It doesn’t get any better than the Florida Panhandle for fantastic beaches and a good life. That’s the main reason so many people are coming to Fort Walton Beach, FL every day. Nearby Eglin Air Force Base is also a draw, but it’s still a bit of a commute. You need a car to get around and really enjoy the amenities of the mildest year-round climate in the nation.
Driving a car means having car insurance. In order to find the Fort Walton Beach auto insurance that fits your car and your lifestyle at a cost you can afford, talk to your Independent Insurance Agent today. Your agent can help you navigate the wide range of options and requirements to find the policy that fits your needs the best. Car insurance is expensive in Florida – there’s no sugar-coating it. Consider this data from recent years:
- The annual U.S. average car insurance costs $1,311 per year.
- In Florida, it averages $1,742 every year.
- This ranks the state fifth overall.
- There was a total of $19,737,799 in claimed car insurance losses in Florida alone.
While many of these statistics are higher in the big cities, it’s still very much worth your while to shop around for the best Fort Walton Beach-based policy. Your car insurance rates are based on many different factors, starting with the make and model of your car. Other factors include your driving record, age, and miles you commute every day. Based on your lifestyle and needs, you will often find very different rates from different companies. Finding the best car insurance is always a personal choice based on many factors.
Florida Car Insurance Requirements
Florida law mandates a minimum level of insurance to be carried by all drivers. The right policy for you starts with this legal requirement and builds from there, so it is important to understand the laws. All drivers must have the following coverage:
- Bodily Injury Liability: State law requires a minimum of $10,000 per person covered and a minimum of $20,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: The state requires a minimum of $20,000 in protection against damage to any property in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is also required for all motorists, with a minimum of $10,000 in protection against injury.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Coverage against uninsured drivers is not required in Florida, but it is important for reasons discussed below.
Above and beyond these requirements, you can elect to have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle. This is coverage for any ding or nick, whether it is caused by an accident, vandalism or theft. It’s the best way to keep your car looking great no matter what comes your way on the roads.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Florida
Why is car insurance so expensive in Florida? The main reason is the number of drivers who don’t carry any insurance at all, despite the laws requiring them to. The figures tell the tale:
- Nationally, about 12.6% of all drivers carry no insurance.
- In Florida, that figure is a staggering 23.8%.
While coverage protecting you from uninsured motorists is not required by law, it is a very good idea in Fort Walton Beach. In case of an accident, this will pay you if the other driver does not have insurance no matter what happens to you. Without this coverage, you could be on the hook for an accident that is not your fault. Many drivers in Florida take this coverage because, with nearly one in four drivers out there not covered, it is very important.
Number of Auto Thefts in Florida
Car theft in Florida is just a bit less likely than the national average:
- Across the U.S., there were 2.94 thefts per 1,000 cars in recent years.
- In Florida, the rate is 2.46 per 1,000 cars.
While not a large concern in Fort Walton Beach, car theft is something you still need to protect yourself from. If you do not have a comprehensive policy, the risk of your car being stolen is entirely on you. There are many things you can do to reduce the risk of auto theft, but the most important is to have a secure garage or another place to park your car at night. It’s also important to use the alarm that comes on nearly every car today.
Find a Great Fort Walton Beach Car Insurance Policy
Your car insurance policy has to fit your car, your lifestyle, and your budget. With all of the choices that go into this, along with state requirements, the best thing you can do is to talk to your independent insurance agent. Your agent will find the best policy for your needs and get you multiple quotes so that you can compare them and choose the most affordable coverage for yourself.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.