Lee's Summit, MO, is known for its family-friendly community and prestigious roots. Only being a short drive to Kansas City, Lee's Summit is a perfect place to own a home.
If you are among the 97,290 residents who live in this mini-metropolis, you may need home insurance. A local independent insurance agent can get you coverage within your budget. Connect with an agent on TrustedChoice.com to get started.
Do Property Crimes Affect Your Lee's Summit, MO, Home Insurance?
The local crime rate impacts your insurance premiums. Whether you live in a safe town or not will help the carriers determine how much of a price you'll pay. Let's look at the numbers:
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 households in the US: 376
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 households in MO: 444.9
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 households in Lee's Summit: 211.9
Lee's Summit comes in lower than both the state and national averages, which bodes well for your insurance costs. If you're a victim of a home burglary, your insurance will respond in the following ways:
- Replace or repair any damaged or stolen property
- Pay for medical expenses if there are any injuries
- Pay for additional living expenses if your home needs to be repaired or is unlivable for a while
Contact your Lee's Summit independent agent to see how the local crime rates affect your home premium.
How Catastrophic Events Affect Your Lee's Summit Home Policy
Your Lee's Summit home policy needs to have coverage for all the significant exposures. If you are unsure what your insurance protects, find out before a claim occurs. Let's look at the facts for Missouri:
- The average number of tornadoes per year: 45
- The most common natural disaster: Severe storms
- The number of federally declared catastrophes since 1953: 68
Severe weather, fire, and theft are some of the immediate perils that your home insurance should insure.
The five most common property risks in Lee's Summit, MO:
#1 - Floods
#2 - Storms
#3 - Tornadoes
#4 - Winter storms
#5 - Drought
Flood insurance for your Lee's Summit home:
Most homeowners are not aware that their home insurance policy excludes flooding. You'll need a separate insurance policy to have the protection you need. Four easy steps to getting a flood quote:
1.) Connect with an independent agent.
2.) Determine your property's flood zone with your agent.
3) Quote FEMA-approved flood insurance.
4.) Purchase the best option.
Your Lee's Summit independent agent can help you find the flood policy that fits your budget. Connect with one today.
Liability Insurance for Your Lee's Summit Home
When you are sued, the last thing you want to think about is how your home insurance will respond. Your homeowners liability insurance will cover the following:
- Injury to another person
- Slander or bullying caused by a household member
- A pet bite causing harm to another person
- Damage to another party's property
Your mortgage company will also require proof of liability insurance each year. When your primary home policy doesn't have enough coverage, an umbrella policy can apply. Umbrella insurance will give an additional limit of liability that goes above and beyond your home policy. This is for larger claims that exhausted your underlying limits. Call your local independent agent to discuss coverage options.
The Cost to Insure Your Lee's Summit, MO, Home
Home insurance costs are individualized and customized to you and your specifications. When you're comparing rates, it's essential to know that not all policies are alike. Take a look at home insurance rating factors used by the carriers:
- Crime rates
- Your claims history
- Coverage selected
- Year, construction type, and square footage of your home
- The replacement cost of your home
- Your insurance score
- Discounts that may apply
When you're unsure what premiums should look like, it's good to know the averages. The numbers below will help show where your rates stand:
- National average: $2,305
- Missouri average: $3,111
Missouri is unfortunately in the top ten most expensive home insurance costs. Your rates could be above or below the averages. Discuss premiums with your independent agent to know what your exact pricing will be.
How to Insure Your Lee's Summit Rental Property
Homeowners insurance looks a bit different for a rental property. If you own a long-term or short-term rental, you'll want coverage for your interest. A primary home policy will usually be less expensive than your rental property insurance, so keep that in mind. The risks involved with owning a rental are more than your home you occupy.
Home insurance policy types:
- Landlord insurance: Whether it's an Airbnb or a long-term rental, you'll want coverage for your interests as well as the structure. A landlord policy will provide this insurance.
- Seasonal home insurance: For those vacation homes that you only occupy a few weeks out of the year, seasonal home coverage is key.
Go over the different coverage types with your Lee's Summit agent and make sure your investment is insured.
An Independent Insurance Agent in Lee's Summit, MO
A local independent insurance agent can save you time and money by comparing coverage for you. They know the homeowner insurance market in Lee's Summit and can find a policy within your budget.
To get the perfect agent for your home insurance needs, connect on TrustedChoice.com. They have a find-an-agent tool that will match you in minutes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Candace Jenkins
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.