With thousands of miles of scenic highway, Alaska provides unmatched magestic views for any motorcycle enthusiast. This is perhaps why the state has experienced significant increases in the number of motorcycle riders in the past few decades. Prior to hitting the road on your bike, finding an insurance policy that can protect you and your ride is vital.
Before you search for motorcycle insurance quotes, however, there are several factors to consider.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- Between 2008 and 2012, 43 motorcycle riders were killed on Alaska streets and highways.
- Only 16 of those killed were not wearing helmets.
- The large number of motorcycle crashes has placed a considerable burden on our nation’s health care system affecting the economy, reaching $230.6 billion a year, an average of $820 for every person living in the United States.
- Accidents involving motorcycles are at a significantly higher risk of causing injuries and fatalities than those involving passenger vehicles.
Why Is Motorcycle Insurance Important?
As the statistics indicate, motorcycle accidents can be very costly, in terms of both monetary value and life. Even a minor accident can cause major injury. Obtaining motorcycle insurance can help pay for the rider's medical treatment. Because many parts of a motorcycle are exposed, it is also possible to cause extensive damage to your bike, even at low speeds. A motorcycle insurance policy can mean the difference between making swift repairs and waiting while you can afford to have your bike looked at by a mechanic.
Am I Required to Carry Motorcycle Insurance in Alaska?
Alaska state law may have more exemptions to its mandatory liability insurance requirements than any other state, but in many cities and towns, it is necessary to carry minimum standards in motorcycle insurance, which includes:
- $50,000 liability coverage for bodily injury;
- $100,000 for death; and
- $25,000 for property damage
Failure to have the proper insurance may result in a suspension of a driver's license. Insurance is not required in areas where registration is not required, and that list of Alaska municipalities is quite extensive. Be sure to check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles to find out if you are required to carry motorcycle insurance.
No matter where you are located within the state, however, a rider who has received a ticket for a violation of six points or more within the last five years must have liability insurance.
Also keep in mind that you may need more coverage then the state's minimum standards.
Can I Find Motorcycle Insurance for My Particular Bike?
Motorcycles come in various shapes and sizes, and you aren't wrong to wonder if your particular make and model is insurable. If you are able to register your motorcycle with your local Department of Motor Vehicles, chances are there is an Alaska insurance company that has a policy that meets your needs. The most common types of motorcycles insured in Alaska include:
- Standard bikes
- Sport bikes (or "crotch rockets")
- Touring bikes
- Sport touring bikes
- Dual-sport bikes
What Does Motorcycle Insurance Cover in AK?
Most Alaska insurance companies will offer you a variety of coverage options from which to choose as you build your motorcycle insurance policy, including:
- Liability coverage: This can help pay for the medical treatment for another person should you injure them, or help pay for any property damage you may cause as a result of operating your bike. This coverage option can also help you pay for legal fees and court costs should you face a lawsuit stemming from an incident with your motorcycle.
- Collision coverage: This can help pay for repairs to your bike should you become involved in an accident, regardless of who is at fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: This can help pay for repairs to or replacement of your motorcycle if it is damaged or totaled by fire, severe weather, theft, vandalism or any other covered event.
What Will My Motorcycle Insurance Quote Look Like?
As no two riders and their bikes are exactly alike, neither are any two motorcycle insurance quotes. The majority of Alaska insurance providers will take several factors into consideration as they calculate your insurance premium quote, including:
- Your age: Younger, less experienced riders will see higher quotes than older, more veteran motorcycle riders.
- Your bike: A newer, more valuable and faster bike will see higher quotes than an older, slower model.
- How you use it: If you use your motorcycle on your daily commute, you will see higher quotes than someone who takes their bike out for a spin on the weekends.
- How you store it: You will see lower quotes if you keep your bike in a locked garage than if you use street parking, as motorcycles are easy to steal.
Some Alaska insurance companies will offer discounts for riders who take motorcycle safety courses and for those who bundle their motorcycle policy with their car insurance. Be sure to speak with a qualified agent who can advocate for these discounts on your behalf.
Where Can I Find Motorcycle Insurance in AK?
The last thing you want ruining your sweet Alaska ride on your cherry bike is whether or not you can afford an accident. Only a motorcycle insurance policy can give you the peace of mind to concentrate on the beauty unfolding before you.
Knowledgeable, independent insurance agents in the Trusted Choice network are always available to answer your questions, suggest coverage options best suited for you and your bike, and even assist you in filing a claim. These agents have years of experience working with Alaska insurance companies, enabling them to find you a number of quotes with only the best coverage options at the most affordable rates. Contact a Trusted Choice member agent near you to find out how you can obtain the perfect motorcycle insurance policy that meets your needs and budget.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.