Drivers in Huntington need certain types of auto insurance to protect their investment in their vehicles and to follow state laws. The weather isn't always ideal in West Virginia, so even the most careful drivers could find themselves in the midst of an auto insurance claim. Whether you are involved in a small fender bender or a multi-vehicle accident resulting in a total loss, having the right auto insurance can make the situation less stressful.
When you work with an independent insurance agent in Huntington, you'll get individualized support, help to make decisions about your policy coverages, and multiple insurance quotes from a variety of carriers. Reach out to an agent today to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Huntington, WV?
Residents of West Virginia pay just a bit more, on average, for auto insurance than drivers across the country. Shopping around for the best rates is an important part of finding the auto insurance you need.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- West Virginia average annual car insurance cost: $1,378
Your agent can get you a few quotes from trustworthy insurance companies. You'll notice that the rates may vary from the national and state averages. Premiums vary from one company to the next as well. Each insurance company has its own way of calculating premiums. Your rates may be based on the following criteria:
- The make, model, and year of every vehicle you are insuring
- Your age, gender, occupation, and marital status
- Your driving record and credit score
- Information about other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of your deductible
- The amount of liability insurance you are purchasing
- The coverage options you are including in your policy
If you decide to bundle your renters insurance or home insurance with your auto insurance policy, you may be eligible for discounts on all of your premiums. Drivers with a spotless driving record and students who get good grades may also be eligible for discounts with some insurers.
A Huntington agent can help you compare rates. They can talk with you about how to compare insurance companies and make sure that you get the coverage you need.
What Does Huntington Car Insurance Cover?
You can choose to add optional coverages to your auto insurance policy. In West Virginia, there are some types and amounts of insurance you must carry. These minimum requirements include liability and personal injury protection insurance, as well as uninsured motorist insurance.
If you have a lease or loan, your lender may also impose minimum insurance requirements. You may be required to carry collision and comprehensive insurance for your car.
You can expect your insurance provider to offer the following types of coverage:
- Liability insurance: (Required) This policy covers damage to other peoples' property and injuries sustained in an accident:
- Bodily injury liability coverage: At least $25,000 per person and $40,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage: At least $10,000 per accident.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): (Optional) This policy pays for medical expenses resulting from a covered accident.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: (Required) This pays for your injuries and damage to your vehicle if you are in an accident with a driver that doesn't have insurance.
- Collision insurance: (Partially optional) This pays to replace or repair your car if you are in an accident involving a crash with another car or an object.
- Comprehensive insurance: (Partially optional) This pays to replace or repair your car if it's damaged or lost in a flood or fire. It also pays for damage due to flooding, theft, and falling objects.
- Roadside assistance and towing: (Optional) This pays for the assistance you need to get back on the road if you lock your keys out of the car, get a flat tire, or run out of gas.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: (Optional) This pays to rent a car if your vehicle requires repairs after a covered accident.
Your agent can help you understand your options. They'll also assist you when it's time to decide how much insurance coverage to purchase for your vehicle.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Huntington?
Driving without insurance is illegal in West Virginia. If caught, uninsured drivers can face the following:
- Fines of $200 to $5,000
- Imprisonment of 15 days to 1 year
- Suspension of licensure
There are fewer uninsured drivers in West Virginia than in the rest of the country, but it's still crucial to consider uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13%
- Percentage of West Virginia drivers who are uninsured: 10.1%
If you are in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist, you may be responsible for the damage to your vehicle and your own medical bills, even if the incident wasn't your fault. With uninsured motorist coverage, you'll have the coverage you need without having to take the other driver to court or deal with the hassle of a lawsuit.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Huntington?
You are less likely to get your car stolen in West Virginia than you are in many other places in the country. Even so, it's important to consider the risk and purchase the right kind of auto insurance to protect your vehicle.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.37%
- West Virginia auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.37%
You'll only be reimbursed for the value of your stolen vehicle if you have comprehensive auto insurance. This optional coverage also fixes or replaces your car for a range of other non-collision events, including flood damage, fallen trees, hail damage, and fire.
If you have a lease or loan, your bank or dealership may require you to carry comprehensive insurance. If you don't already have it, talk with your agent about how adding this important coverage may change your premium.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Huntington, WV?
An independent insurance agent in Huntington can help you get the auto insurance coverage you need at the best possible price. They can answer your insurance-related questions, get multiple personalized quotes, and make sure you have enough coverage to stay compliant with West Virginia laws.
Contact an independent insurance agent in Huntington today to get started.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.