The Downriver community of Allen Park, MI is home to nearly 30,000 people. This city offers residents a low crime rate, affordable housing, and a strong sense of community. If you are among the proud property owners in this Detroit suburb, you can protect your investment with a solid homeowners insurance policy.
Independent insurance agents can help you find the best and most affordable insurance coverage for your Allen Park home. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more, and you can soon start comparing customized quotes from a variety of top-rated insurers.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Allen Park, MI?
The average cost for coverage in Michigan is lower than the national average. And in Allen Park, where there is an abundance of affordable housing, the average cost of home insurance rates is even lower.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Michigan average yearly premium: $942
- Allen Park, MI average yearly premium: $624
Homeowners insurance costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis according to a number of different factors such as:
- The size, age, and value of your home
- The type of house you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached home, multi-family home, condominium, manufactured home, vacation home, etc.)
- The number of stories in your home and whether it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like car insurance or life insurance
Comparing quotes enables you to choose the homeowners policy that offers you the coverage you want at the most competitive price. Independent insurance agents in Allen Park make comparison shopping easy.
Does Allen Park Homeowners Insurance Cover against Catastrophic Events?
Your homeowners insurance policy is designed to cover you against most of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Allen Park. This includes a wide range of damaging events including tornadoes, severe storms, hail, strong winds, heavy snows, and freezing temperatures.
Fortunately, all of these risks are covered by most homeowners insurance policies.
Catastrophic events in Michigan
- Number of federally declared disasters in Michigan: 42
- Most common causes of disasters in the state: Floods, severe storms, and tornadoes
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Michigan: 16
- Avg. amount of property damage per year in MI: $897 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
The risk of tornado activity in Allen Park is 37% greater than the national average rate. While area tornadoes generally take place outside the city limits, Allen Park did experience a direct hit in 1956 when an F4 twister touched down about a half-mile from the city center.
Disasters like tornadoes and accidental fires can cause significant destruction. You will therefore want to be sure that your dwelling (structural) and contents (personal property) coverage limits are high enough to enable you to rebuild and replace in the event of a disaster.
What about Coverage against Floods in Allen Park?
It is important to be aware that although homeowners insurance will cover damage caused by water coming into your house through your roof or windows, it will not cover flood damage or overflow events.
In the spring of 2019 heavy rains brought flash flooding to several Downriver communities, including Allen Park. Many residents of this city reported several inches of water in their basement.
Flood damage can be especially expensive. According to FEMA estimates, just one inch of rainwater in your home can lead to as much as $25,000 in property damage. Fortunately, an independent insurance agent can help you secure coverage through an affordable flood insurance policy.
Flood insurance, which can be purchased through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), can provide homeowners with up to $250,000 in structural coverage and $100,000 in contents coverage.
Flood insurance takes 30 days to go into effect, so do not wait until heavy rains are imminent to purchase a policy. Talk to a local independent insurance agent to learn more about this important coverage.
Why Do Allen Park Homeowners Need Liability Insurance?
Liability lawsuits can happen to anyone. And when they do, they can be very expensive. Fortunately, all home insurance policies include personal liability coverage.
Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover the various expenses that you may accrue if you are unintentionally responsible for injuries or property damage to others. Some examples of situations in which this liability coverage can protect you include:
- A visitor to your home slips on an icy walkway and suffers a serious back injury.
- You accidentally cause significant injuries to someone during a friendly game of inline hockey at Champaign Park.
- Your children accidentally hit a baseball through your neighbor’s picture window while playing in your backyard.
- Your dog gets loose and bites a jogger.
- Someone sues you for libel or slander.
Home insurance companies typically offer between $100,000 and $500,000 in personal liability coverage. If you wish to have even more liability coverage, your local insurance agent can also help you find a suitable umbrella insurance policy. Umbrella insurance is an affordable way to boost all of your liability coverage.
Does Allen Park Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglaries?
The burglary rate in Michigan is lower than the national average, and in Allen Park, the rate is even lower. This is not to say that the risk does not exist. Residents of this city report about 50 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Michigan: 3.17
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Allen Park: 1.70
Being the victim of a property crime can be traumatic. However, you may take some comfort in knowing if your house is burglarized, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for your losses as well as for any resulting property damage.
You can lower your risk of being targeted by thieves by taking precautions such as ensuring that the locks on all doors and windows are secure, keeping your home’s entryways well-lit and unobstructed, and stopping mail delivery and putting lights on timers while you are away.
Burglar alarms are the most effective theft deterrents. That is why many homeowners insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have installed home security systems in their houses. Learn more about this and other potential discounts by speaking with a local insurance agent.
What about Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance?
Perhaps you own a vacation house that you can retreat to during the cold Michigan winters. Or maybe you have invested in a property nearby that you rent out for some extra income.
Regardless of their purpose, if you own more than one home, you will need to cover each of your properties with an appropriate home insurance policy.
Houses that are not your primary residence will have additional risk factors that insurance companies will take into consideration. This means that you may be required to purchase specialized home insurance products.
- Vacation homes that are left unoccupied for several months out of the year have an increased risk of break-ins and sustaining significant property damage. Your insurer may require you to carry vacant home insurance whenever the house is not in use.
- Rental homes have lower contents coverage needs, but higher liability and property damage risks. These properties require the specialized coverage provided by landlord insurance, which may be required by your insurer if the home is occupied by tenants.
An independent insurance agent can help you review the coverage needs of all your residential properties and can help you find the best and most affordable policies to insure each of them.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Allen Park, MI?
The easiest way to find the best home insurance policy is by working with an independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for a specific insurer, so you can be sure that you are getting trustworthy guidance as you shop for the best coverage for your Allen Park home.
Local agents live and work in your community, so they understand the concerns you have as a homeowner in Allen Park. Contact an insurance agent near you to get more information and to start comparing a selection of customized homeowners insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.