At the edge of the Motown suburban ring, Novi, MI is just a half-hour drive to Detroit and all it has to offer. As the home of the Novi Special, it has its own place in the history of the automobile. There is a lot to see and do in this fast-growing community. But getting around means having your own set of wheels, and every driver needs to have car insurance.
The choices and requirements for the best insurance for your car and your lifestyle are often complicated. That’s why your Independent Insurance Agent is so vital to finding the right Novi auto insurance. Your agent will get to know your needs and find the right coverage for your vehicle at the best possible price by obtaining multiple quotes from many different insurance agencies. You can then compare and select for yourself and drive with confidence.
It’s important to know your options because Michigan has the most expensive car insurance in the United States. The national average for car insurance in recent years was $1,311, but in Michigan, an average driver spent $2,476. There was $12.8 billion in losses through the state that year, which explains why insurance is so high. There are many things you can do to keep your car insurance affordable, even against this backdrop, if you know what you are buying. Your car insurance is based on your own situation, which includes these factors:
- Your coverage and deductibles - This is the amount of protection you have for any claim.
- Your vehicle - A more expensive car to repair costs more to insure.
- Your ZIP code - How much vandalism has there been in your neighborhood?
- Your age, sex, and marital status - Single males under 25 pay the highest premiums.
- The number of miles you drive - Do you drive into Detroit? Or stay local?
- Your driving record - Are you ticket- and accident-free?
- Your credit history - A credit risk is an insurance risk.
In the event of a crash, the potential for high bills is more than the value of your car in case you are injured. You have to take into account the cost of other damage and medical bills, which are nearly unlimited in potential cost. As expensive as it is, the right coverage is critical to not being stuck in a terrible situation.
Michigan Car Insurance Requirements
State law requires every driver in Michigan to have basic liability insurance. You may choose more coverage, but all insurance policies start with the legal mandate. Your requirements and options are these:
- Bodily Injury Liability: This is required, with a minimum of $20,000 per person covered and a minimum of $40,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: This is also required, with a minimum of $10,000 for any property (primarily other cars) damaged in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is not required, so you may choose to cover any injuries to yourself.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: This is not required in Michigan but important for reasons discussed below.
- Comprehensive: This is not required. This is a policy that includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage of any damage to the car for any reason.
Comprehensive coverage is the right choice for any driver who is totally dependent on having a car every day. It covers you for any damage, including hailstorms and theft. It may even include roadside assistance and rental car coverage while your car is in the shop. If you must never be stuck by the side of the road, a full comprehensive policy is right for you.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Michigan
What makes car insurance so expensive in Michigan? Many drivers opt to have coverage in case they are hit by an uninsured driver, and that costs more. But it’s worth it when you look at the statistics:
- Across the United States, 12.6% of all drivers are uninsured.
- In Michigan, 21.0% of all drivers have no insurance.
If you are in an accident with a driver who has no insurance, your policy has to cover you. With the odds of this happening better than one in five, it’s important to carry insurance to protect not just your car but also any medical bills that result from the accident. Though not required by state law, uninsured motorist coverage is vital for every driver in Novi.
Number of Auto Thefts in Michigan
The other reason why car insurance is so expensive in Michigan is a very high rate of auto theft. You may want to have a comprehensive policy even on an older car just to protect yourself if you become the victim of auto theft. The figures are these:
- Nationally, 2.94 out of every 1,000 cars were stolen in recent years.
- In Michigan, the rate was 3.33 out of every 1,000 cars.
You also can take precautions against theft, such as using your car alarm and always parking somewhere that is well lit or has a lot of people around at all times. The cost of your Novi auto insurance may be lower if you have a garage. Some makes and models are targeted more heavily by thieves, so ask your agent if you have to be especially careful, and notify the agent if you are considering buying a new car.
Find a Great Novi Car Insurance Policy
With all of the choices and requirements for car insurance, it’s hard to find the right policy for your car and your lifestyle on your own. Talk to an Independent Insurance Agent about your options; this will allow the agent to find you the quote that fits your needs and is affordable with your budget.