How much does Delaware home insurance cost?
Delaware homeowners enjoy some of the lowest rates on home insurance in the nation, with an average annual premium of only $736. The average national premium for homeowners insurance is $1,132.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
What does my Delaware home insurance do for me?
Think of homeowners insurance as your financial backup plan for the times when bad things happen to your home unexpectedly. A homeowners policy does the following:
- Pays for repairs to your home and belongings
- Example: A tree falls on your house, and rain ruins your 60" Samsung TV.
- Pays for someone else's injuries or property damage when it's your fault
- Example: Your kid is playing baseball and accidentally smacks the ball through your neighbor's window.
- Pays for temporary living expenses when your home is damaged
- Example: You need a hotel while your house's roof is being repaired due to a fallen tree.
What are the top 5 Delaware home insurance claims?
- Wind and hail damage
- Water damage and freezing
- Property damage
- Fire and lightning damage
How is my Delaware homeowners insurance calculated?
Insurance carriers calculate the cost of a home insurance policy by asking "How likely is it that something bad will happen?" The more likely it is that something bad will happen, the more expensive the home insurance policy will be, and vice versa. We call these potential disasters "risk."
Below are two examples of risks facing homeowners in the state of Delaware.
Crime rates in Delaware are slightly higher than the national average, making theft a serious concern for all homeowners.
- Theft rate in Delaware: 26.91 thefts per 1,000 residents
- Theft rate in U.S.: 24.9 thefts per 1,000 residents
Winter weather in Delaware can be especially severe for homeowners. The extreme cold, frozen pipes and snow melt can do serious damage to homes.
- Number of catastrophes: 20
- Number of tornadoes: 1
- Number of flood insurance claims: 10
- Property damage from weather: $420,000
Find the Best Delaware Homeowners Insurance Today
If you're shopping for comprehensive homeowners insurance in Delaware, choose an independent insurance agent. These agents aren't tied to a specific carrier, so they can offer quotes on multiple policies, giving you more options and lower rates on the home insurance you need.