Pontiac, MI, was named after a war chief who occupied the area long ago. Home to automotive plants, this town was once a booming epicenter for the industry. General Motors put down roots in this small town, making it iconic.
If you own a car in this city of 59,792 residents, you'll need coverage. Fortunately, an independent insurance agent can help with policy and price. Connect with a local adviser in minutes to begin your search for the right coverage.
What Are the Required Auto Limits in Pontiac, MI?
Like worker's compensation insurance, most states require auto coverage to drive. Michigan has its own rules and regulations regarding your car policy. Check out the required auto insurance for Pontiac, MI:
- A minimum liability of $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident/ $10,000 property damage.
If an accident exceeds the amount of coverage you carry, you'll be responsible for the remainder of the loss. To avoid indefinitely garnished wages, consider umbrella insurance. An umbrella policy will protect against larger claims when you're underlying liability limits are exhausted.
Optional Auto Coverages in Pontiac, MI
Primary auto policies usually come standard with liability only. If you need coverage for anything else, you'll have to add it manually. In the meantime, check out some options:
- Gap coverage: Pays for the difference between your remaining loan balance and the market value when a total loss occurs.
- Collision coverage: Pays for property damage to your car in the event of a crash.
- Rental car coverage: Will provide reimbursement for a rental car when your covered auto is damaged.
- Comprehensive coverage: Will pay for property damage to your vehicle if it hits an unavoidable obstruction or is damaged in a non-collision incident like a hailstorm or vandalism.
- Tow coverage: Will pay for a tow truck to tow a covered auto due to a loss.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists or UM/UIM: This coverage will pay for your expenses arising from an accident with an uninsured at-fault driver. Nationally, there are 13.0% uninsured drivers, and 20.3% in Michigan.
It won't matter if you drive a sports car or an RV, you'll want the right auto policy. When a claim arises, it will be too late to add the coverage you need. Review your policies with an expert.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
How Car Insurance Premiums Are Calculated in Pontiac, MI
Carriers review a list of items when calculating your premiums. Some you'll have control over improving, while others you will not. Check out rating factors the insurance companies use below:
- Policy discounts that may apply
- Your claims history
- Your insurance score
- The coverages you choose
- Local crime rates and weather risks
- Your driving record
You can correct specific individual components of your risk factors for a more favorable rate. Local crime and weather are areas that impact your costs but can't be changed. Let's take a peek at the theft rates per 100,000 people:
- National average: 228.90
- Michigan average: 174.60
- Pontiac average: 158.80
One way to save is by bundling your auto and home insurance. When you put all your policies with the same carrier, you save. Most companies discount 30% or more across the board.
You Might Not Have Coverage If You Drive for Uber in Pontiac, MI
Without proper insurance for your Uber or Lyft venture, you will be responsible for any loss on your own. To avoid financial ruin, get the right policy in place. Most personal auto policies will exclude coverage for rideshare and for-hire livery services.
Speak with a professional about commercial vehicle insurance. This policy will help your operations and clients stay protected. Since you're technically running a business, you'll need commercial coverage.
How to Connect with an Independent Agent in Pontiac, MI
When you're trying to find the best auto insurance at an affordable price, work with an adviser. An independent insurance agent can help quote the right policy for a low cost. Since they use multiple markets, you'll have options.
A licensed expert best handles coverage and premiums. Connect with a TrustedChoice professional in minutes. You can use the find-an-agent tool for fast service.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.