Petoskey is a beautiful resort town in northern Michigan. This small town has been a huge tourist hot spot for generations. With breathtaking views and a large downtown shopping district, Petoskey, MI is the perfect place to start a new business. The only disadvantage for business owners in this area is the severe winter weather. In 2014, there were 856,682 small businesses in Michigan, providing employment to 1,755,901 people. Of course, owning a business also carries serious risks. In 2014, loss payouts to Michigan businesses totaled $12,848,751. A great way to minimize your risk is to invest in Petoskey business insurance.
Trusted Choice® Independent Insurance Agents will work hard to find your business the most comprehensive protection at the best price. Our experienced agents will provide quotes on multiple commercial policies that will protect you from common threats your business will face in northern Michigan.
Liability lawsuits happen every single day and can be financially devastating to a small business. According to the 2015 Travelers Business Risk Summary, 60% of small-business owners ranked medical cost inflation as their highest concern and more than 30% said they felt the least prepared to handle this issue. Make sure you choose a reliable liability insurance plan so you are protected from liability related lawsuits.
- Product Liability: According to a national study, 71% of product liability awards and 53% of medical malpractice awards by the courts amounted to $1 million or more. It takes only one customer claiming to have been made ill or injured to jeopardize your entire company and all your hard work. Product liability insurance safeguards your company against any lawsuits and court-ordered payouts.
- Errors & Omissions/Professional Liability: If your business offers a service rather than a physical product, product liability insurance is the best choice. Whether you’re a contractor, a marketing consultant or a beautician, professional liability insurance is an important piece of the commercial insurance policy. If you lend some bad advice or make a bad judgment call, you could risk financial ruin. If you get sued, your E&O liability policy helps shoulder the burden of legal fees and pays for any court-ordered settlement that you incur.
Business Interruption Insurance for Petoskey Businesses
- Gross domestic product in 2014: 2.2%
- Michigan gross state product in 2014: 1.0%
- The 2014 GSP increase was 1.2% less than the 2014 GDP increase
Petoskey’s heavy winter snows pose a serious threat to property owners. When the next storm hits, the heavy snowfall could cause roof collapses or falling trees. Imagine if your business is damaged to the point where you have to shut down to make repairs for a lengthy period of time. In the meantime, you have no money coming in to pay your bills or even support your family. Business interruption insurance offers protection for small businesses by compensating for profit losses after an interrupting event.
Property Insurance for Petoskey Businesses
- Number of natural disasters in 2014: 119
- Only 61% of losses from natural disasters were covered
- Total uncovered property damage in 2014: $9.7 billion
Natural disasters can lead to massive property damage and be devastating for small businesses. In Petoskey, residents see over 95 inches of snow each winter. These weather-related threats can wreak havoc on your business property, so make sure you’re prepared with a comprehensive commercial property insurance policy in advance.
Workers' Compensation for Petoskey Businesses
Employee injuries can lead to ongoing legal issues, which is why workers' compensation is now required across most of the nation. If one of your employees suffers from a work-related illness or injury, your workers' comp policy steps in to pay for the medical bills and the employee’s lost wages while offering your company a valuable buffer of protection against lawsuits.
Employee Coverages for Petoskey Businesses
- Total 2013 spending on premiums in Michigan: $1,134,005
- Ranked 39th for highest premiums in the U.S.
- Annual cost of health care for small businesses in 2013: $5,321/person or $15,242/family
Health care costs are on the rise all over the nation. This makes it especially challenging for business owners to find affordable health care to offer employees. Luckily, independent insurance agents can provide you with quotes on multiple policies and point you toward the most budget-friendly employee coverage options on the market. With the help of our agents, you can find a policy that offers maximum benefits for your employees at an affordable price.
Cyber Crime Insurance for Petoskey Businesses
- 10,338 identity theft complaints in Michigan in 2014
- Ranked 6th highest for identity theft complaints in the U.S.
Michigan businesses are at a particularly high risk for cyber crime when compared with other states. If you fall victim to a data breach or a hacker, you will want to make sure you are protected. Only 22% of small businesses have a response plan in place to deal with cyber crime and data breaches. Make sure your business is prepared by adding cyber crime coverage to your commercial insurance policy in Petoskey.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed with all of the options available in the realm of business insurance, Trusted Choice Independent Insurance Agents can help. Our experienced agents will help you navigate these choices and build a customized business insurance plan that is designed to protect your business against Petoskey’s biggest risk factors. If you’re worried that your business might be at risk for liability lawsuits or you need to find affordable employee coverages, let our agents go to work on your behalf. Contact a Trusted Choice agent today to get your free rate quote on Petoskey commercial insurance.