Des Moines, Iowa, is home to some of the world's largest insurance companies. It also boasts of botanical gardens, sculpture parks, and leisure.
If you own a home in this diverse city of 217,521 residents, you'll need protection. An independent insurance agent can find you the best pricing in town. Connect with a local agent on TrustedChoice.com to get started.
Property Crimes in Des Moines, IA
Des Moines's crime rate may be out of your control. When shopping for homeowners insurance, it's essential to note that costs are also based on the area. Let's look at the numbers:
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 households in the US: 376
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 households in IA: 352.6
- Number of burglaries per 100,000 households in Des Moines: 1099
Des Moines is a highly populated city which makes the crime rate higher. Since there are more people, there are more property crimes that occur.
When your independent agent runs quotes for your home insurance, the area's burglary rate will impact your premium. To know the exact pricing for your homeowners policy, connect with your local agent.
Natural Disasters in Des Moines, IA
Your home policy will protect you and your family from named perils. These typically include most natural disasters. However, there are some exceptions you need to be aware of. Let's take a look at catastrophic events that occur in Iowa:
- The average number of tornadoes: 49.2
- The most common natural disaster: Flooding
- The number of claims paid in 2016: 291,074,000
- The number of federally declared catastrophes since 1953: 71
When obtaining coverage, you need the policy to be written right the first go around. If a claim happens, and you're without proper protection, you would have to pay out of pocket for the damage.
The top most common property claims in Iowa:
#1 - Flooding and water damage
#2 - Severe storms and lightning
#3 - Tornadoes
#4 - Severe ice storms and freezing
#5 - Burglary and other property crimes
What about flood damage in Des Moines:
Contrary to popular belief, your primary homeowners policy excludes flood damage. With the number one property claim in Iowa being floods, this is a policy you don't want to be without.
To get proper flood protection, do this:
- Contact your independent agent
- Have your agent pull your elevation certificate to determine the flood zone
- Your agent will quote flood insurance through FEMA approved carriers
- Obtain coverage through the best option presented by your agent
The additional policy is worth the cost to avoid thousands of dollars in damage to your home. Connect with your Des Moines agent to get coverage.
Liability Insurance for Your Des Moines Home
Personal liability insurance is the main coverage on your home policy. The majority of carriers require liability when insuring your property. Mortgage companies ask for liability and dwelling coverage when you need a loan. Some instances where your liability would apply:
- Bodily injury to another person on your property
- Slander caused by a member of the household
- A pet bite claim
- Damage to another person's property
An umbrella insurance policy will also give you an additional line of liability coverage. This policy will apply when your underlying home limits have been exhausted from a larger claim. Your Des Moines independent agent can help you decide which limits of liability work for you.
The Cost to Insure Your Des Moines, IA, Home
Homeowners insurance costs are customized to your specific situation. Your home and who you are will determine the price you pay. To get a better idea of what premiums look like, see below:
- National average: $2,305
- Iowa average: $2,540
Whether your rates are above or below the national or state averages will depend on your criteria. If you're aware of the factors that carriers use, you may be able to lower your rates:
- Your credit score
- Coverage you select
- Year, square footage, and construction type of your home
- The replacement cost of your home
- Carrier discounts that may apply
- Your insurance score
- The local crime rate
The state of Iowa is ranked 20th in the nation for the highest home insurance cost. This means you're right in the middle of the pricing market, and that's not a bad place to be. Connect with your Des Moines agent to get your exact cost for homeowners insurance.
How to Insure an Airbnb in Des Moines, IA
A rental home, whether short-term or long-term, has different insurance than your primary. Since another party will occupy the property, the insurance carriers take that risk into account. The various homeowners policy types are below:
- Landlord insurance will insure the replacement cost of the home and your interests as the owner. If you cannot rent out the location due to a related claim, loss of use coverage will help cover the mortgage.
- Secondary home insurance will insure your vacation home. Given the property will be occupied less throughout the year, the carriers charge accordingly. This policy will provide similar coverage as your primary home insurance.
An Independent Agent in Des Moines, IA
When you're looking for the best insurance for your Des Moines home, you need someone you trust. An independent insurance agent works on your behalf.
They have access to several carriers, so you have options on coverage and price. Connect with a local independent agent on TrustedChoice.com.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.