The appeal of renting in West Virginia is being able to forego worrying about burst pipes, mowing the lawn, or fixing structural or mechanical problems. But being a renter doesn’t absolve you from all of the things that can go wrong in your rental property.
Whether you live in a rural community or one of the state’s thriving cities or towns, if you are among the many renters in West Virginia, you can benefit from purchasing an affordable renters insurance policy.
Local independent insurance agents can help you find the best renters insurance in West Virginia. These agents work for you, not for an insurance company, so they are free to shop around to find multiple renters insurance quotes in West Virginia.
West Virginia Rental Statistics
- West Virginia residents pay an average of $725 per month in rent.
- An estimated 26.8% percent of all homes in West Virginia are occupied by renters.
- Around 36.3% of renters in this state spend 30% or more of their income on rent and utilities.
Is Renters Insurance Required in West Virginia?
Renters insurance is not required in West Virginia. But that does not mean that you should overlook its importance if you’re a renter.
Renters insurance policies provide a wide range of coverage that can insure your property and protect your finances. It makes sense to purchase this affordable coverage to make sure that you don’t face a greater financial loss if you experience a fire, a burglary, or some other type of event that damages your personal property.
How Much Does Renters Insurance Cost in West Virginia?
You’re already spending a significant portion of your income on housing costs. You might think that it’s okay to forego renters insurance in order to save a little money. But did you know that renters insurance in West Virginia is very affordable?
The average cost of renters insurance in West Virginia is just $188 per year. That is less than $16 a month.
Of course, not everyone will pay the same for their renters insurance policy. Your rates may be higher or lower than average depending on a few factors, such as:
- The amount of personal property coverage you need
- The crime rate and weather risks in your area
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your renters insurance with another policy like car insurance
Independent insurance agents make comparison shopping easy. They can obtain quotes from multiple insurance companies, and ensure that you’re getting your policy at a competitive price.
Ready to Save on Renters Insurance?
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Does Renters Insurance Cover in West Virginia?
Renters insurance is designed to reimburse you when your personal property is lost or damaged by certain unexpected events. It also covers you in certain cases when you’re sued for negligence.
- Personal property coverage: Covers repair or replacement costs if your personal belongings are lost or damaged due to a covered event such as:
- Property crimes like burglary and vandalism
- Fires, including wildfires and accidental fires, whether they originated in your own home or a neighboring unit
- Severe weather events like thunderstorms, tropical storms, windstorms, and tornadoes
- Personal liability coverage: Covers your financial obligations and legal costs if you accidentally cause injuries, property damage, or financial harm to others
- Loss of use coverage: Pays for your temporary living expenses if a covered event like a tornado causes severe damage to your home, and you must seek alternate accommodations while your landlord makes repairs
When you add up the estimated value of everything you own, including furniture, clothes, electronics, and jewelry, you may be surprised by the total value of your personal property. If you didn’t have renters insurance coverage, would you be able to afford to repair or replace it if you had a total loss? Even if you had a fire that was contained to your kitchen, could you afford to live elsewhere while repairs were made?
Looking at it that way, investing in renters insurance is a pretty simple choice. It can help you avoid financial loss when you need it most.
Who Are the Best Renters Insurance Companies in West Virginia?
It can be simple to find the best renters insurance companies in West Virginia. A local independent insurance agent can help you get renters insurance quotes from multiple insurance companies, so you can select the best policy for your needs and budget.
How Can an Independent Insurance Agent Help Me Find Renters Insurance Quotes in West Virginia?
Instead of getting an online quote, find an independent insurance agent now, and get a one-on-one consultation and affordable options for the best coverage for your unique needs. Your agent will work with you free of charge, offering you a variety of options so you can make the best choice.
What’s more, your agent will be there for you when claim time comes. They know the ins and outs of the process and will make sure your claim is handled appropriately.
Contact an agent today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.