Nearly 1,600 commercial vehicle accidents resulted in injuries
- 87 accidents involved vehicles carrying hazardous materials
- High-crash locations include the Interstate 10/12 Corridor and the Interstate 20 Corridor
Although you cannot predict whether or not you or your employees will be involved in an accident, you can be proactive by securing sufficient coverage with a suitable Louisiana commercial vehicle insurance policy.
Evaluate Your Need for Louisiana Commercial Vehicle Insurance
The first step toward getting the right insurance coverage is to identify your needs. If you own and use vehicles, such as a fleet of semi-trucks, entirely for business purposes, you will obviously need commercial vehicle coverage. However, if you occasionally use your personal vehicle for work-related purposes, you may be able to just purchase at-hire or non-owned vehicle liability coverage through your business insurance policy. As a business owner, you may not be sure just how much coverage you need, or where to find a reasonably-priced policy. If you have difficulty evaluating your specific situation, an independent insurance agent can serve as a helpful resource for analyzing your needs.
What Louisiana Commercial Vehicle Insurance Covers
Your state requires auto liability insurance coverage because it serves to protect vehicle owners and other parties involved in accidents. Your commercial auto policy helps mitigate your financial liability in the event of an accident. And, since your vehicles may be transporting people or valuable goods, you will likely appreciate the added protection a required insurance policy offers.
The main thing that your commercial auto policy will cover you against is liability. If you, or one of your employees, cause damage to another while using a company vehicle, your business can be sued. Liability coverage will protect your company from these excessive costs so you can continue your business operations unhindered. Policies will also have a variety of coverage options. These include:
- Collision insurance: This covers damages to your vehicle if you or your employees are at fault for a vehicular collision.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers damages to your vehicles that are caused by things that are unrelated to a collision such things as weather damage, theft, and vandalism.
- Medical payments insurance: This covers any medical expenses necessary to treat the drivers and passengers of your company vehicles if they are injured in a motor vehicle collision for which your driver is at fault.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists insurance: This covers property damage and bodily injury you, your employees and passengers if they result from an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured third-party.
Closely review any Louisiana commercial vehicle insurance quotes or policies you are offered prior to making a purchase. That way, you can ensure that you are getting all the coverage you need and want.
How an Independent Agent Can Help You Find the Right Policy
Finding the right policy at the right rate requires you to comparison shop. You have the option to seek commercial vehicle insurance on your own by contacting several individual companies, but this can be time-consuming and frustrating. To save time and money, consider working with an independent agent in our network. These agents work with multiple highly-rated insurance companies to build you a policy that best meets your needs. Allow an agent to review your business vehicle situation, answer your insurance-related questions and help you compare a variety of Louisiana commercial auto insurance quotes and policies so that you can focus on running a successful business.
Find a member agent with an office near your home or office today to learn more.