With a relaxing lifestyle away from the big cities, the Treasure Coast offers an easy life. There are many things to enjoy in the growing community of Fort Pierce for families and singles alike. But to get around to enjoy them means having a car, and owning a car requires auto insurance. The best Fort Pierce auto insurance policy for you is based on many things, including state requirements, your lifestyle, and your car.
In order to navigate all the options to find the best policy for you, talk to an Independent Insurance Agent. They will get you multiple quotes so that you can compare to find the best policy for your needs at a price you can afford. Insuring your car is quite expensive in Florida. The figures from recent years tell the story:
- The US average is $1,311 per year for car insurance premiums.
- The average in Florida is $1,742 per year.
- This ranks the state 5th overall.
- There were $19,737,799 claimed car insurance losses in Florida.
There are many reasons why car insurance is more expensive in Florida, but it mainly comes down to how crazy things can get on the roads in the big cities. It’s not as expensive in Fort Pierce, but you still have to watch your coverage to make sure it is right for you. There are always many things you can do to keep your car insurance affordable as well. A garage or other protection brings the premium cost down over parking in the street, for example. And insurance cost depends a lot on the make and model of your car, so if you are considering buying a new one you can ask what it would cost to insure first.
Florida Car Insurance Requirements
State law mandates that every driver on the roads of Florida has some minimal insurance coverage. This includes:
- Bodily Injury Liability - Florida law requires a minimum of $10,000 per person covered and a minimum of $20,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability - The state requires a minimum of $20,000 in protection against damage to any property in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection - This is also required for all motorists, with a minimum of $10,000 in protection against injury.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage - Coverage against uninsured drivers is not required in Florida, but it is important for reasons discussed below.
Above and beyond the demands of state law, you can also select to have what is called a comprehensive policy. This will cover any damage to your car for any reason, including theft, storms, and vandalism. Many policies will even include a rental when your car is in the shop so that you can always get around. It’s important to select the right policy for your lifestyle and not simply opt for the lowest price.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Florida
While state law requires insurance on every driver, it’s surprising how few motorists carry it. The figures are:
- In the US as a whole 12.6% of all drivers carry no insurance.
- A stunning 23.8% are uninsured in Florida.
This is one of the main reasons why car insurance is so expensive in Florida. Many drivers wisely opt for uninsured motorist coverage, even though it is not required. This pays out quickly in the event you are in an accident with a driver who is not carrying insurance, avoiding long hassles with lawyers and the courts. If you are injured in an accident with an uninsured driver the potential cost to you is much more than the value of your car - medical bills can be nearly unlimited. Uninsured motorist coverage is definitely worth considering in Fort Pierce.
Number of Auto Thefts in Florida
On average, the rate of auto theft is actually lower in Florida:
- Across the US, there were 2.94 thefts per 1,000 cars in recent years.
- In Florida, the rate was 2.46 per 1,000 cars in the same year.
Some makes and models are more heavily targeted by thieves for a number of reasons - they are easier to steal, easier to sell when “hot”, or have a larger market for parts. If you are contemplating buying a new car you may want to check to see if it falls into this category and is more expensive to insure. No matter what, there are many things you can do to minimize your auto theft risk and keep your insurance claims down so that you maintain the lowest cost for your car insurance.
Find a Great Fort Pierce Car Insurance Policy
With so many options, finding the best car insurance for your needs can be daunting. Make an appointment with your independent insurance agent today to understand the options for your vehicle and lifestyle so that you can get the quote that fits your needs and your budget the best.