In 2019, South Dakota had $2,227,477,000 in commercial insurance claims paid. When you run a business, there are several coverages that you'll need to be adequately insured. Cyber liability insurance is one policy you'll want to have.
An independent insurance agent can help with coverage and premium options. They have a network of carriers so that you get a policy to fit your budget. Connect with a local expert for custom quotes today.
What Is Cyber Liability Insurance?
In South Dakota, businesses are faced with cyber threats all the time. Your sensitive client and employee data are at risk of being stolen for a ransom or worse. Take a look at how cyber liability insurance works.
- Cyber liability insurance: Pays for your legal, defense, and settlement costs when the sensitive employee or client data is compromised virtually. It will also pay for notification expenses to the public and customers when a cyberattack occurs.
Cyber Liability Insurance Cost
Costs of commercial insurance vary by industry exposures and more. Insurance companies will use several risk factors when rating your cyber liability insurance. Take a look at what carriers use to determine premiums.
- Gross annual income
- Cyber protection plans in place
- Updating of software
- Type of data stored
- Access points to data
- Malware used
- Prior claims
Who Needs Cyber Liability Insurance?
Every small, medium and large sized business owner in South Dakota should have cyber liability insurance. This policy will protect your day-to-day operations online from a cyberattack. Take a look at where cyber liability insurance is most helpful.
- If you own a business
- If you own a small business
- If you own a large business
- If you use email
- If you have internet
- If you utilize software
- If you utilize computers
- If you obtain employee data electronically
- If you obtain client data electronically
Cyber Liability and Data Breach Insurance
South Dakota data breach coverage is one of two components of your cyber liability policy. The second is cyber liability coverage. Each limit type will insure a different part of a claim. Take a look at how it works.
When data breach coverage applies
Data breach insurance will apply when you have a breach of data, and you need to restore what was compromised. Coverage can be in the form of alerting the public of breach, fraud alert, identity restoration, consulting services, and more. This coverage is utilized first in the claims process.
When cyber liability insurance applies
Next, cyber liability insurance would apply when an employee, client, or member of the public files a lawsuit. The lawsuit is due to the data breach that occurred and any sensitive information that may have been stolen. Cyber liability will pay for defense and settlement costs of a loss.
Cyber Liability Insurance for Law Firms
Cyber liability insurance is especially important for a South Dakota law firm. Since your job consists of housing sensitive client and employee data, you'll want to be protected from any online predators. Check out what it will help your law firm pay for.
- Attorney fees
- Defense fees
- Settlement fees
- Informing the public
- Informing your clients
Cyber Liability Insurance for Small Businesses
In South Dakota, there are roughly 86,550 small businesses in operation. When you own a company, you have to be aware of all that could go wrong and obtain protection for the what-ifs. Here are some reasons why you'll need cyber liability insurance if you're a small business.
- You may not have the cash flow to pay out of pocket
- Legal fees could wipe out your reserves
- There could be multiple lawsuits filed against you for one instance
- Informing the public can cost additional funds you don't have
- It will keep your business operational during a lengthy legal battle
- It can help restore your stolen data
Cyber Liability Insurance for Technology Companies
Your South Dakota technology company will need specific coverages like professional liability, general liability, and cyber liability. Since you'll be handling sensitive client data daily, you've become a target for a cyberattack. Check out why cyber liability insurance is essential for a technology company.
- It will pay for your legal fees if a lawsuit arises from a data breach.
- If your client gets hacked due to a system you implemented, this coverage, along with your other insurance policies, may respond.
- When you're dealing with other people's sensitive data, your company may be a target to online predators.
How to Connect with a South Dakota Independent Agent
In South Dakota, every business will need to decide how much risk they want to take on themselves and how much they wish to transfer to the insurance company. Every loss could put you into significant financial ruin if you're not adequately insured. Cyber liability coverage is missed sometimes but is an essential policy in this day and age.
An independent insurance agent can help find coverage that fits your needs and your budget. Since they work with several carriers, you'll have options on policy and price. Get connected with a local expert on TrustedChoice.com in minutes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.