Among the suburbs of Detroit, Southfield, MI stands out as a city on its own. From the “Golden Triangle” to the leafy neighborhoods, there is a lot to offer here. With all the great amenities of the metro area close by, there is a lot to do as long as you can get around, which is to say you have to have a car. Driving a car means insuring a car. If you live in Southfield, auto insurance comes with many different options and requirements that can be hard to navigate. Your Independent Insurance Agent can help you find the car insurance that fits your needs at the best cost possible. By shopping around for multiple quotes from many different companies you will be able to compare and find the car insurance for both your lifestyle and your wallet.
Michigan has the highest rates for car insurance in the nation. In recent years, the U.S. average for car insurance was $1,311. In Michigan, it came to a stunning $2,476 for those same years. There were $12.8 billion in losses throughout the state during the same time, which explains why insurance is so high. Despite these daunting figures, there are many things you can do to keep your car insurance affordable. The cost of your policy will be based on the following:
- Your coverage and deductibles - This is your coverage level for any claim.
- Your vehicle - A more expensive car to repair will cost more to insure.
- Your driving habits - How often and how far do you drive? Insurance companies usually take your word for what you tell them.
- Your ZIP code - How much vandalism has there been in your neighborhood?
- Your driving record - Are you accident- and ticket-free?
- Your credit history - A credit risk is considered to be an insurance risk.
- Your age, sex, and marital status - Single males under 25 are the highest risk.
With costs as high as they are, it’s important to understand all of these factors and what you can do to keep the cost of your car insurance down as you drive around Southfield.
Michigan Car Insurance Requirements
Michigan law requires every car and driver to have basic liability insurance. You may choose to have more coverage, but all insurance policies start with the state laws. The kinds of insurance you can select are listed below:
- Bodily Injury Liability: This is required, with a minimum of $20,000 per person covered and a minimum of $40,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: This is also required, with a minimum of $10,000 for any property (primarily other cars) damaged in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is not required, but you may choose to cover any injuries to yourself.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: This is not required in Michigan but is important for reasons discussed below.
- Comprehensive: This is not required. This is a policy that includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage of any damage to the car for any reason.
Comprehensive insurance is commonly chosen by anyone with a new car that they rely on and want to keep looking its best. This covers everything, including damage from vandalism and theft. Some policies include rental car coverage when your car is in the shop and towing to get you there. If you need a car every day to get around in Southfield, you may choose this coverage so that you are never left by the side of the road.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Michigan
Uninsured motorist coverage is not required by law in Michigan but a very good idea to have. Michigan has a very high rate of uninsured drivers. The statistics from recent years show it plainly:
- Nationally, 12.6% of all drivers are uninsured.
- In Michigan, 21.0% of all drivers have no insurance.
More than one in five drivers are not covered, even though state law requires insurance. If you are hit by a driver who has no insurance, you have to sue them in court to recover any losses you realize, such as damage to your car or your medical bills. That’s all taken care of with an uninsured driver policy, which many people in Southfield elect to have. It’s a good idea given how many uninsured drivers there are on the road.
Number of Auto Thefts in Michigan
Uninsured drivers aren’t the only thing that makes insurance expensive in Michigan. There is also a higher-than-average rate of car theft. This is the data from recent years:
- Across the U.S., 2.94 out of every 1,000 cars are stolen each year.
- In Michigan, the rate was 3.33 out of every 1,000 cars.
The risk of theft is high in Michigan, which is why many drivers select comprehensive coverage – even on older cars. Any driver who doesn’t have this coverage is personally taking on the risk of theft. If you don’t want to have to buy a new car if yours is stolen, you may want to consider comprehensive coverage despite the higher cost.
Find a Great Southfield Car Insurance Policy
As great as life is in Southfield, you need a car to be able to get around and enjoy it. There are many options for you, and finding the right insurance for your lifestyle and your budget can be a challenge. Talk to your Independent Agent today. Your agent can point you to the right insurance for your needs and get you the quote for your car at a cost you can afford.