South Dakota boasts some of the most beautiful lakes in the U.S. You need PWC insurance to cover financial risks, whether you ride on Big Stone Lake or Lewis and Clark. Quotes on a PWC insurance policy are highly customizable, so, if you like, you can get only the coverage you need at a price that fits your budget. That way, you and your family can enjoy your PWC on South Dakota waters with complete peace of mind.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
PWC Regulations in South Dakota
- Like full-size boats, PWCs in SD require licensing and numbering.
- No one under the age of 14 may operate a PWC without an adult on board, except in an emergency.
- Everyone on board the PWC must wear an approved life vest.
- PWCs require navigation lights when running after dark.
- The PWC operator must attach the engine cutoff lanyard, if provided, to the operator’s vest.
- Operators may not chase wildlife while operating a PWC.
If you plan to allow minors to use the PWC, the state recommends a boating safety course for the minors. Always ensure adult supervision, and remind young operators to pass swimmers at no-wake speeds.
Types of PWCs Eligible for Coverage
You can get PWC insurance quotes on just about any personal watercraft available. Here are a few of the most popular types:
- Stand up PWC: You can use this quick and agile watercraft in a standing or sitting position. Because of the extra risks posed by standing at high speeds, it's a good idea to get medical payments coverage in case of injury to the rider.
- Sit down PWC: This type of PWC is a little more stable than the stand-up variety. Its horsepower and speed can make for expensive accidents, however, so you may need to look into collision coverage.
- Submersible PWC: This type of PWC has the ability to dive under the surface briefly and jump out of the water, dolphin-style. The added drowning risk can mean slightly higher rates on coverage, but that also makes having a good policy more important.
- Multi-person PWC: This big PWC type comes in up to a four-person PWC model. Make sure to add PWC liability coverage to your policy in case one of your guests or another rider is hurt in an accident.
If you aren't sure what kind of coverage you need to include in your PWC insurance policy, you can often get help from a local agent.
Who Needs PWC Insurance in South Dakota?
South Dakota does not mandate boating insurance; this applies to personal watercraft, also. However, PWC insurance is usually a financially responsible choice. If another person gets injured or suffers property damage because of your PWC use, you could stand to lose much more than just your PWC in a court settlement. In addition, you face the possible expenses of medical payments for family members injured on the water, pollution cleanup if you have a fuel spill and repairs to your PWC if you collide with an object. With the right PWC policy, you can ensure that you have protection against the unexpected while you have fun on the water.
What Does PWC Insurance Cover?
PWC insurance is specialized boating coverage, designed to cover the unique ways people use their PWCs. Your policy can include some or all of the following coverage:
- Watersport liability: This includes bodily injury and property damage coverage. If you cause an accident while towing a skier or going for a ride, this coverage can help with the cost of your legal defense and court settlement, up to the limits on your policy. This can prevent the loss of your savings, assets and future earnings in the case of a lawsuit. To extend and broaden this liability coverage, you may want to get an umbrella policy.
- Medical payments: This can help with hospital bills if someone in your family sustains injuries while on the PWC.
- Uninsured boater: If someone else collides with your PWC and that person lacks the coverage to pay your medical expenses and repair costs, this coverage can take care of a portion of the costs for you.
- Pollution/Wreckage cleanup: If you spill fuel on the water or lose your PWC in a collision on the lake, you must pay for the cleanup and recovery. This coverage can help with the cost.
- Accessory: If you have installed extra features and equipment on your PWC, this can cover those items.
The amounts and types of coverage you need vary based on where and how you use your PWC. You can tailor your policy to fit your needs and budget.
Getting PWC Insurance Quotes
There are independent agents right here in South Dakota who can help you find the PWC policy you need at a price you can afford. Independent agents work with many different insurance companies, so they can shop around to find you the best rate possible. A local agent can also help you figure out how much coverage is right for you and take into account the unique way you use your PWCs.
Contact an agent in your neighborhood for personalized PWC insurance quotes and great service.