Port St. Lucie, Florida is located 125 miles southeast of Orlando, and 113 miles north of Miami. The city’s population is over 200,000.
If you own a house in Port St. Lucie, it’s important to protect your investment in your home with homeowners insurance.
A local independent agent can help you find the right policy. These agents can work with some of the best insurance companies in Florida to find you a reliable policy at a competitive price. Contact an independent insurance agent near you to start comparing customized home insurance quotes in Port St. Lucie.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Port St. Lucie, Florida?
Home insurance rates in Florida are higher than the national average, mostly because of the elevated risk for severe weather across the state. Comparison shopping can help you find the best policy for your needs and budget.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- Florida average yearly premium: $1,951
The actual rates that you’re quoted for homeowners insurance will vary from one homeowner to the next. This is because home insurance rates are based on several factors that help insurance companies determine the unique risks for your property. These factors include:
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached, multi-family home, townhouse, condo, rental property, etc.)
- The size of your home, the year it was built, the materials used in its construction, and the age of your roof
- The crime rate and weather risks in your community and neighborhood
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your homeowners coverage with another policy like car insurance or life insurance
The amount of coverage you need and the deductibles you choose also impact your rates. Most insurance companies offer a variety of discounts to help you save.
The best way to make sure that you are getting the best price is to shop around. An independent insurance agent can get quotes from multiple insurance companies, so you can compare costs and coverage and make the best choice for your needs and budget.
What Does Port St. Lucie Homeowners Insurance Cover?
Your home insurance policy covers numerous risks that you may face as a Port St. Lucie homeowner, including damage caused by fires, severe weather, theft, and more. Your policy includes the following types of property coverage:
- Dwelling coverage: Pays to repair or replace your damaged home, and will even pay out the value of your home if it is a total loss.
- Personal property coverage: Pays for damage to your insured personal property, such as furniture, clothing, artwork, and so on.
- Other structures coverage: Covers any detached structures located on your property (sheds, fences, detached garages).
- Temporary living expenses coverage: Pays for additional living expenses (hotel bills, food, etc.) if you are forced to live somewhere else while your home is being repaired.
You will want to be sure you have sufficient dwelling coverage to enable you to repair or rebuild your house, and enough contents coverage to fully repair or replace all of your personal property. That way, if your home is destroyed in a catastrophic event like a fire, you will not suffer financially.
Your Port St. Lucie homeowners insurance policy also includes personal liability coverage. It is designed to protect you when someone claims you have caused an injury or property damage. It covers court costs, legal fees, and even settlements or judgments levied against you if you are sued.
Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Flood Damage?
Homeowners insurance covers a wide range of problems that homeowners can encounter. But it’s important to recognize that your Port St. Lucie home insurance policy does not cover flood damage.
Flooding can be a serious problem. According to FEMA, just one inch of water in your home can cause as much as $25,000 in property damage. Because of the coastal location, hurricanes, and tropical storms, 20% of the properties in Port St. Lucie have a chance of being severely affected by flooding over the next 30 years.
That’s why it’s a good idea to purchase flood insurance to supplement your home insurance policy. When you purchase a policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) you can affordably get up to $250,000 in structural coverage and $100,000 in contents coverage for your home.
What Is the Burglary Rate in Port St. Lucie, FL?
The burglary rate in your community can have an impact on your home insurance rates. The burglary rate in Port St. Lucie is lower than both the state and national averages. This is great news for local residents, as lower crime rates can also help to keep home insurance rates down.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 people in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 people in Florida: 3.38
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 people in Port St. Lucie: 0.92
If you do experience a break-in, it’s good to know that your home insurance policy can help you recover from your loss.
Keep in mind that many insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have security features installed in their homes, including burglar alarms, video surveillance systems, barred windows, and deadbolt locks. Be sure to ask your insurance agent about any potential home security discounts that you may be eligible for.
Who Are the Best Homeowners Insurance Companies in Port St. Lucie, FL?
It can be simple to find the best homeowners insurance companies in Port St. Lucie, FL. A local independent insurance agent can help you get home insurance quotes from multiple insurance companies, so you can select the best policy for your needs and budget.
How Can an Independent Insurance Agent Help You Find Homeowners Insurance Quotes in Port St. Lucie?
Find an independent insurance agent, and get one-on-one consultation and affordable options for the best coverage for your unique needs. Your agent will work with you free of charge, offering you a variety of options so you can make the best choice.
What’s more, your agent will be there for you when claim time comes. They know the ins and outs of the process and will make sure your claim is handled appropriately.
Contact an agent today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.