East Lansing is home to Michigan State University and offers an upbeat culture that is perfect for small businesses. With tree-lined lanes and easy access to the state capital, this beautiful city is a great choice if you're ready to chase your entrepreneurial dreams. During previous years, there were 856,682 small businesses in Michigan, providing jobs to 1,755,901 people. However, recent years have also brought some serious risks for business owners, with $12,848,751 paid out for losses.
If you're a small-business owner in East Lansing, MI, you can minimize your risk with business insurance. Our Independent Insurance Agents specialize in helping small-business owners find the best East Lansing business insurance solutions to protect against liability, property damage, and even cyber crime. Liability can be an expensive issue for small businesses, and even one lawsuit can have devastating consequences for your East Lansing business assets. Imagine if someone tripped and twisted an ankle on a slippery floor. You would be responsible for the medical bills.
According to a recent Travelers Business Risk Summary, 60 percent of small-business owners ranked medical cost inflation as their highest concern and more than 30 percent said they felt least prepared to handle this issue. Make sure you're prepared for unforeseen situations with general liability insurance.
- Product Liability: According to a national study, 71 percent of product liability awards by the courts amounted to $1 million or more. For small business, this kind of payout can be insurmountable. Product liability insurance shelters your business from this kind of devastating loss.
- E&O/Professional Liability: Professional liability policies protect businesses from "errors and omissions" that cause harm to customers or their property. If a customer alleges that your advice or opinion was detrimental to their physical or psychological well-being, you could be faced with an expensive lawsuit. Professional liability coverage acts as a safety net to protect your East Lansing business in this situation.
Business Interruption Insurance for East Lansing Businesses
- Recent Gross domestic product: 2.2%
- Recent Michigan gross state product: 2.0%
- The recent GSP was 0.2% lower than the recent GDP
Business interruption insurance can keep your company afloat if a disaster forces you to shut down operations. For example, if a neighboring building catches fire and the blaze spreads to your office space, you'll have to close down until the fire is under control and the damage is repaired. Business interruption insurance steps in and pays you for the income you lose while you're waiting for repairs to be completed.
Property Insurance for East Lansing Businesses
- Number of recent natural disasters: 119
- Only 61% of losses from natural disasters were covered
- Total uncovered property damage in recent years: $9.7 billion
Natural disasters can be a serious problem for small businesses. Unpredictable winter storms pose a particular threat to East Lansing. If a tree falls on your business and smashes the roof, you'll have to find money to make repairs. Property insurance steps in to pay for the damage so you can focus on what matters most – making your business a success.
Workers' Compensation for East Lansing Businesses
Workers' compensation is an important aspect of commercial insurance for any East Lansing small business. If one of your employees suffers from a work-related injury or illness, workers' compensations covers medical bills, physical therapy, and any other necessary treatments. If you're a sole proprietor, you might be required to carry workers' compensation in order to do work for certain companies. Our Independent Insurance Agents can help you find the most affordable workers' compensation solutions for your unique needs.
Employee Coverages for East Lansing Businesses
- Total recent spending on premiums in Michigan: $1,134,005
- Ranked 39th for the highest premiums in the U.S.
- Annual cost of health care for small businesses in recent years: $5,321/person or $15,242/family
Michigan's health insurance premiums trend on the lower end of the national average, but they can still be a major burden for small-business owners. If you're shopping around for health care and life insurance benefits for your employees, our Independent Insurance Agents can help. Our experienced agents can provide quotes from a wide network of coverage options, allowing you to compare costs and find a benefits package that will be the best fit for your East Lansing small business.
Cyber Crime Insurance for East Lansing Businesses
- 10,338 Identity theft complaints in Michigan in recent years
- Ranked 6th highest for identity theft complaints in the U.S.
East Lansing small businesses depend on technology for a variety of reasons. Whether you're using online banking, tracking your inventory or processing payments, technology plays a vital role in daily operations. However, only 22 percent of small businesses have a response plan in place for cyber attacks and data breaches. Make sure your company is prepared to deal with hackers by investing in cyber crime insurance.
Finding the best commercial business solutions is simple when you have an Independent Insurance Agents on your side. Our experienced agents offer one-on-one support to small-business owners in East Lansing. You can compare policies and build a customized business insurance plan that will be a good fit for your company's unique challenges.
Contact an agent today to get a free quote on East Lansing business insurance and learn more about the best commercial policies for small businesses.