Burton Homeowners Insurance
Let an independent insurance agent help you find the best and most affordable coverage.
The City of Burton is home to about 30,000 people. Many are attracted to this Flint suburb because of its affordable housing, convenient location, and many parks and recreational facilities. If you have purchased a house in Burton, you can protect your investment by covering it with a reliable homeowners insurance policy.
Independent insurance agents in Burton can help you obtain and compare a selection of customized quotes so that you can find the homeowners insurance policy that best meets your coverage and budgetary needs. Find an insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Burton, MI?
To get an idea of how much a policy will cost you, let’s look at some average rates:
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Michigan average yearly premium: $942
- Burton average yearly premium: $699
The average homeowners insurance rate in Michigan is lower than the national average, but in Burton, where there is an abundance of affordable housing, rates tend to be much lower. This is great news for area homeowners who are looking for an inexpensive policy.
Of course, your quoted costs are likely to vary from these figures because home insurance rates are based on several factors such as:
- The age, size, and value, of your house
- The type of house you are covering (e.g., single-family detached, manufactured home, condominium, vacation house, etc.)
- The number of stories your house has, and whether it has a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- The amount of property coverage you want to purchase
- Your claims history and credit score
- The size of your deductible
If you bundle your home insurance with other policies such as car insurance or life insurance, you can usually get all of your bundled policies at discounted rates. An independent agent in Burton can help you find the best home insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs.
Burton Homeowners Insurance Covers Your Property
Homeowners insurance is designed to cover loss or damage to the structure of your home (dwelling insurance) as well as to the personal property you keep inside it (contents insurance). It can also cover the cost of temporary housing if your house is rendered uninhabitable by a covered event.
Catastrophic events in Michigan
- Number of federally declared disasters in Michigan: 42
- Most common causes of disasters in the state: Floods, severe storms, and tornadoes
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Michigan: 16
- Average amount of property damage per year in MI: $897 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
The Burton area has a 48% greater chance of tornado activity than the national average. One of the worst this city has seen was an F4 twister that touched down in Burton in 1956, causing millions of dollars in damage.
You will want to be sure that your coverage limits are high enough to allow you to fully rebuild, repair, or replace all of your property if your home is severely damaged by a catastrophic event like a tornado or an accidental fire.
Other risks covered by your homeowners insurance include property crimes, windstorms, electrical storms, hail, heavy snow, and freezing temperatures. Extremely cold temperatures can cause water pipes to burst, particularly if you are experiencing a power outage and are unable to heat your home, and this can lead to very expensive damage.
A word about flood damage in Burton
Be aware that home insurance does not cover against flood damage. This is true even if the flooding is the direct result of a covered storm. Fortunately, you can get coverage through flood insurance.
Homeowners with properties near waterways like Thread Creek, Gilkey Creek, or Kearsley Creek are most at risk for flooding, but when winter snows melt and heavy rains fall, drainage systems can become overwhelmed, and flash flooding can occur just about anywhere in this city.
If your house is in a FEMA-designated flood zone, you will be required by your mortgage company to carry flood insurance until your loan is paid in full. Otherwise, flood insurance is optional. However, flood damage can be very expensive, so a flood insurance policy may be a good investment.
A local independent insurance agent can help you evaluate your flood risk. If you believe that flood insurance is a good idea, your agent can help you secure an affordable policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Why Do Homeowners in Burton Need Liability Insurance?
Homeowners insurance does more than just cover your property. It also provides a significant amount of personal liability coverage.
Homeowners liability insurance is designed to absorb expenses like court costs, legal fees, and damages if you or someone in your household is unintentionally responsible for injuries, financial losses, or property damage to others. Examples of times that you may need to use this liability insurance include if:
- A visitor to your home slips on an icy walkway and suffers a serious head injury.
- Your child accidentally causes serious injuries to someone else while bike riding at Kelly Lake Park.
- Your dog gets loose and bites a delivery person.
- You find yourself accused of libel or slander.
Most homeowners insurance policies offer between $100,000 and $500,000 in personal liability coverage. If you want to have even more liability coverage than your home insurance policy can provide, an independent agent can also help you secure an affordable umbrella insurance policy.
Homeowners Insurance Covers against Property Crimes in Burton
The burglary rate in Michigan is lower than the national average. However, in Burton, the risk is higher. There are more than 100 burglaries reported in this city every year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Michigan: 3.17
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Burton: 4.71
Of the many preventive measures you can take to lower your risk of being targeted by burglars, installing a home security system is among the most effective. That is why many insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who use them.
If your house is broken into, you may find it comforting to know that your homeowners insurance can provide you with compensation for your losses. Be sure to contact the authorities, because you will need a copy of the police report when you file your claim.
Your local insurance agent can help you review your policy’s contents coverage to ensure that your most valuable belongings are fully covered.
What about Insurance for Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
If you are among the Burton residents who own more than one house, your extra property will most likely have additional risk factors that insurance companies will take into consideration when they calculate your rates.
Depending on certain details about your second home, you may need to purchase specialized home insurance coverage. Consider the following examples:
- Let’s say you own a multi-family house nearby in Flint that you rent out to young families. Your liability and property damage risks for this house will be higher than they are for your primary residence. Landlord insurance offers the right blend of coverage for these properties and may be required by your insurance company if the home is occupied by tenants.
- Or, let’s say you own a cabin near the lake that you and your family use for weekend getaways. Properties like these are frequently left vacant and unattended for several months out of the year. In this case, your insurance provider is likely to require you to carry vacant home insurance during the times that the property is not in use.
A local insurance agent can help you review the coverage needs of any extra residential properties you may own and can help you find the best home insurance coverage to cover them.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Burton, MI?
Independent insurance agents can help you find the best and most affordable homeowners insurance policy for your Burton property. These local agents are available to answer your insurance-related questions and to help you be sure that your property is sufficiently covered.
Contact an insurance agent with an office near you to learn more. You will soon discover how easy it can be to review customized, competitively priced quotes from a variety of top-rated homeowners insurance providers.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.