With year-round, agreeable weather and thousands of miles of scenic highways, Arkansas offers much to enjoy for the motorcycle enthusiast. Prior to setting out for a ride with the wind in your face and the sun at your back, obtaining a motorcycle insurance policy to protect you from the known and unknown hazards of the road is a must.
Before you search for motorcycle insurance quotes, however, there are several factors to keep in mind. Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our search engine will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Arkansas Motorcycle Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- An average of 70 motorcycle riders are killed in Arkansas every year.
- Between 35 and 50 percent of all motorcycle fatalities were riders without helmets.
- In 2011, more than 1,400 motorcycle crashes took place in Arkansas, resulting in more than 1,200 injuries.
- When motorcycle accidents do happen, the rider is injured more than 85 percent of the time.
- Although motorcycles account for less than 5 percent of vehicles on the roads in Arkansas, they make up 14 percent of traffic fatalities.
Why is Motorcycle Insurance Important?
When a crash between a car and a motorcycle occurs, the motorcyclist is 26 times more likely to be injured or killed compared to any of the occupants of the car. Two-wheeled vehicles are inherently more dangerous than a typicla car, but that's not the only reason bikes are involved in so many accidents. Some of the same reasons that make motorcycles so fun and thrilling to ride are the very same reasons they are at increased risks for collisions:
- Many bikes are extremely fast and maneuverable, making it difficult for other motorists to anticipate their movements.
- Motorcycles are smaller and easy to miss by inattentive drivers.
- Inexperience in operating a motorcycle can result in high risk-taking behavior and cause accidents.
Not only does having insurance protect riders from costly repairs to their bike if they are involved in a crash, but it can also help pay for medical bills should you be injured while riding your motorcycle.
Am I Required to Carry Motorcycle Insurance in Arkansas?
According to Arkansas state law, it is illegal to ride a motorcycle on public streets without obtaining minimum insurance requirements.
In order to title, register, and legally operate your motorcycle, you must purchase an insurance policy that meets the same liability coverage requirements you’d have to meet if you were insuring a regular four-wheeled, private passenger vehicle. Those requirements are:
- $25,000 per person for bodily injury
- $50,000 per accident for two or more people
- $25,000 to cover property damage
Remember, however, that these are the minimum standards and you may find it necessary to increase your limits and add other coverage options to your motorcycle insurance policy.
What Does Motorcycle Insurance Cover in AR?
Most Arkansas insurance companies will offer a variety of coverage options while you build your motorcycle insurance policy, including:
- Liability coverage: This can help pay for costs associated with damage or injuries you cause another person while operating your bike. This can include medical payments, as well as court and legal fees, should you face a lawsuit from an injured party.
- Collision coverage: This can help pay for repairs to your bike should you be involved in an accident, regardless of who is at fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: This can help pay for repairs to or replacement of your motorcycle if it is damaged or totaled by a severe weather event, fire, theft or vandalism.
- Accessories coverage: This can help pay to replace any damaged gear such as helmets or other safety equipment you use with your bike.
Better Motorcycle Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Can I Find Motorcycle Insurance for My Particular Bike?
Motorcycles come in all shapes and sizes, and you may be curious if an insurance policy is available for your particular bike if it is one of the more uncommon models. If you are able to register your two-wheeled vehicle with your local Arkansas Department of Motor Vehicles, chances are there is an insurance policy that fits your needs. Most Arkansas insurance providers will insure the following types of motorcycles:
- Standard bikes
- Sport bikes (or "crotch rockets")
- Touring bikes
- Sport touring bikes
- Dual-sport bikes
What Will My Motorcycle Insurance Quote Look Like?
As no two riders are alike, neither will any two motorcycle insurance quotes be identical. It's difficult to estimate an average motorcycle insurance quote without knowing a few details. Most Arkansas insurance companies take several factors into consideration when calculating your insurance quote, including:
- Your age
- Your gender
- Your bike
- How you use it
- How you store it
For example, a 45-year-old Arkansas female who has an older bike with lower CCs, and stores it in a garage when not in use, will find significantly lower insurance quotes than an 18-year-old male with a brand new crotch rocket who uses street parking. Your quote will also depend on whether you choose liability-only coverage versus a comprehensive policy. In general, motorcycle insurance quotes can vary anywhere between a few hundred dollars per year, to more than $1,000 annually for inexperienced riders with high-powered bikes.
Where Can I Find Motorcycle Insurance in AR?
While it's impossible to take all the risk out of motorcycle riding, it is possible to reduce your risks significantly by properly insuring your bike. Knowledgeable, independent insurance agents in the TrustedChoice.com network are always available to answer your questions, suggest coverage options best suited for your bike, and even assist you in filing a claim. These agents have years of experience working with Arkansas insurance companies, enabling them to find you a number of quotes with the best coverage options at the most affordable rates. Talk with a local independent agent to find out how you can ride with peace of mind knowing you are protected with a motorcycle insurance policy that meets your needs and budget.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.
insurance information institute