No city in America says cars more than Detroit, MI. Without Motown, there wouldn’t be cars, after all. The city was designed around the great product they made. If you live here, you know there are many great things to get out and do, but in order to get around, you absolutely have to have a car. To own a car in Michigan is to insure a car under state law, so before you can even get behind the wheel, you need a Detroit auto insurance policy that fits your lifestyle and your budget.
Your Independent Insurance Agent can help you figure out the many options you have and find the best insurance for your situation. Since these agents aren’t tied to one company, they will shop around for multiple quotes so that you can compare and find the policy that fits your needs and your wallet. Car insurance is expensive in Michigan. There is no way around it:
- Nationwide, car insurance cost $1,311 on average in recent years.
- In Michigan, it came to a staggering $2,476.
- This ranks the state number 1 in cost, the highest in the nation.
- There were $12.8 billion in losses that year.
Car insurance is expensive in Detroit for two primary reasons – a large number of uninsured drivers and a high rate of theft. As you shop around with different carriers, it’s very important to understand what goes into calculating your car insurance premium in order to reduce the cost.
Michigan Car Insurance Requirements
The laws in Michigan require you to have basic liability coverage. This is where your car insurance starts, but you can always elect to have more coverage based on your needs. The kinds of insurance you can select from include the following:
- Bodily Injury Liability: This is required, with a minimum of $20,000 per person covered and a minimum of $40,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: This is also required, with a minimum of $10,000 for any property (primarily other cars) damaged in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is not required, but you may elect to cover any injuries to yourself.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: This is not required in Michigan but important for reasons discussed below.
- Comprehensive: This is not required. This is a policy that includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage of any damage to the car for any reason.
Generally, if you have a new car that you want to keep looking its best or simply rely on every day, you might want to have a comprehensive policy. There are many different kinds of comprehensive auto insurance. Some policies include towing and rental car coverage while yours is in the shop so you are never stuck by the side of the road. If you have an active lifestyle and absolutely need to get around, you should shop around for the most affordable policy.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Michigan
Uninsured motorist coverage is not required by law in Michigan, but you may still want to consider carrying it. Michigan has a very high rate of uninsured drivers. The statistics from recent years show why:
- Nationally, 12.6% of all drivers are uninsured.
- In Michigan, 21.0% of all drivers have no insurance.
Despite the state laws requiring basic liability, more than one in five drivers are not covered. If you are hit by a driver who has no insurance, you have to sue in court to recover any losses you experience, such as damage to your car or your medical bills. An uninsured driver policy takes care of that for you. It’s important to have in Detroit because of how many uninsured drivers there are on the road.
Number of Auto Thefts in Michigan
Uninsured drivers are not the only reason car insurance is more expensive in Michigan than anywhere else. Detroit also has a higher than average rate of cars being stolen. The most recent data from recent years shows how much higher:
- Across the U.S., 2.94 out of every 1,000 cars are stolen each year.
- In Michigan, the rate is 3.33 out of every 1,000 cars.
If you do not have comprehensive coverage and your car is stolen, you have to find a replacement on your own. With Michigan's high rate of car theft, it’s important to protect yourself in Detroit and be sure that you can replace your car no matter what. That may include comprehensive insurance for just about any car, not just a new one. It may be more affordable for you if you have a safe place to park your car off the street, which some insurance carriers will take into account. The right policy for you isn’t always a matter of the lowest cost, which is why it’s important to shop around to different companies to find the one that works best with your lifestyle.
Find a Great Detroit Car Insurance Policy
It isn’t easy to get the right policy for your needs at a price you can afford. Your Independent Agent can help you find the insurance carrier that suits you the best so that you can drive with confidence, knowing that everything is taken care of.
Talk to an agent today, and get the auto insurance quote for your car at the price that fits your wallet.